How good could a $79 audio interface be? Apparently darn good.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Amir at AudioScienceReview benched the 2 in / 4 out Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD and it looks to be able to best a boutique DAC more than 4 times its cost. I had to push in a few posts to get this in for testing and I think we are both glad he did.

For $79 shipped you are getting a lot for a little:

His baseline DAC is a well respected iFi DAC2. Keep in mind these are the Single Ended RCA outputs. The balanced outs (TRS) have yet to be measured but should handily beat out the iFi if there are no surprises.

There is a potential that all outputs would stay live and that means you could drive both mains and stereo subs with this unit.

And it has an HP amp

And it has analog inputs for ADC duties.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Obviously, I doubt that you are surprised by this. Any idea what IC they are using?

My biggest hangup with Behringer is that they have pretty much out-right copied their competitors many times over the years. Makes me curious if there is some other name brand that is pretty much identical to this unit?

But, if you overlook that, Behringer offers a lot of bang for the buck!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Obviously, I doubt that you are surprised by this. Any idea what IC they are using?

My biggest hangup with Behringer is that they have pretty much out-right copied their competitors many times over the years. Makes me curious if there is some other name brand that is pretty much identical to this unit?

But, if you overlook that, Behringer offers a lot of bang for the buck!
Based on my own measurements of this unit in Audacity, no I wasn't particularly surprised to see good behavior.

The CS4272-CZZ and it has two of them so looks like Dual Monaural configuration. They didn't cut corners by using one chip in stereo mode.

This is not a schitt unit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not too surprising. Nwavguy measured it's predecessor uc202 and except crappy headphones amp, dac itself is not bad at all

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I use the Behringer Uphoria UM2 for speaker testing sometimes, its a good little unit, especially for $30. It has its limitations, but for simple recording and playback, it is very good for the price.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
And it has an HP amp.
Curious what the output impedance is on the headphone jack. If it isn't nearly zero, I'd shy away from using it, unless the impedance vs frequency is completely flat, a high output impedance will literally change the frequency response of headphones.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis