How many times can you rip a cd ?

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
I ripped all my CDs years ago but that computer is gone . I recently ripped them again to a wd net drive in lossless wav. Now I am debating to have a rack mount computer built to stream my music .
I believe older CDs are not an issue but from what I have seen I believe you must be connected to the net to rip anything copy right protection on them or they just don't play .
I heard something mentioned like 5 times you can rip . Am I way off base here ?
I forgot to mention I'm using windows media player 11 to rip all my CDs .

I would also be willing to rip in flac if that helps .I hate to not mention flac as it seems to be all the rage these days ?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's the first that I've heard about that. I think it's unlimited - but maybe someone else here knows better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony made some CDs which wont be able to play or rip in pc based cd-rom, but other than scratches on normal cd - there are not other limitations
One remark: I noticed some of my old CD-Rs (burned at home, not pressed) are getting to be unreadable after 15 years of shelf life

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sony made some CDs which wont be able to play or rip in pc based cd-rom, but other than scratches on normal cd - there are not other limitations
One remark: I noticed some of my old CD-Rs (burned at home, not pressed) are getting to be unreadable after 15 years of shelf life
I've had some CD-Rs that I've burned become unreadable, but they were all the old Memorex white CDs. Not good quality at all. A good quality one should last a very long time

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Unlimited, playing back the disk doesnt degrade it in any way that is significant.
There is no DRM on CDs so they cant prevent you making a copy.

Sony tried putting DRM on disks without telling anyone a while back (as mentioned above) but they were forced to replace the disks without DRM.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I believe older CDs are not an issue but from what I have seen I believe you must be connected to the net to rip anything copy right protection on them or they just don't play .
I heard something mentioned like 5 times you can rip . Am I way off base here ?
I forgot to mention I'm using windows media player 11 to rip all my CDs .
What you may have been hearing is the limit for changing the region code on DVD players. Most players will allow you to change it at most 5 times and the last one you use becomes permanent.

There is no limit to the number of times you can rip a CD, but some CDs do contain copy protection. It's not DRM in the actual sense, it's intentional mastering defects that confuse a computer CD player. They are often known as 'defective by design' discs. But they are fairly rare...

I know I have one disc (Splender, I think) that specifically says it cannot be played on a computer CD player and yet it plays fine and ripped fine too.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Actually I have a lenny kravitz cd that won't rip . Probably those aholes from Sony

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
If you have put that in your PC, it may have installed a rootkit.

How to identify your CD and removal instructions are here.
How To Remove The Sony Drm Rootkit

If it is one of the Sony disks with DRM, you can ask for a replacement.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
If you have put that in your PC, it may have installed a rootkit.

How to identify your CD and removal instructions are here.
How To Remove The Sony Drm Rootkit

If it is one of the Sony disks with DRM, you can ask for a replacement.
Well this is more painful than I thought . Many of my CDs did not rip the first song on the cd . I thought there was something wrong with the cd but now I suspect because it was the most popular song on the cd that it was removed.
Is there better software for ripping ?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I use iTunes. I don't know if I have any disks with the Sony DRM issue, but all of my CDs ripped flawlessly when I did them a few years ago.

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Well this is more painful than I thought . Many of my CDs did not rip the first song on the cd . I thought there was something wrong with the cd but now I suspect because it was the most popular song on the cd that it was removed.
Is there better software for ripping ?
EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is fantastic.
Not sure whats happening with missing songs though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis