How does this sound?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not as good of prices as at J&R, but Crutchfield carries those speakers. Free shipping on orders over $249, 30-day return period, free return shipping, and an excellent reputation.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
I went to a local Klipsch authorzied dealer to check out RB-10. The owner, an ex-speaker maker seem very experienced and has all the cool A/V toys in the world, well thats a different story.

He agreed to provide me a package price of $1450 which includes 2 pairs of RB-10, RC-10 and a Velodyne minivee 10. ($650 for speakers and $800 for the sub)

How does this package deal sound to you guys? And what do you think of the minivee 10, it is little cheaper than SVS 12 which everybody recommended in this thread, but could you provide me your opinion about minivee 10?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You might want to send a PM to a member here, Chopin_Guy. He recently bought two of the MiniVee 10s...and then sold them within days to get an SVS 16-46 PC-Plus. He seems very happy with the SVS, and seemed pretty disappointed in the MiniVees.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Funny that this subject has reared its head again, but I will be happy to give you my impressions notsonoob.

First off, I was trying to make an upgrade from a Velodyne SPL-1500r which is the highest model in the SPL line with 15" driver and auto eq. I was looking for a dual sub setup that would provide more uniform response across the listening area. The two Minivee 10's did indeed provide that evenness, but lacked the impact and depth that I had grown used to with the SPL-15. Also they don't have any EQ which helps immensely in your listening space. All in all this is a simple matter of physics that a 10" driver cannot in any way provide the same response and impact as the 15" (its ability to move air).

I moved in the opposite direction back to a single sub with the huge 16-46 PC + and its sound is enormous and digs very deep. This unit outperforms the SPL-1500r but I also have it mated to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system this combination is potent.

Do not get me wrong, the MiniVee 10 does sound good--very tight and clean in its sealed enclosure--but if you are looking for a compact sub I would most certainly choose the SB12 Plus from SVS instead. You gain depth and impact with the 12.3 driver. And don't let the power rating discourage you as the SVS can hang with anything out there. One thing I would do is contact them as they are updating the Plus line with a new 12.4 driver and SVS has said they are expanding the small box sub line in a recent press release.

So give SVS a holler and see what updates or new models they have coming. But you will most certainly be more happy with the SVS given your stated needs and listening habits. This is my two cents worth at least...and I learned the hard way...

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Funny that this subject has reared its head again, but I will be happy to give you my impressions notsonoob.

First off, I was trying to make an upgrade from a Velodyne SPL-1500r which is the highest model in the SPL line with 15" driver and auto eq. I was looking for a dual sub setup that would provide more uniform response across the listening area. The two Minivee 10's did indeed provide that evenness, but lacked the impact and depth that I had grown used to with the SPL-15. Also they don't have any EQ which helps immensely in your listening space. All in all this is a simple matter of physics that a 10" driver cannot in any way provide the same response and impact as the 15" (its ability to move air).

I moved in the opposite direction back to a single sub with the huge 16-46 PC + and its sound is enormous and digs very deep. This unit outperforms the SPL-1500r but I also have it mated to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system this combination is potent.

Do not get me wrong, the MiniVee 10 does sound good--very tight and clean in its sealed enclosure--but if you are looking for a compact sub I would most certainly choose the SB12 Plus from SVS instead. You gain depth and impact with the 12.3 driver. And don't let the power rating discourage you as the SVS can hang with anything out there. One thing I would do is contact them as they are updating the Plus line with a new 12.4 driver and SVS has said they are expanding the small box sub line in a recent press release.

So give SVS a holler and see what updates or new models they have coming. But you will most certainly be more happy with the SVS given your stated needs and listening habits. This is my two cents worth at least...and I learned the hard way...
Thanks for the detailed and informed write up. But do you think your judgement about minivee 10 was made because you downgraded from 15"? Have you got a chance to compare minivee 10 head to head with SPL 12 plus?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for the detailed and informed write up. But do you think your judgement about minivee 10 was made because you downgraded from 15"? Have you got a chance to compare minivee 10 head to head with SPL 12 plus?
apples and oranges to compare :rolleyes: The minivee is more of a lifestyle/WAF unit, if you want extension and spl go with the svs, if you want the same with velo go with a dd series sub.

compare some subs here...http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=14971&start=0&rid=0&SQ=0

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
On everybody's recommendation here, i am going for RB-10 set up instead of synergy series. But i am concerned about narrow frequency response of RB-10 (90hz to 20khz) & RC-10 (88hz to 20khz), i know those frequencies will be picked up by subwoofer for which i have to set crossover at 90 hz or 100hz. But i heard setting crossover over 80hz is not advisable. Any comments on this?

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Notsonoob, naturally at some level my judgement was in some part influenced from the fact I went from a the SPL-1500r to dual MiniVee10's...I had grown used to the depth and impact that the SPL-15r had for me. Naturally there are lots of factors that go into the sound quality in your room but the two Minivee10's simply did not compare.

Given what you told me about primarily wanting to use the subwoofer for movies largely and less music listening I would have to recomend the SVS SB12-plus to you still even though I have not heard it myself. Remember I had TWO MiniVee10s and they did not cut it. In my opinion, one would be very disappointing for movie listening.

With the SVS you get a driver more capable of moving larger amounts of air--with the 12.3 driver and a stated lower level of response in the specs if you compare the two. For just one sub in your room and your listening intentions the SVS is most certainly the sub you will want to purchase.

Also, something that I mentioned previously, is the fat that the MiniVee's don't have auto EQ or any type of sound refinement on the unit. This really hampers you from tuning the sound into your room--you would HAVE to connect to something along the lines of a Velodyne SMS-1 to get the best sound out of the unit in your room--and this is another $500-600. With the SVS SB12-plus you also get the advantage of having PEQ on board as well as phase adjustment all of which the Velodyne lack...

Go with the SVS....you will be very happy...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
On everybody's recommendation here, i am going for RB-10 set up instead of synergy series. But i am concerned about narrow frequency response of RB-10 (90hz to 20khz) & RC-10 (88hz to 20khz), i know those frequencies will be picked up by subwoofer for which i have to set crossover at 90 hz or 100hz. But i heard setting crossover over 80hz is not advisable. Any comments on this?
Bump

Where should Notsonoob set his receiver to crossover to the sub?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-10.aspx

D

DavidJ

Audioholic Intern
Dude, I'm glad I've checked in on you. You haven't yet made an irretrievable mistake by not buying an SB12-Plus.

What can I say? I hear the voices pushing you..

Go with the SVS....you will be very happy...
I would have to recomend the SVS SB12-plus to you still even though I have not heard it myself.
if you want extension and spl go with the svs
..but you're resisting the TRUTH

LOOK at it, man! IT IS A PIECE OF ART!

Undressed:

And from behind:

All those knobs that do stuff!

These guys like it too:

"... SVS has consistently released fantastic products, and this one is no exception ... if you have a limited budget, and yet very much want to have a subwoofer that will just have you running for an air raid shelter ... put the SB12-Plus on your short list."

John Johnson , Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi
"... a small but very well engineered subwoofer.... the SVS was very impressive."

Ken Pohlmann, Sound and Vision Magazine.
"... the SB12 is one of the toughest and most agile small subs that we have ever tested. The SB12 makes it hard for established competitors..."

Audun Hage, Lyd & Bilde, Norway
"... there’s almost something magical about the SB12-Plus. Simply put, it’s just too cool for words...."

Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Home Theater Shack
I bought mine on the basis of reviews alone, having done a LOT of reading. I also thought about AV123 or Velodyne, but settled on the SB12-Plus because it just seemed to have a real edge in terms of performance, value for money, size (i.e., it's not massive) and sheer engineering quality. Reviewers seemed to ooze positivity about it, with very few caveats. See for yourself on SVS site.

To be honest, it was a little more than I originally wanted to spend. The conclusion I drew from the reading I did was that I'd be getting a LOT of bang-for-buck, and I'd therefore need to spend a lot more - perhaps as much as 50% - to step up to the "next level" of noticeable improvement. However, it's a law of diminishing returns, right? So I stretched, and told myself it would be an investment. I've never regretted it, even when I saw one used on a forum for 2/3's the price (yeah, next time I'm buying used if possible).

Dude, I can't say any more to you. Whatever you buy, I really hope you're happy with it. But if you went with the SB12-Plus, and found a single reason to dislike it, I'd stick pins in my eyes for you.. :eek:

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
You guys really helped me change mind on subs........i thought once i get my speakers, i ll place an order for svs sub as it is the most preferred subwoofer by the online audiophile community...but....but...but...

the dealer who was going to get me my Klipsch rb-10's and rc-10 told me he can get only one pair of rb-10 now and for rest i have to wait till november.....NOVEMBER.......

I called about 10 Klipsch dealers within 50 miles where i live, same response......now i am back to square one.....

Please guide me to some other speakers keeping in mind my requirements which were met completly by Klipsch RB-10......performance, looks, WAF

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Please guide me to some other speakers
Why doesn't anyone want to wait for there speakers? Have you ever heard the expression, "good things come to those who WAIT"? :rolleyes:

By the time you figure out what speakers you want next it will be November.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I am late to the party, but 100Hz will be just fine so long as you have a capable subwoofer.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Why doesn't anyone want to wait for there speakers? Have you ever heard the expression, "good things come to those who WAIT"? :rolleyes:

By the time you figure out what speakers you want next it will be November.
Wait for 2 months??? What am i gonna do with Yamaha V663 and Oppo dvd player which should arrive any day now??

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Set the receiver to use just the three front speakers and the sub. You'll love the sound and when the rears come in you'll have a whole new sense of surround. I've gone to just watching movies in stereo with my towers and looking at my little JBLs that hang around my room, I love the sound.

T

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis