How many Divorces are because of an audio bug??

J

jamie2112

Banned
:DI was just wondering what the percentage is???? I was reading a review for a set of speakers and the guy was getting divorced over Wilson Watt speakers, and I thought that was amusing....:eek:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well I will never get divorced because of my Audio/Video bug....

Wanna take a guess why...? :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Very quickly divorced my 2nd ex-wife because of her getting in the way of this great hobby. Things went south and she decided to leave and then later wanted to come back. I said NO WAY NO HOW!!!!!!!! I still thank God every single day that she is out of my life forever. Now back to this hobby....LOL!!!!!! ;);)

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
You just have to ask the questions right

I consult a lot at work and develop proposals. Sometimes, well maybe a lot of the time, it is easy to lie with statistics.

My audio/video hasn't been impeded or hampered by marriage. I just upgrade to new fronts ,center and AVR. LOL and now I also have a new couches, new loveseat, new carpet in the den and new carpet in the dining room!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If something like audio separates your marriage, it could mean 1 of 2 things.

1.) You had a crappy marriage to begin with (wrong spouse).

2.) You REALLY, have a problem.

SheepStar

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt it is very many people who get divorced over audio/video equipment, or if they do, it is only one of many problems, the rest of which being enough to get a divorce.

I would never divorce my wife over audio/video equipment. But, in my case, my wife likes having a good audio/video system, and, except for Blu-Ray, I already have equipment that is good enough that I do not feel a need to upgrade the audio portion of my system ever (except for new formats, of course!), and will not upgrade the video portion until after prices come significantly down and/or my current little 42" HDTV dies. I plan on getting an Oppo Blu-Ray player after Oppo releases one, assuming, of course, that it gets the same kind of glowing reviews that their DVD players have gotten. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with what I have now (including my wife!).

On the other hand, if I were stupid enough to buy into all of the mumbo jumbo BS in audio, I expect my wife would want to divorce me. But then she would be divorcing me for being a fool, not because of audio/video equipment.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
LOL - Audio BS ....

On the other hand, if I were stupid enough to buy into all of the mumbo jumbo BS in audio, I expect my wife would want to divorce me. But then she would be divorcing me for being a fool, not because of audio/video equipment.
Just stay away from Monster and Bose :D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Just stay away from Monster and Bose :D
There is a lot more to avoid than that. To improve the sound, some people have frozen their CDs, put green ink on their edges, exposed them to magnetic fields, etc. Anyone who has even a basic understanding of how CDs work, and who has some reasoning ability, will realize that those things are all ridiculous. However, just do a quick on line search, and you will find advocates for all of those things, and many, many more silly and idiotic ideas about audio. Really, there is an amazing amount of nonsense associated with audio equipment. So much, in fact, that I sometimes wonder if audio equipment attracts people who are mentally ill. It certainly does not seem to repel delusional people.

With Bose, although their equipment is often cheap junk, they actually do something. Buying Bose is less stupid than what some people buy. Compare buying Bose with something like:

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=190

At least Bose speakers do something, even if they don't do it well.

And for crazy priced wire, Monster is a mild example. Just do a search if you are interested in finding wire that is so expensive you could buy a luxury car for the price of enough of it for a typical home theater.

J

jamie2112

Banned
There is a lot more to avoid than that. To improve the sound, some people have frozen their CDs, put green ink on their edges, exposed them to magnetic fields, etc. Anyone who has even a basic understanding of how CDs work, and who has some reasoning ability, will realize that those things are all ridiculous. However, just do a quick on line search, and you will find advocates for all of those things, and many, many more silly and idiotic ideas about audio. Really, there is an amazing amount of nonsense associated with audio equipment. So much, in fact, that I sometimes wonder if audio equipment attracts people who are mentally ill. It certainly does not seem to repel delusional people.

With Bose, although their equipment is often cheap junk, they actually do something. Buying Bose is less stupid than what some people buy. Compare buying Bose with something like:

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=190

At least Bose speakers do something, even if they don't do it well.

And for crazy priced wire, Monster is a mild example. Just do a search if you are interested in finding wire that is so expensive you could buy a luxury car for the price of enough of it for a typical home theater.
I agree fully. What idiot would buy a cd demagnitizer? Some people would buy a bag a S$#@ if it was marketed to the right demographic...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I agree fully. What idiot would buy a cd demagnitizer? Some people would buy a bag a S$#@ if it was marketed to the right demographic...
You are comparing nonsensical things with something quite useful. Bags of "S$#@" are sold. But that is not a waste of money, as it helps one grow various plants.

It is completely and utterly idiotic to buy a CD demagnetizer. One may as well buy magic powder and hire someone to persuade magic pixies to improve the sound. My wife would never marry anyone idiotic enough to buy a CD demagnetizer, and if she somehow found herself married to someone that idiotic, she would probably get a divorce. I suppose, though, now that we have been married so long, if I suffered some severe blow to the head, and then started believing in such foolishness, she might stay with me and take care of me, for the sake of what I was before the accident. But I am sure she would see to it that I did not have a credit card to buy junk like that.

By the way, the 'audiophile' attitude that things like level matching and listening blind are unnecessary is something that leads to things like CD demagnetizers. The mantra, "hearing is believing" is perfect for selling all manner of nonsense. After all, making a real difference isn't needed when one allows the placebo effect full sway.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If something like audio separates your marriage, it could mean 1 of 2 things.

1.) You had a crappy marriage to begin with (wrong spouse).

2.) You REALLY, have a problem.

SheepStar
Sheep, you are correct in that there were other issues that led to the end of my 2nd marriage. However, she always had a "need" for shoes or chlothes. Then, there was the constant gouging of her "need" for jewelry. Whenever, I wanted to buy some audio gear she claimed that it was a "want" and as such gave me the ole "we don't have the money for that" routine. Funny thing was though, it was MY money that she always found the time to spend. Anyways, I think you get an idea of just how bad my marriage was. When she left, I was like "Thank God Himself" for such a blessing. :):)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep, you are correct in that there were other issues that led to the end of my 2nd marriage. However, she always had a "need" for shoes or chlothes. Then, there was the constant gouging of her "need" for jewelry. Whenever, I wanted to buy some audio gear she claimed that it was a "want" and as such gave me the ole "we don't have the money for that" routine. Funny thing was though, it was MY money that she always found the time to spend. Anyways, I think you get an idea of just how bad my marriage was. When she left, I was like "Thank God Himself" for such a blessing. :):)
That would fall under option 1.

SheepStar

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Marriage is a compromise like any other. The key is to not upset the balance, plain and simple.

For example - yesterday, wifey got a new car. No, she didn't exactly need one, but next month when I go shopping for a new Panny 50", there isn't a thing she'll be able to say to me. :)

Any pyrrho, you should really develop a sense of humor. ;) The bag of s&%t comment was funny.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Any pyrrho, you should really develop a sense of humor. ;) The bag of s&%t comment was funny.

I have a sense of humor, but it seems you do not appreciate it. However, judging from the "Thanks" for my post, jamie2112, who made that comment, does.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You'll never get married.
Ding Ding...... We have a winner...

My father always told me..... "Why make 1 woman miserable, when you can make 10 very happy..."

Honestly though, at this stage of my life, I'm 40 btw, I have already raised my son on my own for the last 15 years, I cook, clean, work 70 hours + a week....

But I would have to say, that a hobby should never make for a reason for a marriage to end....

Most marriages don't last for other reasons, and the percentage seems to be growing to how many really don't...

J

jamie2112

Banned
Yeah I agree your father is the smartest guy I've never met:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I'm kinda partial to that man....

Being 40 and never married, you have to expect that women will always question, whats wrong with him if he hasn't been married yet....

Nothing, I'm just not that moron that thinks I need to be "fixed" by marriage, much less the divorce that would come shortly after....

I appreciate the institution of marriage, but IMO there are only a select group of girls that I would consider getting married to. In this day and age, with the way girls behave, that institution IMO is long gone.... the days of until death do us part - do not exist anymore... so what is the point of being bound legally, financially...

Don't get me wrong, I love women... maybe thats my biggest problem... :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis