How can I make a DIY stand with a swiveling top plate?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Hi,

After "designing" a DIY stand (it's basically just two plywood plates with a 10x10cm leg or a round 12cm diameter leg in-between), I realized that having a swiveling top plate would be a really nice feature, because then the bottom plate would never look "crooked" with the speakers aimed at me.

Anyhow, I was thinking of using a metal thread insert that will connect the top plate to the leg, and basically if I wanted to swivel the plate, I'd just have to unscrew the bolt a little bit. It'd have to be a serious bolt, but even then, I wonder if it'd be enough to hold the plate tight.

By the way, the top plate would be exactly the dimensions of the speaker, in order to to make it "disappear".

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that, please.

Thank you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I think that could work.

I would get a large (1/4" or 3/8" diameter) threaded insert with knife edges for soft wood, that you drive into the leg with a hex drive, looks like this:

In the top plate, use a hex head bolt with a washer. Counter sink the hole deep enough so the hex head bolt doesn't protrude above the platform, and wide enough to hold the washer. With the washer, you should be able to tighten the bolt enough to keep the platform from moving.

https://www.ezlok.com/cds_categories.php?cid=cba-hex-drives&filter=internal_thread:2:3/8-16:1/4-20

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What you need is a ball bearing swivel plate. You want the weight distributed and no moment of forces about a central axis swivel point. The latter is always a bad plan.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
The metal swivel plate is a non elegant solution, I want everything to be made of wood.

Regarding weight distribution, the top plate is to rest on the 12cm diameter leg. Is one center screw still a bad idea?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The metal swivel plate is a non elegant solution, I want everything to be made of wood.

Regarding weight distribution, the top plate is to rest on the 12cm diameter leg. Is one center screw still a bad idea?
Yes, the single point is the non elegant solution from the engineering point of view.

You won't see that swivel plate, as it is very thin and be between two pieces of wood and be hidden from view.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Oh, so you're suggesting covering the swivel plate with wood. Good idea, but I'll never find a swivel plate at exactly the size I need...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A ball bearing swivel plate would make the speaker stand into a Lazy Susan, unless there's a way to lock it in place.

That 7" swivel is made for bar stools, and would support the weight of an adult.

How big are these speakers? And how heavy? Depending on the size of the speaker's footprint and the weight, the top plate of the stand can be smaller, allowing the speaker cabinet to overhang some. That may eliminate the need to swivel the top plate.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I hope you realize that you are trying to literally reinvent the wheel here. :D

You just need an axle that is firm on one end and allows the other end to rotate around it.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
So those swivel thingies are not good, because they swivel freely like a chair?
The speakers are not very big, their base is just 26.5cm (depth) x 23.7cm (width) and they're 7kg each. I could probably do with a smaller top plate, I guess. What size would you recommend?

Isiberian, I'm not sure what that means (I'm not a native English speaker). Can you provide a link to such an axle?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So those swivel thingies are not good, because they swivel freely like a chair?
The speakers are not very big, their base is just 26.5cm (depth) x 23.7cm (width) and they're 7kg each. I could probably do with a smaller top plate, I guess. What size would you recommend?

Isiberian, I'm not sure what that means (I'm not a native English speaker). Can you provide a link to such an axle?
Techinically it's a swivel, but essentially you just need to attach round peg to your base and then make a slightly larger hole in the base.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have swiveled and hinged so many things in my career that am somewhat known for it by now. Although this is aluminum, the principle would (and has) work for wood. For this situation I sandwiched a 6mm thick plastic disk between two pieces of aluminum plate. This contraption holds a large transducer that needs to swivel up out of the way for a special vehicle. If I can scratch build something like this out of aluminum, it should be no problem with wood. I use a through bolt with a smooth section for the friction point, and a nylock nut. A nylock nut is essentially infinitely adjustable with regard to the amount of friction you need on the plastic bearing. Just countersink the head in your plate that the speaker sits on.

The larger round disk in the center is what has the plastic disk for a bearing so that pipe will swivel.

Found a better picture that shows what I am talking about with the black plastic bearing. Should give you some ideas. Of course a washer under both the head of the bolt and the nut as well. Just tighten it until it has the amount of resistance you want.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis