How do I connect the speaker red and black wire to the receiver?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure why, but honestly, I really think connecting the red and black speaker wire to the receiver is the most difficult part for me ever. This is why I say that. First, I'm not sure which red and black do I have to turn to put the wire in, and then tightened it, but that part won't be so bad if someone tells me where to connect it, and that would be the easier part. Second, here is the part that gets me fraustrated. So, lets start off with a red wire for example. You loosen up the red on the back of the receiver by turning it to the left, and then when I actually put the actual wire part on the red on the receiver, and then turn it to the right, that gold wire for the red part won't stay in place, so I can't go tighter. I'm not really sure if I am explaining this properly? I hope someone does understand my explaining.

Thank you,

I forgot I have the Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Be careful you don't short the wires. Otherwise, bye-bye receiver.

Generally, cutting the lead to about 3/8", twisting the wires tightly, inserting them into the hole in the post of the banana plug, and tightening them works but, IMNSHO, I'd invest in banana plugs.. One pair for each side of the speaker wires, or two black and two red each. That's what I would do. Actually, that's what I DO do.

Consider it cheap insurance.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Thank you, Mark! I can't go and get those banana things tonight, so I might not be able to hook it back up. It was hooked up, and it came off. I also don't want to short anything.

A

Actran

Audioholic
It sounds like you may be clamping down on the insulation rather than the wire. You want to insert the stripped portion of the wire in the terminal such that you have metal to metal contact when you tighten the terminal, but not so far that you clamp down on the insulation.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure, if you have bare wire, that you are putting it in the gap you are creating by unscrewing the binding post on the back of the receiver, and that you are not simply inserting it into the open hole on the back of the receiver.

So the wire should go in like this:

Here's a great photo as well:

Now, it is strongly recommended, that for convenience sake, you purchase some banana plugs which CAN go into the holes right at the back of each binding post connection.

I like these banana plugs. They are inexpensive and use just a small screwdriver to make them work with your wire, but have a great grip on the cable:

Nakamichi plugs 0534B, Nakamichi connectors, banana plug, RCA plug, Nakamichiplug.com , Nakamichi Audio Speaker Banana Plug connector, Nakamichi plug, Nakamichi connector

They use a double screw down clamping system which is near impossible to rip the wire out of. Takes a little while to setup, but highly effective when they are in place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis