How much low content programmed into each speaker channel for movies?

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
This is a dumb question that I can't find the answer to.

When you have a 5.1/7.1/etc. movie track, how much bass is programmed into each of the speaker channels (not the LFE). That is, does the audio engineer manually roll off the L/R towers at 60 hz, or is this track programmed all the way down just like the LFE?

If the engineer does not roll off these channels, is there a certain amount of bass one expects from each channel?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
You realize that you determine how deep a signal your speakers get, by using the bass management settings in your processor/AVR, right?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a dumb question that I can't find the answer to.

When you have a 5.1/7.1/etc. movie track, how much bass is programmed into each of the speaker channels (not the LFE). That is, does the audio engineer manually roll off the L/R towers at 60 hz, or is this track programmed all the way down just like the LFE?

If the engineer does not roll off these channels, is there a certain amount of bass one expects from each channel?
I suspect this is variable.

Since I have robust speakers all round, especially the rears which have a huge bass output, I can tell you on some movies there is lots of bass on all channels.

In War Horse for instance there is action from the rear which pack a huge wallop.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Each of the main channels is full range (3Hz on up), and if played at reference level can potentially peak at 105dB. AFAIK the LFE channel is also technically full range, though every AVR/processor measurement I've bothered to look at indicates they will filter it at 120Hz. Of course, the LFE channel is bumped up by 10dB, meaning at reference level it can peak at 115dB.

As mentioned above, if your speakers aren't up to the task of reproducing a full range signal (and the vast majority aren't), bass management is recommended.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
That answers my questions. Thanks for the input. Yes, I understand about bass management, but am currently running towers full range and was considering a downgrade in amp power. If it proved to be inadequate, I could cross them over as I do with the other speakers. Thanks!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Since I have robust speakers all round, especially the rears which have a huge bass output, I can tell you on some movies there is lots of bass on all channels.
That's real good to know. I'm fixin' to replace my front towers. Have a sister that could use some speakers. I've been debating whether to move my front towers to the rear and give her my current rear KEF eggs, or keep the eggs and give her the towers. Think I'll give her the eggs. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis