How many speakers can I connect to my amp?

P

PerryG

Audiophyte
I am currently using the Zone 2 output of my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver to provide music throughout my home. The output from the receiver goes into to an AudioSource AMP100 amp, which has two speaker outputs. Output A goes into a speaker selector which feeds 5 pairs of in-ceiling speakers (Polk Audio RC60i) controlled by individual impedance matching volume controls (Xantech VCD100).

The sound quality in this setup is pretty decent and the volume is more than sufficient for our purposes. Things have worked out so well that I would like to add more speakers. I want to add two pairs of speakers to the existing speaker selector, again each having its own impedance matching volume control. In addition, I want to connect a 4 pair speaker selector (with impedance matching and volume control) to Output B on the amp for another 2 pairs of speakers in my basement.

This would give me 9 pairs of speakers (7 on Output A of the amp and 2 on Output B) and they would all have impedance matching volume controls between the speakers and the amp. I am wondering if all of this sounds reasonable, or will I start running into issues at some point?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently using the Zone 2 output of my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver to provide music throughout my home. The output from the receiver goes into to an AudioSource AMP100 amp, which has two speaker outputs. Output A goes into a speaker selector which feeds 5 pairs of in-ceiling speakers (Polk Audio RC60i) controlled by individual impedance matching volume controls (Xantech VCD100).

The sound quality in this setup is pretty decent and the volume is more than sufficient for our purposes. Things have worked out so well that I would like to add more speakers. I want to add two pairs of speakers to the existing speaker selector, again each having its own impedance matching volume control. In addition, I want to connect a 4 pair speaker selector (with impedance matching and volume control) to Output B on the amp for another 2 pairs of speakers in my basement.

This would give me 9 pairs of speakers (7 on Output A of the amp and 2 on Output B) and they would all have impedance matching volume controls between the speakers and the amp. I am wondering if all of this sounds reasonable, or will I start running into issues at some point?
You can't run A & B speakers together as they use the same amps. This would put both sets of speakers in parallel and damage your unit.

For the number of speakers you want to use you need a whole house distribution unit, like for instance what is available from Russound.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
They actually say you can run A and B at the same time with this little amp.
I have read that in a few different places but never have tried it, even though I have one for my 3rd zone.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/audio-source-amp-100-amplifier-7-2004.html

All that being said, it is a 50 watt amp and the OP is likely maxing it out no matter how you look at it.

I agree, it's time to look at a whole house distribution unit.

***Hey wait...TLS hates a whole house distribution unit...:D

You can't run A & B speakers together as they use the same amps. This would put both sets of speakers in parallel and damage your unit.

For the number of speakers you want to use you need a whole house distribution unit, like for instance what is available from Russound.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can probably do this and as long as you are presenting and 8ohm load to the amplifiier, you won't kill it. But, you will be driving it to its max anytime you have a few rooms going.

I would say that it is time for you to upgrade to a 12 or 16 channel amplifier which can independently amplify many rooms at once.

Used, via eBay, these are pretty easy to find for under $700...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Niles-SI-1230-12-Channel-Systems-Integration-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ260576302192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cab8ed470

The concept is that you eliminate the potentially for destroying your single amplifier by individually driving speaker pairs, and you can run 2-speakers per channel pretty easily without impedence matching volume controls if you wanted to.

I really think you would be working towards the death of your amp with what you are suggesting, but it certainly is possible to do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis