How close is the EMP E5Bi to the RBH SX61, technically?

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
I've often read that these are very similar speakers, and of the course the companies are closely related. The speakers appear nearly identical, and looking at the spec list of each, the differences are small: the RBH has a slightly larger cabinet, is 2db more sensitive, and extends to 55 rather than 60 kilohertz, and has a slightly lower crossover freq. One big difference: the RBH weighs nearly double.

Here's the part I'm really wondering about: both have "aluminized" 5.25" woofers and 1" fabric (or silk depending on the site) liquid cooled dome tweeters. I understand the RBH has a very highly regarded ScanSpeak tweeter. There's no way the EMP uses the exact same drivers (is there??), but how similar and how effective are the alternatives used? Do these speakers really sound that close, considering their family relationship?

Sorry if this has been covered thoroughly already. I did some searching and couldn't come up with a direct answer in previous EMP and RBH threads...in fact I made myself more confused.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've often read that these are very similar speakers, and of the course the companies are closely related. The speakers appear nearly identical, and looking at the spec list of each, the differences are small: the RBH has a slightly larger cabinet, is 2db more sensitive, and extends to 55 rather than 60 kilohertz, and has a slightly lower crossover freq. One big difference: the RBH weighs nearly double.

Here's the part I'm really wondering about: both have "aluminized" 5.25" woofers and 1" fabric (or silk depending on the site) liquid cooled dome tweeters. I understand the RBH has a very highly regarded ScanSpeak tweeter. There's no way the EMP uses the exact same drivers (is there??), but how similar and how effective are the alternatives used? Do these speakers really sound that close, considering their family relationship?
Their woofers are clearly not the same size, nor the same cone materials.

The EMP E5Bi has a 5¼" "aluminized poly-matrix" woofer. I read that to mean, a plastic polymer cone coated with an aluminum layer.

The RBH has a 6½" aluminum cone.

I don't think they are comparable in cost or sound capability. Some of the RBH models show photos with a one piece aluminum woofer without voice coil cover, and some show a woofer with a phase cone in the center, not unlike the appearance of the EMP woofer. I don't think the presence or absence of a phase cone is that important overall.

I've heard some EMPs several years ago, but have never heard any RBH speakers. The EMPs sounded as if they were competently designed. Their bass was not exaggerated and their sound in the crossover range seemed well done. They were a good product in their price range, but I doubt if they compete with the RBH speakers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
there was a one speaker from EMP which was awfully close to RBH, but it was more like a liquidation sale
EMP Tek E41-B Bookshelf Speaker

EMP E5Bi however is not - clearly using completely different woofer and tweeter.

They are both good speakers, but not in the same league. That said IF RBH is "only" 10% better, that last 10% will mandate inappropriately large increase in cost.
The rule of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Sorry if this has been covered thoroughly already. I did some searching and couldn't come up with a direct answer in previous EMP and RBH threads...in fact I made myself more confused.
The only similarities between the 2 speakers is that they ship from the same location. That's it! Completely different drivers, different parts, different cabinets, different construction, etc. Not comparable in performance.

The RBH versions use real aluminum cone woofers. The EMP "aluminized" cone is a marketing term. The cone appears to look like aluminum for cosmetic purposes but it's not. Both use silk dome tweeters but the RBH version is superior, and arguably one of the finest dome tweeters in the world - the Scan Speak 9500. The cost of that tweeter is more than the price of the entire EMP speaker.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I remember people noting the close similarities between the Emp tek E41 and the RBH 41-se, but those are the only models I can remember being compared.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I remember people noting the close similarities between the Emp tek E41 and the RBH 41-se, but those are the only models I can remember being compared.
That is VERY true actually. The EMP E41 uses RBH parts and is a steal of a deal. RBH stopped making that model for RBH and simply rebranded it for EMP.

Correction: The RBH version uses a Vifa tweeter and the EMP version uses a different brand tweeter with similar specs. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
Their woofers are clearly not the same size, nor the same cone materials.

The EMP E5Bi has a 5¼" "aluminized poly-matrix" woofer. I read that to mean, a plastic polymer cone coated with an aluminum layer.

The RBH has a 6½" aluminum cone.
Woops, should have noticed that :eek:

But this does answer my question. I was wondering mostly about the types of materials each used in each speaker. It amazingly difficult to distill specs to a baseline. Various sites call the EMP woofer "metal cone," "aluminized," "aluminum"...probably a lot more. Made me suspicious but just wanted to check.

JCL, that is interesting about the E41 though. A lot less mystery on that specs list.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Woops, should have noticed that :eek:

But this does answer my question. I was wondering mostly about the types of materials each used in each speaker. It amazingly difficult to distill specs to a baseline. Various sites call the EMP woofer "metal cone," "aluminized," "aluminum"...probably a lot more. Made me suspicious but just wanted to check.
I think of the EMP woofer cone as aluminized plastic. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, I can think of good sounding woofers made of paper, plastic, metal, and other natural or man made fibers. It is probably more important that the woofer and tweeter be carefully selected and a crossover designed so that they work well together.

I've always thought of EMP as a company spun-off of RBH. They sell lower priced speakers by ID and do not compete with the various RBH speakers. They may or may not share design team people or philosophies. Gene might know about that.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The only similarities between the 2 speakers is that they ship from the same location. That's it! Completely different drivers, different parts, different cabinets, different construction, etc. Not comparable in performance.

The RBH versions use real aluminum cone woofers. The EMP "aluminized" cone is a marketing term. The cone appears to look like aluminum for cosmetic purposes but it's not. Both use silk dome tweeters but the RBH version is superior, and arguably one of the finest dome tweeters in the world - the Scan Speak 9500. The cost of that tweeter is more than the price of the entire EMP speaker.
So Gene, is the parent company for RBH , EMP ( from the EMP website; "Engineered Music Products (EMP) was founded in 2007 by industry professionals with over thirty years experience in designing, engineering and manufacturing high-performance loudspeakers for companies such as ParaSound, McIntosh, JBL, RBH Sound, Destination Audio and Fosgate. "

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So Gene, is the parent company for RBH , EMP ( from the EMP website; "Engineered Music Products (EMP) was founded in 2007 by industry professionals with over thirty years experience in designing, engineering and manufacturing high-performance loudspeakers for companies such as ParaSound, McIntosh, JBL, RBH Sound, Destination Audio and Fosgate. "

They are confusing with all of the different distribution channels.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> Of course RBH could be considered the parent brand, but they are all DBA's of the West American Corporation which is solely owned by Roger B. Hassing.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->
RBH - Reviews & Brand Information - The West American Corporation Layton, UT - Serial Number: 77741745

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis