How Long Does A DLP Last?

B

bd997

Junior Audioholic
I'm about to pull the trigger on a SAMSUNG HL67A750 (LED Rear Projection) found one for $1550 plus $450 for a 5 yr CPA warranty. And was wondering how long these TV's last? Its going to be used 50% movies and 50% gaming....

Thanks

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm about to pull the trigger on a SAMSUNG HL67A750 (LED Rear Projection) found one for $1550 plus $450 for a 5 yr CPA warranty. And was wondering how long these TV's last? Its going to be used 50% movies and 50% gaming....

Thanks
It's impossible to know. But 5 years is probably the 90th percentile at least. Maybe the 97th one. depending on how they calculate there warranties

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I have had an LG RP DLP (720P) in my family room for 7 years. I replaced the lamp two years ago (about $300 and I did it myself). If the extended warranty includes the lamp, it might be worth it. if not, don't waste the $$$.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have had an LG RP DLP (720P) in my family room for 7 years. I replaced the lamp two years ago (about $300 and I did it myself). If the extended warranty includes the lamp, it might be worth it. if not, don't waste the $$$.
depends on whether he has the discipline to save his own insurance.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
In theory, a DLP will last indefinitely. It's the bulb that needs to be replaced every few years or thousand hours of use.

The LED DLP is supposed to last immensely longer. Tens of thousands of hours longer for the light engine life (aka - bulb, but this is an LED, not a traditional bulb/lamp).

-pat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It will last forever, as long as you don't actually watch it.:p

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
The LED type model wil last the life of the set.

Bulbs need to be replaced every few years.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
a guy at work has had his dlp for years, watches it all the time. and has never had a problem or replaced a bulb.

if i had a led, i would not get the extended warranty.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
LED DLP tvs lasts 10+ years, obviously not guranteed

..my uncle has an older samsung DLP, probally 8 years old now..had to change the bulb once...his set works perfectly fine..

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
a guy at work has had his dlp for years, watches it all the time. and has never had a problem or replaced a bulb.

if i had a led, i would not get the extended warranty.
But i bet his pq isnt what it was. Imo the bulb needs replacment after 3-4 years to have the best proformance

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I thought an LED DLP referred to the use of LEDs in place of the color wheel in order to eliminate the rainbow effect. I was unaware of the tvs not having a traditional bulb. I guess things change.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
I’ve owned a Samsung HL-S5687 DLP for about 2 1/2 years and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s on nearly every waking hour I’m home average 8 hours/day as I use it as my primary computer monitor. That’s over 7k hours and still going strong. Plus it was a floor model when I bought it.

The only problem I’ve had was a fruit fly getting inside while watching a movie. It looked like a big monster when if flew near but not touching the screen.

If you haven’t already you might want to check out the AVS thread on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035615

If you search that threat for “problem” you get these results.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=12696880

Every piece of equipment has problems come up but if you check out what’s listed you might be able to determine if there are any glaring issues with that unit before you get one.

Cheers,
Dean

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Though there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary; My experience working for a company that services all kinds of electronics has steered me far away from rear projection sets. They are by far the most repair prone type of TV. I would recommend anyone considering an RPTV invest in an extended warranty. Even the LED based DLP sets from Samsung have had problems with other electronic parts failing.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Though there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary; My experience working for a company that services all kinds of electronics has steered me far away from rear projection sets. They are by far the most repair prone type of TV. I would recommend anyone considering an RPTV invest in an extended warranty. Even the LED based DLP sets from Samsung have had problems with other electronic parts failing.
Absolutely. Do your research. I have had two DLP's and they both failed me right at about 2 years. DLP is for the birds in that regard although they provide a pretty good picture for the dollar! Do not look at all of the reviews on amazon or other sites as these are typically customers that have had the sets for a few weeks or a few months and of course they love them. They just spent $1-2,000 on the set. No one is going to hate it. Research using the brand or model specific threads at AVS and look a couple of years into the thread to find out what really goes on. The threads always start out with, "WOW, where do I get one of those!" and they have a tendency to finish with "Where do I get this fixed? Is anyone else having this problem too?" LOL:rolleyes: At any rate, nothing is trouble free and I would suggest an extended warranty, but read the fine print! While some things are not covered, many of the repairs can easily reach $500 to $1,000. Good Luck.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Absolutely. Do your research. I have had two DLP's and they both failed me right at about 2 years. DLP is for the birds in that regard although they provide a pretty good picture for the dollar! Do not look at all of the reviews on amazon or other sites as these are typically customers that have had the sets for a few weeks or a few months and of course they love them. They just spent $1-2,000 on the set. No one is going to hate it. Research using the brand or model specific threads at AVS and look a couple of years into the thread to find out what really goes on. The threads always start out with, "WOW, where do I get one of those!" and they have a tendency to finish with "Where do I get this fixed? Is anyone else having this problem too?" LOL:rolleyes: At any rate, nothing is trouble free and I would suggest an extended warranty, but read the fine print! While some things are not covered, many of the repairs can easily reach $500 to $1,000. Good Luck.

Well it's essentially a PJ. Which is a good investment for a technically inclined person, but not for a novice. I have no problems opening and fixing my PJ, but others would be scared. Still most problems creep up in the beginning of a PJ lifecycle or toward the end of it. PJs don't last as long as traditional tvs, but it remains to be seen how Plasmas and LCDs compare.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis