How long til we get HD-DVD & BluRay in one machine?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm probably going to buy an HD PJ in a couple weeks, so of course I'm drooling over the BluRay & HD-DVD discs. Right now there's about 450 discs available between the two, with some duplication of course. Has anyone else been aggrevated by the fact that each format has an exclusive on a few of your favorites? For example, all I've read indicates that right now HD-DVD looks much better than BD, but you can only get Flyboys on BD.:mad:

I know the real universals are supposed to be coming, but I'm getting impatient. I have no more desire to buy one machine for BD and one for HD-DVD than I did to buy 2 machines for SACD & DVD-A.

If there's no decent univeral within a month, I think I'll buy an HD-DVD player and let the chips fall where they may. The first thing I'll probably buy: Casablanca!:D

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
LG's BH100 was delivered in limited supply to dealers like BB and CC but I have noticed that they are selling out as fast as they can get them. Delivery of these units moved the prices of the single format players down almost immediately.

Haven't seen any reviews so no idea on performance, etc. Not sure of the HDMI version either. According to their website it does support Dolby True HD and DTS-HD.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rob Babcock said:
I'm probably going to buy an HD PJ in a couple weeks, so of course I'm drooling over the BluRay & HD-DVD discs. Right now there's about 450 discs available between the two, with some duplication of course. Has anyone else been aggrevated by the fact that each format has an exclusive on a few of your favorites? For example, all I've read indicates that right now HD-DVD looks much better than BD, but you can only get Flyboys on BD.:mad:

I know the real universals are supposed to be coming, but I'm getting impatient. I have no more desire to buy one machine for BD and one for HD-DVD than I did to buy 2 machines for SACD & DVD-A.

If there's no decent univeral within a month, I think I'll buy an HD-DVD player and let the chips fall where they may. The first thing I'll probably buy: Casablanca!:D
You haven't been reading some of the posts on this issue here:D
I am aggravated to no end. The one player that is out now doesn't have HD logo but plays the disc non-the-less. But, none on the market so far plays 1080p/24 frames so the pj could do an even multiplier and avoid some of the 3:2 issues.
A friend brought over an Xbox with the HD add on. While it was only 1080i, it looked awesome. The lowdef DVD:( needs to go:D
So, must wait for price and component availability:(

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Rob,

Here's some lowdown on the LG player: videobusiness.com/article/CA6410539

Interestingly according to this article, the player isn't verified by DVD FLLC (the hd-dvd) sanctioning group, also there are issues with interactivity functions as well as internet accessability protocols. According to the DVD FLLC group the unit was never submitted for approval, hence no HD-DVD logo.

It will play both formats though.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The LG doesn't look like a "great" machine, but rather the first of what I hope will be a wave of True Universals. As I've said before, we won't be able to really stick a fork in this Format War until you can buy a Universal from Denon, Onk, Pioneer, Yamana, JVC, etc.

BTW, I think that the success of one of the high def disc formats is a foregone conclusion. Whether it's soon or if it's later, eventually the old school standard NTSC signal is going to go dark and HDTV will be all that's left. Once 80+% of the households with a TV have HD, how long will people accept the archaic 480P DVDs? That would be like ditching your CD/DVD drive in your PC and adding a cassette tape drive.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
The LG doesn't look like a "great" machine, but rather the first of what I hope will be a wave of True Universals. As I've said before, we won't be able to really stick a fork in this Format War until you can buy a Universal from Denon, Onk, Pioneer, Yamana, JVC, etc.
Until the day of the true universal, I wonder if it would be possible for some brash upstart to figure out a way to make a PS3 run an external HD-DVD drive the way an X-Box 360 can run one now. Anyone ready to step up and represent?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis