How Much Did You Spend on Your 5.1 Speaker System?

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
$300.oo
$500.oo
$1000.00
$1500.oo
$2000.oo
or a lot MORE!

My reason for asking this question is that my wife thinks I've lost my mind wanting to spend 1k for a 5.1 system :p from SVS (SVS SBS-01 5.1 system). I've been trying to up-grade from a HTiB Curtis speaker system 40w (one speaker per speaker) and a 40w powered sub for two (2) years now:mad:.
She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :(. So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTS members to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not :confused:.

Thanks to all the reply,
hyghwayman

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
$300.oo
$500.oo
$1000.00
$1500.oo
$2000.oo
or a lot MORE!

My reason for asking this question is that my wife thinks I've lost my mind wanting to spend 1k for a 5.1 system :p from SVS (SVS SBS-01 5.1 system). I've been trying to up-grade from a HTiB Curtis speaker system 40w (one speaker per speaker) and a 40w powered sub for two (2) years now:mad:.
She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :(. So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTS members to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not :confused:.

Thanks to all the reply,
hyghwayman
Honestly the only way to convince her is to take her on some auditions and let her hear speakers in all of the different price points herself. Ohh yeah and I suggest you have her hear some very expensive speakers first, then the cheapest, and then the ones in between.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTS members to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not :confused:
If it were only that easy. :eek:

A lot more. John

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
PSB T45/C40/B15 $1146.00 + $190.00 Freight
HSU VTF2-MKIII $499.00 + $52.00 Freight

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
PSB T45/C40/B15 $1146.00 + $190.00 Freight
HSU VTF2-MKIII $499.00 + $52.00 Freight
The OP didn't ask for recommendations. This is as bad as the guy you came down on for being 23% over budget. :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
or a lot MORE!

She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :(
IMO it will sound a lot better for a few reasons.

1) Identical speakers all the way around. In any HT system it is ideal to have identical speakers all the way around and you will hear it.
2) The SVS subwoofer This goes without saying that SVS is one of the best subs built today.
3) The quality sound these speakers produce vs. other budget speakers.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
IMO it will sound a lot better for a few reasons.

1) Identical speakers all the way around. In any HT system it is ideal to have identical speakers all the way around and you will hear it.
2) The SVS subwoofer This goes without saying that SVS is one of the best subs built today.
3) The quality sound these speakers produce vs. other budget speakers.
???

You may want to read the op's post again mazer. All I got from it is he wants the prices we spent on our system...that's it. :p

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
???

You may want to read the op's post again mazer. All I got from it is he wants the prices we spent on our system...that's it. :p
"She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :(. So if I could get some data and personal feedback"

What where you saying John? I think the words "personal feedback" means the OP was looking for someone that has auditioned this system to give feedback. Have you auditioned the SVS system?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
"She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :(. So if I could get some data and personal feedback"

What where you saying John?
Doesn't that undo your post # 5 to Guangui then? :p

The question in the title says it all...there is no other question. The data is simply price. Right hyghwayman? If there is more than that in the op, it has missed me...there is but one interrogatory (question) in there. That is what I am "saying" (stating, actually, as saying means spoken...and you don't want to hear what I'm saying now :p). Just kidding. :)

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Mazer and John, you guys could confuse anyone! :D

Anywho, I spent ~$2,000 on my speakers and sub. The way I originally hooked her was by going into a local HT boutique store, and sitting in their HT Demo room with a nice projector, HT style seats and some really nice, expensive equipment and speakers. After about 15 minutes watching a movie, she was really enthralled in how the movie could envelop you, instead of merely watching it.

Well, it worked on her, but I have a backup plan, you could always buy speakers 1 at a time, so it doesn't seem like such a huge 1 time investment. And if that doesn't work, does she have any expensive hobbies? ;) Blackmail can be fun!

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

How much I paid for my 5.2 system

Mains - $1000.00
Subs - $1500
Center - $120
Surrounds - $360.00

The OP asked.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well John in case I miss interpreted what the OP wanted.

I spent $5100 for speakers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
John,

5 posts in this thread and you haven't answered the OP's question? What's up with that? :eek:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
John,

5 posts in this thread and you haven't answered the OP's question? What's up with that? :eek:

What are you on??

Go back and read my initial post (much as you had to for the op). :p

Allow me to help you (again :D): I elected option #6. Shheeeesh. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
In his defence, that was one of the OP's listed answers. You guys have definated jacked this thread though!

Thanks obscby. I was tempted to think it was me....:p

You beat me to the punch. And for the record, I'm just responding, trying to clear the air and set the record straight. One of us is intent on obfuscating the facts...and it's not you obscby! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis