REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
1. 0>2k hrs still running

2. 0>2k hrs replaced it already

3. 2>4k hrs still running

4. 2>4k hrs replaced it

5. 4K plus and still running

Please post with model of PJ and actual time of bulb life and aproximite cost for comparison .

Thanks.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Panasonic AE700u with 694 hours on the first lamp and still going.

I originally had the projector turned down (-4) but as age has advanced, it is now at the 0 setting for brightness. Color and tint also had to be recalibrated up.

Thanks for the poll. I have tried to garner this information through the forum but was unsuccessful.

Paulvader

Paulvader

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure how long exactly...watched Rush in Rio, Iron Maiden in Rio, Pink Floyd Live in Pompei, Cream at Royal Albert Hall; all lottttttttttttttttttttts and Battlestar Gallactica (new series), and still excellent after 11 months!!! :D

majorloser

majorloser

My first projector was a Yamaha DPX-1. First bulb changed at 1100 hours, second bulb blew at about 500 hours, third bulb was still running at about 400 hours when the projector blew.

My second projector is an Optoma H78-DC3. I'm on the first bulb with about 500 hours and I'm noticing a distinct loss of lumens. Even in "bright mode" it still seems a little shy of perfect calibration. I'll be happy if it lasts to 1,000 hours before I change it. :(

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
First lamp about 1,600 hours - manufacturer claimed 5,000... needless to say I was more than disappointed.

Current lamp is more in the 1,800 range now and still looking good - so hopefully this will last a bit more.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
First lamp about 1,600 hours - manufacturer claimed 5,000... needless to say I was more than disappointed.

Current lamp is more in the 1,800 range now and still looking good - so hopefully this will last a bit more.
What projector do you have?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:

Any recourse from the maker? This is not good :mad: I am looking at a projector and don't like these results.:(

majorloser

majorloser

Oh, one more thing.

Just because they don't completely burn out doesn't mean they are still good. After about 500 or so hours the interior of the bulb will start to coat with carbon. This causes the bulb to get dimmer. In turn you will recalibrate and turn up the brightness, thus create more carbon at a faster rate.

A never ending cycle :mad:

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
BenQ PB6100 PJ with just under 1500 hrs and still looks as good as when I bought it just under 2 years ago. Just use it for a few movies a week, a bit of HD and the 'puter now and then - prolly about 12 hrs a week or so. Got a 32" Mitsu for regular viewing it helps save my lamp for the good stuff...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
westcott said:
What projector do you have?
Panasonic PT-L300U - a couple years old now.

No, no recourse from Panny on this. Their bulbs are warranted for 90 days so I was well beyond that. Something like 9 months of usage. But, it is running well now and I have a 'spare' lamp on hand.

I think that a good rule is to plan on a new lamp every year if you watch it a good deal. Just plan on it. Then, if you get more - GREAT! If not, then take the average and hope it's a year.

I will continue to buy new projectors and I really have been happy with the quality overall. Just that first lamp. I think LAMPS are the voodoo of projection technology. They don't know why they work or how to make them last longer with the current format.

When LED lamps finally come to market it will revolutionize projection technologies. 20,000 hours on a SINGLE lamp! Think about what that means in the long run. Even if the lamp is 500 bucks it is a steal compared to current standards.

W

WHALER

Audioholic Intern
I do not work, love my home and rarely go out. My TV is on from 6am until 10pm 24x7 and I have had it for 82 days = 1,312 hours. Not one problem and this thread has made me aware that I should always have a new bulb or two for an emergency such as in the middle of the Super Bowl (when my friends and I have an expensive pool going). The reasons I bought DLP was no burn in by having the stock market ticker on all day, and a like new TV by just replacing the bulb.

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
BenQ PB6100 PJ with just under 1500 hrs and still looks as good as when I bought it just under 2 years ago. Just use it for a few movies a week, a bit of HD and the 'puter now and then - prolly about 12 hrs a week or so. Got a 32" Mitsu for regular viewing it helps save my lamp for the good stuff...

It will be nice a few years from now when the RPTV that are debuting with LED light source ( typically 20K hr life ) come out with bright enough models for front throw projectors ...man never having to scrooge on HDTV time beacause of bulb replacement cost issues ....priceless

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
Just because they don't completely burn out doesn't mean they are still good. After about 500 or so hours the interior of the bulb will start to coat with carbon. This causes the bulb to get dimmer. In turn you will recalibrate and turn up the brightness, thus create more carbon at a faster rate.
Imagine having a new Sony Ruby ( VPL-W100 ) where the bulb cost at wholesale is $750 and after 500 hours it has a loss of 50% in it's brightness !!!

That means 2 bulbs per year @ $750 that is just wrong ...

I will continue to use much cheaper 720P LCD technology with cheap buld replacement $300 retail untill the latest LED light engines ( being used now in RPTV's ) comes down the pike for front throw PJ's ...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis