How do I open Wharfedale Diamond 10.1?

G

Goochtoucher

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I have never tried to open a bookshelf speaker before, but I am certain if I can get inside I cant fix the bass cone problem I am having on one of the speakers.
It refuses to work, regardless of what I do, so I can only assume that a wire has disconnected inside somehow.
The problem is I can't work out how to open them and I don't want to go prying around them in case I ruin their finish, which is beautiful.
Any help with opening them or tricks to try make the bass cone work without opening them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

G

Goochtoucher

Audioholic Intern
Found out how to open it, connections all seem intact to me, no shorts that I can see. Any other things I should check while I'm in there about why the bass cone might not be working?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Found out how to open it, connections all seem intact to me, no shorts that I can see. Any other things I should check while I'm in there about why the bass cone might not be working?
Detach the woofer from the wires leading from the crossover board. With some short wires, attach a 1.5 volt AA battery with the + end of the battery going to the + terminal of the woofer, and the – end of the battery going to the – terminal of the woofer.

When you make the connection you should see the woofer pop forward, and back when you disconnect the battery.

If nothing happens with the battery, the woofer's voice coil is blown.

G

Goochtoucher

Audioholic Intern
It didn't pop out, coil is gone then. Anybody know where I can get a replacement in the UK?

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
You might have wired the speaker incorrectly. The speakers allow for bi wiring, so you might have accidentally only wired the high frequency unit. That's my best guess.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis