How RGB works and what cables cary RGB signals?

K

Kory

Enthusiast
Ok heres whats going on i want the best picture posible with my ps2. The ps2 supports component video out. In the ps2 setup options you can select weather you want y pr pb for the component out or if you want RGB. I know that RGB has beter quality then component because it has h sync and h sync right? So how can i get the RGB out and connect it to a vga input on a monitor? Will i need to buy a SCART connector for the ps2(unless they make a vga cable that plugs into the ps2)? Then how can i get it into my monitor?
The bottom line is how can i get the best picture from my ps2? Thanks for you help.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All signal types include red, green, blue, horizontal sync, and vertical sync information. The more cables you have, the more that information is separated out and the more information can travel down the cables.

The PS2 does not have enough information travelling down the cables that you are likely to see any gain whatsoever in using a RGB/SCART connector vs. a normal Component connector. As well, the video will still be a VIDEO signal, not a computer/data signal. It isn't designed to be hooked up to a 1024x768 monitor and look killer, it is only designed to be hooked up to TVs.

The PS3 addresses this a bit more, but it may still be designed for televisions, not computer monitors. So, possibly, no XGA, SXGA, or UXGA resolutions, but 720p, 1080i, and 1080p will be there.

K

KoDt

Audiophyte
the best quality you could get out of your ps2 would be component cables and an HDTV. There is a VGA box that accepts a component input and will display the HD resolutions on your monitor (something most VGA boxes dont do)

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse&category_id=759df22fdaeabe0bcd58c745d6286257

So if you dont have an HDTV that would probaby be the cheapest solution to get HD resolutions with your PS2. I suppose a straight VGA cable would potentially provide the highest quality signal, but you would need a widescreen monitor that could display the HD resolutions, but I think widescreen computer LCD's have a native resolultion of 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 which would be the 1080i resolution, so it wouldnt work anyway.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
In addition to R, G, and B, VGA cables and connectors have additional data lines that the computer/video card use to establish sync timing, resolution and more. The PS2 is unable to generate this info, and there really isn't a quality difference between YRB and RGB unless you have that extra info. Don't bother with any conversion. If you have an RGB input, set your PS2 to RGB. If you have component input, use YRB.

C

cokeman

Audiophyte
The bottom line is how can i get the best picture from my ps2

One thing you have to remember is that the games that come out for the ps2 are not in high def so if you hook up with either Component or the other one it will still be 480i
unless the game says it is in hi def (eg grand turismo 4 has a set-up to set it for 1080i ) but most ppl don't know this because they just want to play the game. one other thing if you have a xbox alot the games for that system are in hi def.

One other thing that alot ppl don't knows is that alot game that on the ps2 are in PLIIX or just PL very few are in DD or
DTS where as xbox are in DD and DTS maybe

hope this help a little cokeman :)

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't hook either ps2 or xbox up to a high def tv if I were you. I use to play tiger woods 2005 on xbox on a 70in xbr and man the picture was terrible the graphics on those systems are not good enough for hdtv the new systems are though.

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
jmgillespie said:
I wouldn't hook either ps2 or xbox up to a high def tv if I were you. I use to play tiger woods 2005 on xbox on a 70in xbr and man the picture was terrible the graphics on those systems are not good enough for hdtv the new systems are though.
I wouldn't call that TV a videophile's dream, either.

Play on a 55711 CRT is very nice, especially when through a DVDO-HD!

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jmgillespie said:
I played Tiger Woods 2005 on my xbox with my 48" Mitsu and it looked great, you must have had something hooked up wrong, we even went as far as changing the connection from component to composite a bunch of times just to make sure we were really seeing a better picture, there was no comparison

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis