How many speakers do you own?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I'm trying to sell most of my speakers on local Craigslist, but for some reasons, instead of selling, I've managed to add three more RBH SX-1010 subs to my menagerie. :eek:

Damn, I hate it when that happens. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well, I'm trying to sell most of my speakers on local Craigslist, but for some reasons, instead of selling, I've managed to add three more RBH SX-1010 subs to my menagerie. :eek:

Damn, I hate it when that happens. :D
Hey Acudeftechguy, what do you have your KEF 201's crossed over to on the RBH subs? Also, are you running each KEF/RBH stack as a full range speaker, or is the subs all being run from the subwoofer output on the receiver?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Paradigm: 7 including Sub
Golden Ear 7 including Sub
Emotiva 2 PC Speakers

HTC One 2 Speakers :)

J

jewel5

Audiophyte
OK here's my current list after selling off a few pairs on ebay.

Dali Helicon 800s in main 2 ch system
Wharfedale Jade 3s also used sometimes in main system
Energy Verita 6.3 and center for HT system
Kef Reference 2s in 2nd den system
Jungson Beauty Deity 2 bookshelves, also used in den system
Swan 6.1s used for computer speakers
Monitor audio BX2 in bedroom
William Schaefer Sheffield towers and monitor speakers just sitting around as extra speakers at the moment

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Acudeftechguy, what do you have your KEF 201's crossed over to on the RBH subs? Also, are you running each KEF/RBH stack as a full range speaker, or is the subs all being run from the subwoofer output on the receiver?
I do stack each of the five 201/2 on 12" stands atop each of the five SX-1010N.

I use the Sub output & 100Hz XO.

The reason is because the center and 2 surrounds wouldn't get much bass action at all. Now the surrounds do get plenty of bass action. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I do stack each of the five 201/2 on 12" stands atop each of the five SX-1010N.

I use the Sub output & 100Hz XO.

The reason is because the center and 2 surrounds wouldn't get much bass action at all. Now the surrounds do get plenty of bass action. :D
Nice! Do you know how flat your FR is at the listening position without any sub equalization? I would guess it's pretty good.

16hz lover

Audioholic Intern
2 pairs of Clements RT-7
Clements surround speakers
Epicure 3.0
Epicure 100
Digital Design studio monitors
Jamboree horn speakers
RtR Series IIE
Mirage .5 bookshelf
Clements ribbon in-wall speakers
DIY 8 ft long sub with (4) Obsidian drivers
lots of raw sub drivers laying around 24" on down

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice! Do you know how flat your FR is at the listening position without any sub equalization? I would guess it's pretty good.
I've never measured FR (besides the Audyssey graphs), but bass seems smooth. :)

It's the first time I've had subs in the rear/side area. Very cool.

One weird thing I've noticed now is that although the bass is even MORE intensely punchy inside the HT room, it no longer sounds very loud OUTISIDE the room. Before, all the walls in the adjacent rooms would shake like a rag doll. But now they don't shake. But the bass inside the HT is more intense than before. Just seems weird because I figured the opposite would occur. :D

Well, actually now that I think about it, it does make sense. :D

The bass response is a lot smoother now and does not require nearly the same SPL to achieve that tight gut-punchy bass.

So I may HEAR & FEEL more bass INSIDE the room, but the Sub channel levels are now substantially LESS HOT than before. So that's why I don't notice (hear/feel) the bass as much OUTSIDE the room.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
The more I upgrade, the simplier I want to have it and the less speakers remain...currently B&W 802 Diamond with a pair of JL F113 ...as of next Tuesday only B&W 800 Diamond.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
OK here's my current list after selling off a few pairs on ebay.

Dali Helicon 800s in main 2 ch system
Wharfedale Jade 3s also used sometimes in main system
Energy Verita 6.3 and center for HT system
Kef Reference 2s in 2nd den system
Jungson Beauty Deity 2 bookshelves, also used in den system
Swan 6.1s used for computer speakers
Monitor audio BX2 in bedroom
William Schaefer Sheffield towers and monitor speakers just sitting around as extra speakers at the moment
The KEF Reference 2 is a nice little speaker. I owned a pair for a while, and if I could have thought of a proper justification for keeping them, I would have done so. I have never owned a better speaker of its size.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The more I upgrade, the simplier I want to have it and the less speakers remain...currently B&W 802 Diamond with a pair of JL F113 ...as of next Tuesday only B&W 800 Diamond.
Yes, the more I upgrade, the simpler I want to have it and the less I am interested in collecting. One or two pairs of great speakers (for stereo, as opposed to surround) is better than an infinite number of only decent speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, as I've said before, if I could sell all my speakers, I would just keep the KEF monitors + RBH & Funk subs.

There's no way in hell I would get rid of subs and just get towers. I don't care how big the towers are. I think their bass sucks in comparison to subs.

I've posted this elsewhere, so this is redundant, but I've been listening and comparing my speakers.

Revel Salon2 in 2.0 (MSRP $22K)
B&W 802D2 in 2.0 (MSRP $15K)
Linkwitz Orion3 in 2.0 (MSRP $10K)
KEF 201/2 + RBH SX-1010N in 2.2 (MSRP $8.4K)

I unequivocally preferred the 2.2 setup over all the 2.0 tower setup 100% of the time. No contest.

Going back to 2.0 towers was unpleasant. It seemed anemic in comparison to the 2.2 setup.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
There's no way in hell I would get rid of subs and just get towers. I don't care how big the towers are. I think their bass sucks in comparison to subs.

I unequivocally preferred the 2.2 setup over all the 2.0 tower setup 100% of the time. No contest.

Going back to 2.0 towers was unpleasant. It seemed anemic in comparison to the 2.2 setup.
I am aware of this but with proper placement, a decent amplifier and sufficient treatment (room, tuning i.e spikes etc..) a lot can be achieved. While packing my speakers I played the same songs with and without spikes and it definitely impacted the sound; not a day/night difference but most definitely audible.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
All my stuff is already listed in the sig below. I'd only add Behringer MS16 pc speaker I used to use at work, but now gathering dust most of the time
Total 10 speakers.
All budget stuff, but sound really good at least to me :)

Only time I really felt that my main speakers are lacking is then I was auditioning Salk SoundScape's at last year AH GTG, oh well.. One could dream

and For the record, I don't consider a person with more than 20 speakers completely normal :), but who's normal anyways :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am aware of this but with proper placement, a decent amplifier and sufficient treatment (room, tuning i.e spikes etc..) a lot can be achieved. While packing my speakers I played the same songs with and without spikes and it definitely impacted the sound; not a day/night difference but most definitely audible.
There's no right or wrong here. Some guys want more bass and some guys don't. It's just a matter of preference.

So when I go to a live concert, I always think, "Damn, where's the bass?":eek: :D

champster

champster

Audiophyte
1 pair B&W CM5
1 sub boston (borrowed from a friend)
1 pair B&W MM1
1 pair Yamaha HS80M for keyboard (collecting dust)

I'm moving to a new house beginning next year and already ordered Meridian DSP7200, DSP7200HC, 4x DSP540, 2xDSW for my home theater... muwahahahaha

U

UnxpectedError

Enthusiast
B&W 803 D2 (2)
B&W HTM2 (1)
B&W CM9 (2)
B&W CM5 (2)
Rythmik FV15HP (1)
B&W Zeppelin Air (1)
Paradigm Atom Monitors (2)
Paradigm Sudio 60 V3 (2)
Paradigm Monitor 7 (2)
Some Velodyne 12" (1)
Some Velodyne 10" (1)
Logitech 5500 Computer Speakers (5.1)

Thats 19.4 I believe lol.....And I thought I had a lot of speakers

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
There's no right or wrong here. Some guys want more bass and some guys don't. It's just a matter of preference.

So when I go to a live concert, I always think, "Damn, where's the bass?":eek: :D
Doesn't that pretty much settle the issue? Maybe you need to go back and check the definition of Hi Fidelity? I know you have a smiley by that statement, but I just can't agree with your position that there is no "right or wrong." Yes there is--as a speaker designer I have to have some reference point for choosing a particular response profile, and that reference is real music in a real environment. If you want elevated bass, then the best way to achieve that is to buy truly accurate speakers and then equalize up the bass on those occasions when you want a departure from accuracy.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis