How Nuts Do You Get Cleaning Your PS3

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
I wipe the top off of mine with my hand about once every 6 months.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have a video here that many hopefully will find interesting, It's a fan test and some use this hidden feature to clean out the dust from inside the PS3 40Gb this test is only on the the 40GB PS3. I don't not recommend this because the chances of bricking your console is high. Then you will have a PS3 paperweight afterwards,I have heard alot of people complain about fan noise but I bet your fan doesn't sound like this if it does it's time for a complete cleaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oo7nfUuFB4&feature=related

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Here is a report on the failure rate of the PS3 due to YLOD

According to Ars Technica, the number of PlayStation 3s that have experienced failure is well within the normal failure rates in the consumer electronics industry.

However, the BBC television programme Watchdog aired a report investigating the purported "yellow light of death" issue, which affects about 0.5% of PlayStation 3s. The yellow light indicates a non-specific hardware failure.

The program also noted that the PlayStation 3 has a one-year warranty (typical of most consumer electronics products). Out-of-warranty PlayStation 3 owners can pay Sony a set fee for a refurbished console.

In response to the tone of the program, senior vice president and managing director, Ray Maguire issued a document criticizing the program and citing potential attempt to harm Sony and PlayStation brand, and stating that the numbers of faulty PlayStation 3s the program mentioned are not evidence of a manufacturing defect.

here is a link that shows failure rate for all 3 consoles this one is an update. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics.ars

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Found this thought it might be interesting and thought I would share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
PS3 recovery menu. the intro is a little long.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I dismantle all my gear every 4-6 months and clean it thoroughly. That includes all PC's Server, and any audio equipment. I'm right there with ya. I also reapply the thermal paste every year.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I dismantle all my gear every 4-6 months and clean it thoroughly. That includes all PC's Server, and any audio equipment. I'm right there with ya. I also reapply the thermal paste every year.
Do you have a preference to which thermal paste you use? I like to use AS5 because it has the texture of peanut butter. I know I have said this before the maintenance that I do on my PS3 has prevented alot of problems for me so far. I am not willing to give Sony a penny for problems I can fix myself especially out of warranty unless it's YLOD.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
I also reapply the thermal paste every year.

Do you have experience with the deterioration of thermal paste? I had a Northbridge heatsink come unseated once on a brand new board, but I've never felt the need to change the paste otherwise.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
15 blade fan or 19 blade fan?

Now there is alot of info on this topic some claim that a 19 blade fan will help in cooling a PS3 and some say it's BS. Now a 19 blade fan was manufactured in Japan and released in the Nov, 2006 - Jan 2007 batch of PS3's after that production was moved to China and that batch of PS3's have a 15 blade fan. The Slim comes with a 17 blade fan, the reason I mention all this is because 2 issues seems to come up often is fan noise and heat. The theory is that if you replace the 15 blade fan with the 19 it will help quite it down,there are no facts to support this theory and that the 19 blade fan will move more air to aid in the cooling of the PS3. There are a number of reasons for these 2 issues.

1)Location and Position of PS3
2)Room Temp.
3)The PS3 itself.
4)Maintenance

Number 3 is a tough one since no PS3 is alike,I have heard that some are loud and some are quite regardless of model #,HDD size,Fat or Slim. Some PS3's have one batch of CPUs GPUs and so forth,while another group of PS3's will have a different batch of the components, which means no PS3 will have identical specs of these components. This is why these 2 issues happen to some and not to others.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have a preference to which thermal paste you use? I like to use AS5 because it has the texture of peanut butter. I know I have said this before the maintenance that I do on my PS3 has prevented alot of problems for me so far. I am not willing to give Sony a penny for problems I can fix myself especially out of warranty unless it's YLOD.
Yes I used to use AS5, now I use AS Ceramique as it is not conductive whatsoever, so if it gets on a critical component its not as big of a deal as it can't do any damage. Also it does as good a job or better than AS5.

Do you have experience with the deterioration of thermal paste? I had a Northbridge heatsink come unseated once on a brand new board, but I've never felt the need to change the paste otherwise.
I do somewhat. I would say improper or overaplication of thermal paste is more common than deterioration. I'm just anal from my days of extreme overclocking as I needed every last degree to get that 2% extra of overclocking headroom.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Now there is alot of info on this topic some claim that a 19 blade fan will help in cooling a PS3 and some say it's BS. Now a 19 blade fan was manufactured in Japan and released in the Nov, 2006 - Jan 2007 batch of PS3's after that production was moved to China and that batch of PS3's have a 15 blade fan. The Slim comes with a 17 blade fan, the reason I mention all this is because 2 issues seems to come up often is fan noise and heat. The theory is that if you replace the 15 blade fan with the 19 it will help quite it down,there are no facts to support this theory and that the 19 blade fan will move more air to aid in the cooling of the PS3. There are a number of reasons for these 2 issues.

1)Location and Position of PS3
2)Room Temp.
3)The PS3 itself.
4)Maintenance

Number 3 is a tough one since no PS3 is alike,I have heard that some are loud and some are quite regardless of model #,HDD size,Fat or Slim. Some PS3's have one batch of CPUs GPUs and so forth,while another group of PS3's will have a different batch of the components, which means no PS3 will have identical specs of these components. This is why these 2 issues happen to some and not to others.
Correct. Anything that is silicon based is susceptible to the affects of batches. So the heat and power usage will vary from PS3 to PS3 due to the fact that they are built in batches. There really is no way around this.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Here is the best way to clean your lens on the PS3 (do this after your warranty is up)

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Here are some pics I found of what Sony's thermal paste looks like. This is how mine also looked when I opened it up.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis