How do I educate myself?

J

jcriggs

Audioholic Intern
jcriggs, thanks for your advice. I always try to use amplifiers that fall within my speakers' power ratings. For example my mains, center and surround are rated at 250 watts RMS each, so I use a 200 watts/channel Emotiva amp for them. My stereo system's speakers can take 225 watts each, so I use a 150 watts/channel amp to drive them etc. In reality, though, I don't think I ever fed any of my speakers more than 40-50 watts with my listening habits. Also, when I decide to add a system I think ahead and try to purchase a multi-channel processor to allow for future expansion.

Audioholic72, these are some wise suggestions.

1. Back in the 90-s I could hear the difference between a cheap CD player and an expensive one. Today, with such an advancement in technology, I doubt I would be able to tell the two apart. Amps always sounded different to me.

2. I have to work on this one. In general, I want to buy quality gear even if it's a bit more expensive. But thus far I lack experience.

3. I agree, I need to like the sound of gear I buy or it doesn't make sense to keep it. I had one exception not too long ago when I bought SVS Prime Towers. When I first hooked them up I thought the tweeters sounded shrill and overpowered the weak and nasal mids, while the low bass was too powerful compared with upper bass and midrange. I left them playing for extended periods the next few days and these problems went away and everything became much smoother and better balanced. It was not the case of me getting accustomed to the sound because I was not there when the speakers were left playing. I think they just broke in. But this happened within one week.

4. I can't help being intimidated by sales people and feel a bit guilty taking their time. I know it sounds silly but I feel like they can see right through me and can tell I am not a serious customer. Because of this I prefer buying internet-direct.
On ur response to the 4th thing the other guys said. In all reality it's the sales persons job to meet ur expectations and listen to ur wants and make suggestions based on ur prefrances. If a sales person try's to push u into a purchase direction that u are not wanting stand ur ground. When doing face to face purchases u must always remember that even though u feel like u are taking up said sales persons time in all actuality that said sales person is getting paid his normal everyday salary while just standing there helping u. never feel intimidated, that's when sales ppl take advantage to profit their store instead of u the costumer.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Might get yourself a measurement mic like a miniDSP Umik-1 or a Dayton UMM-6, download RoomEQ Wizard (aka REW) and use these better "ears" to determine what's going on in the first place....
This sounds like a really complicated and geeky thing to do. But, I asked a question very similar in nature and that was the recommendation to me about a month ago. Instead of ignoring it, I bought the miniDSP Umik 1 microphone, downloaded REW, and started a room/system measurement project that was fun to do and was very revealing. It was a complicated sounding, but simple thing that taught a lot.

When you are done with the first phase of measurements, you can now speak about your system, its problems, your wants and needs in more objective terms. You can also begin to understand the terminology you may hear in responses from some of the more technical members. The more objective you can be in your observations and questions, the more actual information you can obtain. As opposed to purple prose of "gee this sounds terrific" or "wow, that really blows".

Great advice. Go forth and measure.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
This sounds like a really complicated and geeky thing to do. But, I asked a question very similar in nature and that was the recommendation to me about a month ago. Instead of ignoring it, I bought the miniDSP Umik 1 microphone, downloaded REW, and started a room/system measurement project that was fun to do and was very revealing. It was a complicated sounding, but simple thing that taught a lot.

When you are done with the first phase of measurements, you can now speak about your system, its problems, your wants and needs in more objective terms. You can also begin to understand the terminology you may hear in responses from some of the more technical members. The more objective you can be in your observations and questions, the more actual information you can obtain. As opposed to purple prose of "gee this sounds terrific" or "wow, that really blows".

Great advice. Go forth and measure.
Thanks! Yes, you are correct. I will follow the advice the first chance I get.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis