How come I am not streaming Dolby TrueHD from my BD movies?

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
ok here is my setup first of all

Sony HT-SS2300 HTIB (MSRP $400) connected to a PS3 w/ HDMI cable. This systems supports up to 7.1 LPCM 1080p via HDMI.

PS3 connected to Samsung LN-T3253H TV via HDMI cable

I put in the DARK KNIGHT to watch in crystal DOLBY TrueHD, but when I presses select, it only says, "Dolby Digital PCM, 640 kbps (aprroximately)."

why am i not streaming dolby truehd? it says dolby truehd on the back of the box.

in my ps3 settings, i have the hdmi connection set to linear pcm like everyone says. and in the sound settings i chose"automatic" hdmi and saved the settings. should i choose "manual" and only choose 5.1 PCM signals or what? because all i want is dolby truehd from my BD movies and all i get is dolby digital.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Sony HT-SS2300 HTIB (MSRP $400) connected to a PS3 w/ HDMI cable. This systems supports up to 7.1 LPCM 1080p via HDMI.

I put in the DARK KNIGHT to watch in crystal DOLBY TrueHD, but when I presses select, it only says, "Dolby Digital PCM, 640 kbps (aprroximately)."

why am i not streaming dolby truehd? it says dolby truehd on the back of the box.

in my ps3 settings, i have the hdmi connection set to linear pcm like everyone says. and in the sound settings i chose"automatic" hdmi and saved the settings. should i choose "manual" and only choose 5.1 PCM signals or what? because all i want is dolby truehd from my BD movies and all i get is dolby digital.
You were warned before, in a previous thread, before you bought that HTIB, that it does not decode Dolby True HD, or DTS HD.

An HDMI connection is digital, and the only one with the bandwidth for these loss less formats. So any unit receiving that signal has to be able to decode the loss less formats.

So the audio you are getting is the best you can get. In any event, with a unit of that quality, you will not hear a difference between Dolby digital and Dolby True HD.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So any unit receiving that signal has to be able to decode the loss less formats.
Mark, that isn't true. There are components that can send out LPCM with the decoded version of the lossless formats. The important thing is this:
This systems supports up to 7.1 LPCM 1080p via HDMI.
I believe that the system can play TrueHD just fine, provided that it is sent LPCM.

Disturbed932, I think that the Dark Knight defaults to Dolby Digital on the soundtrack. You need to set it to Dolby TrueHD. I don't own a blu-ray player, but you might have a button for the audio track, or you may need to set it in the menu for the Dark Knight.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Mark, that isn't true. There are components that can send out LPCM with the decoded version of the lossless formats. The important thing is this:

I believe that the system can play TrueHD just fine, provided that it is sent LPCM.

Disturbed932, I think that the Dark Knight defaults to Dolby Digital on the soundtrack. You need to set it to Dolby TrueHD. I don't own a blu-ray player, but you might have a button for the audio track, or you may need to set it in the menu for the Dark Knight.
Sorry Adam, but that unit only handles 2 channel and Dolby digital 5.1 from a PCM feed via HDMI.

We told the OP that before he bought it, but he bought it anyway.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
The movie does default to dolby digital.Go into the movies setting mode and change to dolby true hd.But if your receiver cant decode it I'm not sure it will work.Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry Adam, but that unit only handles 2 channel and Dolby digital 5.1 from a PCM feed via HDMI.
Okay, I see on the Sony site where it states, "LPCM : 2CH/5.1CH thru HDMI™". Is that where you took that information? I was looking at the manual (which I don't think talks about it at all) and Amazon (who has given bad info in the past). Amazon states, "Optimized for Blu-ray Disc™ w/ 8 Ch LPCM", which made sense to me because this system is intended to compliment a blu-ray player.

In general, though, receivers don't have to be able to decode the lossless formats when they are sent by LPCM. They have to be able to decode them when they are sent by bitstream. Correct? That's my impression from the months of discussion here.

Can Dolby TrueHD be downmixed to 5.1 LPCM on a PS3?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Okay, I see on the Sony site where it states, "LPCM : 2CH/5.1CH thru HDMI™". Is that where you took that information? I was looking at the manual (which I don't think talks about it at all) and Amazon (who has given bad info in the past). Amazon states, "Optimized for Blu-ray Disc™ w/ 8 Ch LPCM", which made sense to me because this system is intended to compliment a blu-ray player.

In general, though, receivers don't have to be able to decode the lossless formats when they are sent by LPCM. They have to be able to decode them when they are sent by bitstream. Correct? That's my impression from the months of discussion here.

Can Dolby TrueHD be downmixed to 5.1 LPCM on a PS3?
That is true, however the receiver has to have discrete decoder outputs for seven channels. I doubt most receivers have that capability, as the rear channels in Dolby 7.1 systems are matrixed and not discrete. If there is a down mix to 5.1, that will be transmitted as Dolby 5.1 with AC 3 lossy compression.

I think unless your receiver says it can output discrete 7.1, from LPCM, you are safe to assume it does not, and you need to be prepared to use the multichannel analog inputs.

Yes, Adam I got my information from Sony's specification. I suspect that spec is true of most receivers receiving LPCM. This is a confusing area, and I bet a lot of spec sheets are silent about this, leading to a lot of disappointment.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3's hardware is incapable of bitstreaming the new audio codecs, so you will always see PCM, unless you set the HDMI output to bitstream, and only use the standard DD and/or dts codecs on your discs. If you set the PS3 to PCM, and select the losless audio, whatever codec it may be, and press select on the ps3 while the movie is playing, you can verify that the PS3 is in fact internally decoding that format by looking at the top of the screen where it displays all the audio/video codecs and bitrates.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Disturbed932, I think that the Dark Knight defaults to Dolby Digital on the soundtrack. You need to set it to Dolby TrueHD. ....
Yes, that is the case:mad: BD menu needs to be manually accessed to get TrueHD:mad:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Do you have this issue with other BD movies? Dark Night soundtrack is defaulted to DD:mad: Needs manual coercion;):D

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I agree with everyone else. The PS3 will only send LPCM it wont bitstream the new codecs. My only question is how do you have 2 out going HDMI cables from your PS3? It only has one output so you would have to run from the PS3 to the receiver and then to the TV.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption, but I was fairly certain that in Dark Knight, the Dolby TrueHD is output at 5.1, not 7.1. In which case, so long as his PS3 is decoding it and outputting it to his system, he should be able to get Dolby TrueHD without compromise. Regardless, as many have suggested before, in the PS3 you have to manually select the audio format in most Blu-ray movies in order to get the high def formats. Most of the time, the movies are set simply to DD, or DTS/etc.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have seen where some discs don't even offer standard dolby digital or dts, since it will automatically output the core dd or dts track if your equipment doesn't support the lossless audio.

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
wow, i am so dumb......i was so excited that i got the system that i forgot to go into the dark knight's settings and MANUALY change to Dolby TrueHD!!! now everything is fine, i press select on my DS3, and Dolby TrueHD shows up streaming on the top of the screen at about 28 megs or something around there. I feel liek such an idiot as I am typing this response. I almost feel this was a useless thread, but thanks for all your input.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

wow, i am so dumb......i was so excited that i got the system that i forgot to go into the dark knight's settings and MANUALY change to Dolby TrueHD!!! now everything is fine, i press select on my DS3, and Dolby TrueHD shows up streaming on the top of the screen at about 28 megs or something around there. I feel liek such an idiot as I am typing this response. I almost feel this was a useless thread, but thanks for all your input.
Don't feel this. It is the DVD mastering folks that screwed up as most movies will default to the highest audio on the DVD. I had this issue the first night myself since all other DVDs played properly before:D Now, there is a note in the case what to do so I don't have to worry remembering the next time:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. Don't feel bad at all. Just remember in the future to check which audio track is being played.

It reminds me of the earlier DVDs that defaulted to Pro-Logic...probably because most people didn't have receivers that could handle Dolby Digital at the time.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

It reminds me of the earlier DVDs that defaulted to Pro-Logic...probably because most people didn't have receivers that could handle Dolby Digital at the time.
Yes. But, today, Dark Night is not the first BD off the mastering table:D

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
Is there really even a difference between Digital and Analog inputs? I've heard from most people that Analog is far superior.. Whats even the point of Dolby Digital?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis