M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
On a related note about radio, we have a station called Bob FM and their slogan is 'we play anything, as long as it's good'. They do play some current music but the selection is very much like my personal music collection on random play.

At first I thought Bob FM really was owned by one guy that was sick of radio. They always say things like 'Bob loves music, but radio - not so much. So he did what you would do if you could - he bought the radio station'. They also throw in little quips that make it sound like 'Bob' really is native to Austin - like 'Mopac is known as Loop 1 but one thing's for sure - it's no loop'.

Turns out that Bob FM and Jack FM are the same type of radio format and many cities have them. Anybody else have anything like that in their town?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You guys must be waking up real early every day :D.
ZING!

This is why I never invested in high-def music formats (DVD-A, SACD).. they don't work in a car.

Don't you own some CDs? The radio is always a let down....

SheepStar

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
The simple solution to better "radio" is a music subscription service such as Napster or Rhapsody. Both have many streaming stations, some of which can be had for free. However, for about $15 per month, with Rhapsody you can download the contents of many streaming stations to an MP3 player that is Rhapsody DNS compatible. Some of these devices are quite inexpensive. The quality is "near" CD.

As you listen to a station, if you don't like a tune, you can just skip it. You can't do that with satelite radio.

Oh, and by the way, Napster and Rhapsody will both support 3 PCs and 3 MP3 players for one $15 per month fee. If you have multiple listeners in your family and/or multiple vehicles, that's a lot cheaper.
I will second this vote. I've been using Rhapsody for 4 years now. I connect 2 PCs, 2 Roku M1000s, and a Creative Zen MP3 player. I love it and it fits my ADHD music listening habits. Now if only I could find a reliable way to get it in my car.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
ZING!

This is why I never invested in high-def music formats (DVD-A, SACD).. they don't work in a car.

Don't you own some CDs? The radio is always a let down....

SheepStar
Yeah I see your post is at 6:18am! But not sure what you talkin about man..CDs? I do have CDs. But my listening habits are very specific and I end up listening to my favorite CDs over and over again. So I figure I might as well just hear them at home where the SQ and ambience are much better than in the car. Don't want to get worn out on my favorites! That is why I mostly listen to the radio in the car.

These days though I'm rediscovering an old, almost forgotten experience... silence!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I see your post is at 6:18am! But not sure what you talkin about man..CDs? I do have CDs. But my listening habits are very specific and I end up listening to my favorite CDs over and over again. So I figure I might as well just hear them at home where the SQ and ambience are much better than in the car. Don't want to get worn out on my favorites! That is why I mostly listen to the radio in the car.

These days though I'm rediscovering an old, almost forgotten experience... silence!
Oh, I only quoted your post to say "ZING", the rest was directed at the OP.

SheepStar

dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
Tom,
seek out a College radio station, usually the freshest and certainly the least media controlled.

That's the ticket. I live in Raleigh, NC and am blessed with having several college stations within reach. The "big boys" are NCSU, Duke, and UNC, but the best are the three local college stations located at HBCUs (WSHA, WNCU, & WFSS). I get my choice of real Jazz and real Blues 27/7 as opposed to the "Alice In Chains Marathon".

The left side of the dial is where it's at.

Shotover

Shotover

Audiophyte
Mobile Internet Radio

I have Internet radio in my car and it sounds great. I'm streaming on my Motorola Q to my Bluetooth Audio Pioneer head unit.

Radio Talk, News, Sports and 100+- Music links are on:

TalkStreamLive.mobi

Many commerical free and 128kbs music streams.

Shotover

Shotover

Audiophyte
Mobile Internet Radio

Tom,

I have had Internet radio in my car for a month now and love it. I listen to Mancow and Glenn Beck driving to work. On my way home, depending on my mood, I listen to The Edge Rocks, Radio Free Charleston or Punk Radio Cast.

All at 128 kbs, commercial free and band and song titles present on the player.

I think that the car is the best place to listen to radio. And now that Internet radio is in your car, you will stop hating radio.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis