How does this sound?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Any Klipsch loyal for the rescue??????
Check these out
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/xl-23.aspx

They resemble the new WF-35 series which I really like. The floorstander in the XF series is actually powered which is a plus and have good WAF as they are slim towers. If you can't upgrade to these IMO the SVS SBS-01 is a better value than the Quintets. But whatever you do go for the SVS sub and maybe upgrade to PB12-NSD if you go for the full SVS package.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In your first post, you said that you heard a lot of demos and narrowed your choices down to the Klipsch. That led me to think that you liked them. As has been mentioned, that's all that matters (well, that and if your wife likes them :)). Some people really like Klipsch. Some people really don't like them. We can give you suggestions about speakers that we think are good performers for the price, as well as throw out some brands and models that you might not have heard of. However, we can't tell you what you are going to like. One big recommendation is to audition as many speakers as you practically can (or, just however many you want to before you get tired of it). It sounds like you have done some of that already. You could always try out the SVS, Hsu, and/or Orb speakers if you want. You could also bring the Klipsch home and try them out for 30 days (assuming that Best Buy hasn't changed its return policy) - if you don't like them, return them. If you do like them - the search is over!

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
Get the orb speakers and opt for a different sub, like the Hsu or SVS.

But if you are truly happy with the Klipsch and they meet all your needs then go for it. Its going to be an improvement over the HITB by far.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
Completely agree with adam, we are just throwing you options to look at. In the end, GO WITH what YOU LIKE. If Klipsch are the ONE for you. They are the ONE.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
I really appreciate the expert advise from all of you guys.........so the verdict is......i am going to buy Klipsch SL with 12" sub from best buy this weekend......and try it at home..........i am also inclined towards ordering SVS and demo them side by side with my kinda music and movies....as i can always return either one within 30 days.....i know best buy will take them back....dont know how much return shipping will cost me sending SVS back....

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I really appreciate the expert advise from all of you guys.........so the verdict is......i am going to buy Klipsch SL with 12" sub from best buy this weekend......and try it at home..........i am also inclined towards ordering SVS and demo them side by side with my kinda music and movies....as i can always return either one within 30 days.....i know best buy will take them back....dont know how much return shipping will cost me sending SVS back....
IMO do not buy the Klipsch sub. If anything order a PB10 from SVS or a PB12 if you can. I have only heard one good Klipsch sub and that is the one from their THX line.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Alright, I'll chime in. I'm a klipsch fan.. just not so much of the quintets and certainly not their synergy subs... The synergy sub is one of the most "boomy" subs i've ever heard... avoid that one like the plague. To be fair, the reference subs are actually pretty good but a little overpriced. The svs or hsu sub will be your best bet here. as far as the other five speakers go, I dont think you'll be disappointed with the quintets.. they are decent for movies but you'll run out of headroom pretty quick...

heres my suggestion...

If the wifey approves..

2 Pair of these guys

One of these...

The bookshelves can be picked up for 250 a pair and the center for 179.

If Best Buy has these lying around you can get them real cheap because they are closing out their reference line.

The reference line will destroy the quintets.. i mean absolutely destroy them. The RB10 is a great little speaker. I really do think you'd be much happier. Stick with the yammy receiver and pick up an SVS and you're still under budget. IF the wifey doesnt approve, at least get a klipsch speaker with a model number beginning in "R"... the RCX line would be a big upgrade from the quintets or synergy series as well.

Like others have said... Klipsch is love/Hate... I happen to love the sound from their bigger floorstanders but have also made some crossover adjustments to tame the highs and add some midrange for a flatter response. If you like the sound, great, but you do owe it to yourself to try some other options if nothing else but for a point of reference. If you're new, then you're likely to be impressed with klipsch based on their "in your face" approach. Those little speakers pack a lot of "wow" if you're not used to listening to anything other than shelf systems or car audio systems, but it might not turn out to be your favorite.

D

DavidJ

Audioholic Intern
It's all in the bass, man

Dude, piece of friendly advice. Get the Klipsch speakers, if you must, but for god's sake, try to get yourself emotionally unhooked from wanting one of their subs too. Why? Because:

1) Everyone who has responded to your thread is dissing the Klipsch subs in favour of an SVS. They're doing this for a reason (sound quality, value for money, and they want you to have a great experience).

2) I have an SVS SB12-Plus. It's amaaaaazing! One of my mates was amazed I'd spent so much - relatively - on one piece of kit. "Bass is just bass", he said, "isn't it?" No mate, it isn't, and the very fact you say that just tells me your sub is a piece of low-end high-street crap - no offense.

There are smaller subs - I think AH reviewed one recently that you may have seen. Keep looking. I even saw a picture recently of one "hidden" beneath a coffee table. Wouldn't be my ideal, but if it's that or nothing, needs must. And you MUST have good bass. So..

Chin up

Powder dry

Klipsch sub bye-bye

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe he missed my review of the Klipsch sub.

Here it is:

CUTE, I took it back after 2 days.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Alright, I'll chime in. I'm a klipsch fan.. just not so much of the quintets and certainly not their synergy subs... The synergy sub is one of the most "boomy" subs i've ever heard... avoid that one like the plague. To be fair, the reference subs are actually pretty good but a little overpriced. The svs or hsu sub will be your best bet here. as far as the other five speakers go, I dont think you'll be disappointed with the quintets.. they are decent for movies but you'll run out of headroom pretty quick...

heres my suggestion...

If the wifey approves..

2 Pair of these guys

One of these...

The bookshelves can be picked up for 250 a pair and the center for 179.

If Best Buy has these lying around you can get them real cheap because they are closing out their reference line.

The reference line will destroy the quintets.. i

Like others have said... Klipsch is love/Hate... .
This is an interesting alternative......speakers are 3" smaller than SVS-SbS01 speakers.....

How does RB-10 compares with SBS01 in terms of performance? I noticed it has narrower frequency response than SBS01 (90hz to 20khz vs 68hz to 20khz),

And where can i pick them up for 250 a pair for front/surround and 179 for center?

MSRP is 269/pair and 219 for center.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
This is an interesting alternative......speakers are 3" smaller than SVS-SbS01 speakers.....

How does RB-10 compares with SBS01 in terms of performance? I noticed it has narrower frequency response than SBS01 (90hz to 20khz vs 68hz to 20khz),

And where can i pick them up for 250 a pair for front/surround and 179 for center?

MSRP is 269/pair and 219 for center.
I would bet things pretty important to me that you get that price if you bought the two pair and the center. I've had buddies get this setup from our local shop and they were more than willing to work on price just to keep him from going to best buy... I really do think you can get them for that. maybe even online as well. The frequency response can be picked up from a good sub...Its more of a sub/sat setup that will require a different xover setting on your receiver than the svs. I've heard both the SVS and the klipsch.. like i said earlier.. i'm a klipsch fan and would probably go with those FOR ME. My initial response was mostly just to get you out of the quintet or synergy line if you decided to go the klipsch route. I cant say it enough.. the quintets and the reference line really dont belong in the same conversation. Thats not to say that klipsch is the end-all route for you to go.. The svs is a GREAT speaker... probably a much better value than the klipsch, IF you prefer the sound. I would spend twice as much on the klipsch to get the same value in a speaker that SVS offers just to get the sound i want. Just dont get a klipsch sub.. :p For the record, i think the WAF will be a little higher with the rb10.. its much smaller...

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Thanks to adwilk for bringing up nice option: RB-10, these are just an inch deeper and half an inch taller than Quintet III satellite, and according to adwilk and Mazer, pack a bigger punch than Quintet III or SL for almost a same price (BB gives 300 off on package including yamaha, klipsch sl or quintet III and klipsch sub).

This has made me seriously thinking about these tiny bookshelves which i thought i never would. I have to see them first though (ofcourse hear em too)

Let me take a liberty of opening up debate on RB-10 (Front/surround, SVS 12 sub, RC-10 (for center)):

1. Can you guys provide me your 2 cents on this set up: performance, value for price, WAF etc.

2. Should i go for 2 pairs of RB-10 front/rear or a pair of RB-10 and a pair of RS-10 for surrounds.

3. Should i consider SVS sub over Klipsch even if i might get package deal with Klipsch and timbre mismatch (dont even know what it means!!)

4. Where can i find this set up? Brick and mortar store would be great for auditioning, reliable online store for better pricing.

Thanks for your input.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
3. Should i consider SVS sub over Klipsch even if i might get package deal with Klipsch and timbre mismatch (dont even know what it means!!)
1) There is "no such thing" as Timbre Matching subwoofers to speakers.
2) You've been to numerous times that Klipsch subwoofers lack performance. That the SVS subwoofer will out perform, the Klipsch with tight, controlled, accurate bass.

In other words the Klipsch subwoofer is a noise maker and nothing more.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to adwilk for bringing up nice option: RB-10, these are just an inch deeper and half an inch taller than Quintet III satellite, and according to adwilk and Mazer, pack a bigger punch than Quintet III or SL for almost a same price (BB gives 300 off on package including yamaha, klipsch sl or quintet III and klipsch sub).

This has made me seriously thinking about these tiny bookshelves which i thought i never would. I have to see them first though (ofcourse hear em too)

Let me take a liberty of opening up debate on RB-10 (Front/surround, SVS 12 sub, RC-10 (for center)):

1. Can you guys provide me your 2 cents on this set up: performance, value for price, WAF etc.

2. Should i go for 2 pairs of RB-10 front/rear or a pair of RB-10 and a pair of RS-10 for surrounds.

4. Where can i find this set up? Brick and mortar store would be great for auditioning, reliable online store for better pricing.

Thanks for your input.

The setup i heard consisted of 4 rb10's... i thought performance was pretty darn good for the price (value). You could get the surrounds but you're just adding to the price... to be really honest, i'm not sure just how much performance difference you're gonna notice from the surround with the two compression drivers... Some depends on your room. I personally would go with the rb10's all the way around simply for WAF. they are smaller.

I think the 4 bookshelves, the center and the svs would keep you grinning for a long time. NOT WORTH IT TO GET THE KLIPSCH SUB. Get the SVS, seriously. This coming from a guy that had the RW12D and the RT12D. The RW12D is a decent sub. The RT12D is an awesome awesome sub... BUT better performance can be had for about a "G" less. Compared to the Ultra Subs that SVS offers, i dont see why somebody would spend the money for the flagship klipsch unless space and cosmetics were the primary concerns. I cant think of one reason whatsoever to put the synergy sub in your home. It will be well worth the money to get twice or three times the sub. As far as you liking the stuff.... If you liked the quintet stuff at all, i cant imagine you not liking the reference stuff. Like i said earlier, they really dont belong in the same conversation.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Help me find a store or online retailer where i can pick this set up:

2 pairs RB-10 (or one pair Rb-10 and one pair RS-10), RC-10 and SVS 12 sub.

for a deal.

the best price i could find is 1095 for a set up including Klipsch RPW-10 sub, but i would prefer SVS as suggested by everyone here.

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
Help me find a store or online retailer where i can pick this set up:

2 pairs RB-10 (or one pair Rb-10 and one pair RS-10), RC-10 and SVS 12 sub.

for a deal.

the best price i could find is 1095 for a set up including Klipsch RPW-10 sub, but i would prefer SVS as suggested by everyone here.
http://www.jr.com/category/audio/speakers/n/4294562921/

RB-10's $199.00 a pair
RC-10 $199.00

For the sub you will have to buy direct from Svsound.com or keep checking Audiogon.com for a used one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis