How can I improve my room - Sound Quality

S

sn7

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I do not have a dedicated home theater room and have set-up my living room as shown. Could you please give recommendations how I can improve sound quality with minimal changes/ additions to the room. Maintaining the aesthetics and keeping the wife happy (a.k.a not have a ton of foam boards) is very VERY important. Hence - minimal changes to the look of the room, but still want to be able to improve the clarity in sound.

_MG_8059.jpg

_MG_8060.jpg

_MG_8061.jpg

_MG_8062.jpg

_MG_8063.jpg

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Just by looking at your room images, I'm very confident that you've got a much better room to work with than I do. If the room sounds too lively [echoey], maybe a larger and thicker carpet might do. Otherwise, I'd just leave it as it is and enjoy the sound and view. That room set up looks great.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Improving the sound quality of a room with minimal changes – sorry, but that’s a bit like saying “How can I go swimming without getting wet?”

There appears to be enough irregularity in the room dimensions, as well as furnishings in the room, to adequately diffuse the upper frequencies. But basically, hardwood floors are not good for acoustics, as are hard surfaces in general. And having the rear surrounds mounted forward of the seating, and so low, isn’t doing anything good.

When you say you’re seeking better “clarity,” that give me a clue that perhaps you have bass issues – like, too much of it. If so, it’s likely because of the large front speakers you have. Big speakers in a smallish room can generate excessive levels of bass, even if you have them set for “small” in the receiver’s menu, and that can interfere with the subwoofer’s operation. Actually, there’s no need for large speakers with prodigious bass output and extension if you have a subwoofer. They’re merely duplicating a portion of the subwoofer’s range, so the extra money spent on the larger cabinet and extra bass drivers is money wasted.

And your sub location might be contributing to flabby bass at the expense of extension. Do you have it tuned with a parametric EQ? If not I think you’d be drastically improving performance from your sub by moving it to the left corner and adding a parametric EQ.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Following along the lines of WaynePflughaupt post, you might try setting up and running something like Room EQ Wizard (REW). Changes to speaker position, angle, x-over among other things can yield some big benefits and with REW, you can see the differences which should help to guide you.

Steve

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Speaker placement. Play around with Audyssey turned off and see how good you can get it with out Audyssey. My first thought would be to move the mains out from the wall as much as you can get away with aesthetically. I don't know what i would do about the surrounds... That placement is less than Ideal to say the least but some times you just have to compromise. Maybe on the triangle where the stairs go up and match that location on the other as close as possible.

As far as absorption panels...have you seen these? GIK ArtPanel™. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. You could do some very cool personalized decorating...Just a thought. I would talk to them and see what they say about your room before I'd spend any money.

Running the room correction when you are done tweaking will give the best results.

S

sn7

Audioholic Intern
And having the rear surrounds mounted forward of the seating, and so low, isn’t doing anything good.

And your sub location might be contributing to flabby bass at the expense of extension. Do you have it tuned with a parametric EQ?
Thanks,
I had read that the surround should be a feet or two higher than your ear. Should they be even higher than that?
Also, should I move them further back?

Not even sure what parametric EQ is... will look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Speaker placement. Play around with Audyssey turned off and see how good you can get it with out Audyssey. My first thought would be to move the mains out from the wall as much as you can get away with aesthetically. I don't know what i would do about the surrounds... That placement is less than Ideal to say the least but some times you just have to compromise. Maybe on the triangle where the stairs go up and match that location on the other as close as possible.

As far as absorption panels...have you seen these? GIK ArtPanel™. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. You could do some very cool personalized decorating...Just a thought. I would talk to them and see what they say about your room before I'd spend any money.

Running the room correction when you are done tweaking will give the best results.
Just wanted to be clear...Make sure you manually set up the speakers for size, crossover, distance and level match the volume after you reposition them just do not let room correction EQ anything until you get things where you want them.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,
but still want to be able to improve the clarity in sound.
When you say 'clarity' are you having problems with vocals or dialogue in movies?
Keeping with your 'minimal changes' request. The center channel placement looks too low. If raising it up isn't doable, try moving your center channel out toward you, or angle the front feet up a bit.
As was mentioned earlier; sound absorption panels will help the most.......
or becoming a bachelor. :D

S

sn7

Audioholic Intern
When you say 'clarity' are you having problems with vocals or dialogue in movies?
To be honest - the audio is clear but I feel I may not be realizing what I am missing. I would like crisper dialogues.

My wife did complement on the sound quality of this. SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my kef 3005 set up.

Now I need to figure out how to milk it the most - want to start with a couple of panels/bass traps and REW. Honestly - what I am scared of is REW stuff since I dont know about it at all. Wish I had a local friend who could teach me that.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
To be honest - the audio is clear but I feel I may not be realizing what I am missing. I would like crisper dialogues.

My wife did complement on the sound quality of this. SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my kef 3005 set up.

Now I need to figure out how to milk it the most - want to start with a couple of panels/bass traps and REW. Honestly - what I am scared of is REW stuff since I dont know about it at all. Wish I had a local friend who could teach me that.
You and many others my friend.:)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Honestly - what I am scared of is REW stuff since I dont know about it at all. Wish I had a local friend who could teach me that.
It takes a little reading and some fouling around to get going with REW. There are a number of forum threads on the web to get you started. After you run it a few times, maybe do some simple changes (x-over settings) and see what the difference looks like. In the end it's just another tool in the box, keep track of your settings and let your ears be the final judge.

Steve

N

Norman Varney

Audiophyte
I don't know for sure what "clarity" means to you, but from looking at the pictures, I have a few suggestions:

1. Place a broadband absorber behind the listening position. Check out the links on the right side at avroomservice.com. In particular, look at the metu WallTrap, which are customizable.

2. Address the first order reflections on the ceiling with the same.

3. Make sure the first order reflections on the floor are being covered. Maybe add carpet padding to increase bandwidth absorption.

4. Use thicker drapes if room reverberation and/or reflections are still a problem.

5. Use the built-in DSP lastly, and only if you find it does more good than harm.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis