how do i hook two receivers together?

J

jredrice88

Audiophyte
how do i hook three receivers together?

ive got a yamaha HTR-5730 and im wanting to hook it to a JVC RX-5032 and then hook that up to another JVC RX-5032 so that all three work through each other.. is this possible?
Since my yamaha only has 500 watts i need more wattage to push the rest of my speakers.. so im going out to buy two more receivers ( only if its possible to hook 2 receivers up to the yamaha) ive got two subs that push 400 watts apiece , a 12'' sub that pushes 600 watts , two tower speakers that are 150 apiece , two block speakers that push 250 apiece and two mtx dj speakers taht push 350 peak power apiece. so pretty much im just wondering if its possible to hook 3 receivers to each other.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't

No offense guy, but going and buying two more receivers is just about as smart as putting a screen door in a submarine.

You can't hook up the output of one receiver to the input of another and gain more power. Yoiu might get a pretty light show for a few minutes but your neighbors and your friendly neighborhood fire department might not like you.

If power is what you want, then get ONE moderately priced receiver with preamp outputs. Then, get the biggest, baddest POWER AMP you can find.

Then simply hook the preamp outs from your receiver to the inputs of the power amp.

J

jredrice88

Audiophyte
where can i get a power amp online? and what are preamp outputs

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
The Yamaha 5730 does not have line-level outputs that you could send to another receiver. I think the 5760 was the least expensive model in that line that does. If you do need more juice, you will need a different model of receiver and possibly a separate amp.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
What you're looking to do requires a reviever with pre-outs to allow one reciever to feed signals to another to allow that (or those units) to power a set of speakers by itself. Not familiar with the JVC units you have but the 5730 does not have them. I'm assuming the subs you have are powered, so the output of the reciever has no bearing on their output.
Best Advise don't mess with it. If you or your speakers are that power hungry you need to step up to separates or a reciever with preouts combinered with a power amp.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
NomoSony said:
Wow, I need to improve my keyboarding WPM. :eek:
Nomo, the only thing that matters here is WPC (and, occasionally, WAF) :eek:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Leprkon said:
Nomo, the only thing that matters here is WPC (and, occasionally, WAF) :eek:
Yeah, go figure. I thought I'd get by on looks alone.
On both fronts. :p

C

cmusic

Junior Audioholic
jredrice88 said:
Since my yamaha only has 500 watts i need more wattage to push the rest of my speakers.. so im going out to buy two more receivers ( only if its possible to hook 2 receivers up to the yamaha)
First of all, is your system loud enough for you now? If so then you don’t need more power. I assume your Yamaha is 100x5. That’s enough for most people, unless you have a very large room, very inefficient speakers, or play the system at rock concert volume levels.

ive got two subs that push 400 watts apiece , a 12'' sub that pushes 600 watts , two tower speakers that are 150 apiece , two block speakers that push 250 apiece and two mtx dj speakers taht push 350 peak power apiece. so pretty much im just wondering if its possible to hook 3 receivers to each other.
I think the speaker power ratings are confusing you. The power ratings are the general maximum wattage the speaker can handle without damage. It is not how much wattage the speaker needs to operate. 99.9% of speakers only need a few watts (1-15 watts) to get loud enough for most people.

Another thing I noticed, speakers don’t “push” watts. They don’t create any electrical power on their own, that’s the amplifier’s job. All speakers do is to take an amplified electrical signal from the amp and turn it into sound. Speakers will perform that job if the electrical signal is 1 watt or 1000 watts. The only difference is the more watts, the louder the sound will be.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Quantity vs. Quality

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but in general unless you want 3 different sound systems, you can't add power that way. Also, you need to look at the true power of your speakers. There are continuous and max power rating. Typically the max power rating is 2 to 3 times what the continuous power rating is. Also, keep in mind that watts are not necessarily a good measure for receiver power. Look at whether the receiver has high current output more than watts, you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are a number of good receivers and amplifiers that you can use if you still feel you need more power. Your subs have little or no impact on power requirements because typically, if you have a home-theater setup, the sub is connected to the pre-out subwoofer connection (because the sub has its own built-in amplifier).
I'm assuming that you're using this indoors so, unless you have a banquet hall for a living room, I too can not see why you would even get up to 100Watts much less two or three times more. If you're interested, do some research on some receivers and you will see a number of good recommendations on this set. As someone else also mentioned previously, Outlaw amplifiers also give you good bang for your buck if you are looking at going for seperates. To get you started, take a look at these receivers:
  • Yamaha RX-V 1500/2500
  • Pioneer Elite 56txi
  • Denon 3805
  • Harman Kardon AVR-7300
Rotel and Onkyo are also good to look at for receivers. Good luck and enjoy the music!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis