• On a mixed 2 channel/HT rig

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • My regular HT system sounds fine for music

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • With my Ipod or other digital player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use my PC/Mac to listen to music

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Hey, my clock radio sounds pretty good!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Dan Driscoll

Junior Audioholic
I'm curious about how important music sound quality is to the members here. Most audio enthusists believe that HT systems aren't the best for playing music, while dedicated audio rigs are usually 2 channel and don't have enough bass power for the explosions and other deep, powerful SPLs required for a really good home theater experience. Some people, either out of necessity or preferance, have dual use systems that have some dedicated music components and some dedicated HT components, while sharing some components, such as the power amp. And some people don't listen to music on their HT system at all, preferring an Ipod, or PC audio.

If you want, you can describe your preferances and system in your reply.

D

Dan Driscoll

Junior Audioholic
You can see the details of my system if you click the link in my signature, but basically it is a mixed rig, heavily optimzed for music playback. I don't even have a sub-woofer, although I may add one eventually, if I can find one I really like that I can also afford. Most of them sub's I thought sounded very good for music were also very expensive. I would like to have a separate music system, but the realities of space in a small condo and my budget won't allow it.

Music sound quality is much more important to me than HT audio. While the soundtrack of a film is important, I consider a movies to be much, much more of a visual medium. I can enjoy a movie with poor sound quality, but with music the sound is everything.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
My HT system sounds fine to me for music. I listen to CD's, plus my computer is plugged into the receiver via an optical cable, so I listen to MP3's often as well.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
I like multi-channel SACD and DVD Audio, so I need use the full compliment of speakers to hear part of my music collection. Space prevents me from having a separate audio only system anyhow.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
At home I only listen to music in FLAC form through my Squeezebox3 to my stereo. IMO home theater is lame I much rather read a book and listen to some music. I actually hooked my new tv to my 2ch speakers but now I have diconnected them and just use the built in ones.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My HT is geared towards 2ch critical listening so that is where I do most music listening, but I also have the small 2ch rig in the bedroom so I can just kick back and relax with the tunes too. At work, headphones and MP3 all day.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My theater system is my only decent system so that's where I listen to everything. It sounds fine in stereo with the sub turned on but my receiver simply can't push the old Advent's (4 OHM acoustic suspension...) adequately and they sound anemic without a sub.

When I hook up a Peavy PA amp those speakers don't need a sub of any kind. They can really pump out the bass along with everything else.

I am about to upgrade to a matched speaker system and someday I will put the Advents in a dedicated two channels system with a good amp.

I use my ZenMicro Photo (MP3 player) for most listening. It sounds better than the digital connection from my PC. The 192k WMA files are practically identical to the original CD's.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Separate system

I have a separate 2 channel system upstairs, in the main part of the house, hooked into my in-wall speakers in the greatroom, dining room and bedroom. It has nothing to do with a audiophile thing, it's because my HT is in the basement, I'm not down there most of thew time. I'm upstairs. So I turn on the 2 channel stereo (I actually use an old HT reciever, but only use 2 channels) But there are 2 floor speakers too, and when I really want to listen to something, I sit down between the speakers.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Usually use my PC, but sometimes I use my HT system.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I am always at my computer (unless im watching a movie), so I have Rhapsody and listen over my little Klipsch promedia ultras and it sounds pretty good. When I am having a party or just want to relax and have a beer with some buds, I fire up Rhapsody out on the HTPC and everyone starts adding there favorite stuff to the playlist. Good times... Anyone that listens to a lot of music on there computer should give Rhapsody a try, I can't live without it and have it on my work computer too.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I use my HT setup for my two and 5.1 channel listening as well as movies: I don't have the space or money to run another system. Its possible that in the future I'll add a dedicated CD player, but I'm still on the fence about that: I might consider modding my 2910 instead, and my Spendors are definitely *not* the weak link in my system. :D

Bryan...if you buy for music, the HT sound takes care of itself...

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
im not a big fan of strictly 2 channel or ht rigs,i run my main rig in quad with a blended l & r signal being sent to the center & the bass module is on an outboard xover,all speakers have seperate amplification & gain control so i can tailor the sound,i use it for 90% music & 10% movies but it still gives excellent impact for movies.

i guess you can call my rig a little bit of both.

S

sksfreund

Audiophyte
I am actually trying to decide if I want to combine my audio and HT right now.
I used to be under the impression that audio and HT couldn't be mixed, but if you read my other thread, I had an experience with a Musical Fidelity Cd player that is kind of changing my mind. Basically, this "high end" cd player doesn't sound any different than a 200 dollar Cambridge player, so I have kind of lost faith in the high end scene. I am probably going to get a DVD player to replace both the Musical Fidelity and the Cambridge, that way it will also replace my aging sony DVD player and I will probably gain the ability to play DVD-A and maybe even SACDs. So thats my story. Any good suggestions on which DVD player to go with? Right now I am researching a couple of players, Marantz, Cambridge, and Denon. The only real requirment I have is that it needs to be very solid build quality. Thats the one thing the Musical Fidelity CD player excelled at, the build quality was just phenomenal. It was built like a tank, and I want that in my next player, too.

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
I have a 2 channel music system in a separate room.

In my viewing room I use the RPTV’s built in sound system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis