How can i connect 2 subs to my receiver?

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
I have a pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, I also have a paradigm pdr-12 and a paradigm PS-1000. I am wondering is it possible to hook up those 2 subs to my receiver that only has one Sub out??? Also another quick question what are the speaker terminals used for on the back of the subs? Would it be advantagious to use the terminals? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Yes

I have a pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, I also have a paradigm pdr-12 and a paradigm PS-1000. I am wondering is it possible to hook up those 2 subs to my receiver that only has one Sub out??? Also another quick question what are the speaker terminals used for on the back of the subs? Would it be advantagious to use the terminals? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
The sub-out is a pre-out and you can buy an inexpensive splitter cable and hook up both subs.

Here is one cable source for $1.99 : http://www.amazon.com/Arista-18-002-Y-Adapter-Female/dp/B00009V6QF

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You can use a splitter cable that has one RCA jack on one end and two RCA jacks on the other. That will split the subwoofer signal from the receiver into two, and then you can hook up both of your subs.

The speaker terminals are used if you want to connect a high-level connection from the receiver (or amp) to the sub. Most subs have input speaker terminals and output speaker terminals. You will run the speaker wire for the main speakers (for example) from the receiver to the sub, then run speaker wire from the sub to the main speakers. The subwoofer would use the low frequencies and filter them out from the signal going to the main speakers, and this is done using the cross-over in the sub (typically there is a dial on the back of the sub to set the cross-over frequency).

Adam

EDIT: Midcow2 was faster on the draw, and with a nice link!

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
Would it be benificial to use the terminals on the back of the sub???

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Would it be benificial to use the terminals on the back of the sub???
I'm sure that you're asking about the speaker-level terminals. That depends on your equipment and your connection options. Most of the time, it's better to connect the sub to the receiver using the line-level (RCA jacks) connections.

Which terminals? I would think so.:D
:)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure that you're asking about the speaker-level terminals. That depends on your equipment and your connection options. Most of the time, it's better to connect the sub to the receiver using the line-level (RCA jacks) connections.
:)
I will be running dual subs soon and I have a quck question. I will be splitting the sub pre-out on the receiver with a y-adapter. What is the best connection input on the back of the sub to use. Can I just hook up the cable to LFE on both subs or do I have to use L/R input L input on one sub and R input on the 2nd sub (or do you use L input on both subs, or R input on both subs). What is most preferable? Thanks!

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
dual sub cables

I will be running dual subs soon and I have a quck question. I will be splitting the sub pre-out on the receiver with a y-adapter. What is the best connection input on the back of the sub to use. Can I just hook up the cable to LFE on both subs or do I have to use L/R input L input on one sub and R input on the 2nd sub (or do you use L input on both subs, or R input on both subs). What is most preferable? Thanks!
If you have powers subs (which mosts subs are) instead of passive subs then you would use the splitter cable on the LFE output. The LFE output is a pre-amp level and not a line level output.

As far as the right and left input it doesn't matter, because you are basically getting a single feed from LFE that is bass for left and right combined. You can also buy a cable that connects the LFE to both the R and L input on the sub, but it is (probably) redundant unless you sub has separate processing for left and right signals!

If you want to hook up everything ( again the last two cables are probably redundant but they won't hurt)

from the LFE - male RCA y-cable to Two male RCA connectors

example : http://search.cablestogo.com/?qu=subwoofer+y+cable&c=y1

connect to each of the two male RCA connectors abover female RCA to two male RCA connectors; Connect to the Left and Right input of each sub.
example http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/134139-REG/Comprehensive_SP_5_C_RCA_Female_to_2.html

You are in effect splitting the LFE signal to 4 outputs, but this is still okay because it is low level pre-amp output.

Again I would just use one male RCA splitter cable to two male RCA connectors and make only ONE (1), uno connection to each sub! connecting both right and left from LFE is redundant.
=============

If you have Passive subs (i..e no applification) then you have to connect the subs to speaker or line level output. You CANNOT put those speakers in parallel because it will half the effective ohms on the circuit. And you possibly could have an amp ( though I have never seen one) that could output separate left and right subwoofer feeds. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If you have powers subs (which mosts subs are) instead of passive subs then you would use the splitter cable on the LFE output. The LFE output is a pre-amp level and not a line level output.

As far as the right and left input it doesn't matter, because you are basically getting a singel feed from LFE that is bass for left and right combined. You can also buy a cable that connect the LFE to both the R and L input on the sub, but it is (probably) redudant unless you sub has separate processing for left and right signals!

If you want to hook up everything ( again the last two cables are probably redundant but they won't hurt)

from the LFE - male RCA y-cable to Two male RCA connectors

example : http://search.cablestogo.com/?qu=subwoofer+y+cable&c=y1

connect to each of the two male RCA connectors abover female RCA to tow male RCA connectors; Connect to the Left and Right input of each sub.
example http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/134139-REG/Comprehensive_SP_5_C_RCA_Female_to_2.html

You are in effect splitting the LFE signal to 4 outputs, but this is still okay because it is low level pre-amp output.

Again I would just use one male RCA splitter cable to two male RCA connectors and make only ONE (1), uno connection to each sub! connecting both right and left from LFE is redundant.
=============

If you have Passive subs (i..e no applification) then you have to connect the subs to speaker or line lievel output. You CANNOT put those speakers in parallel because it will half the effective ohms on the circuit. And you posisbly could have an amp ( though I have never seen one) that could output spearate left and right subwoofer feeds. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info, a couple more questions.

1) If my sub does not process Left and Right signals seperately than I can just hook up the 2 subs up with a Male to 2 Female RCA splitter from the subwoofer preout on the receiver. Hook up each subwoofer cable to each female input on the splitter and run each subwoofer cable to the L input on both subs, R input on both subs or R input on one subwoofer and L input on the other subwoofer? Is this correct?

2) Why can't you just run the single cable to the input labelled "subwoofer input" on each sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redd454

Audioholic
hi guy's, not to interupt,yet i have been reading, couldn,t resist, as my proble is long, and driving me nut,s, i shall try to shorten thing's,first art of my equipment, starting with a yamaha rx-v2095, i have a very large rectangular room, i have 6 sub's, like a fool i keep buying, instead of solving problem, wich is, i'm getting no lfe, i have tested each sub alone differant music ect. differant cables all new, as my sub's except one, come to think of it, i'm not sure it ever played, so it's not the sub's,i supposed i a'm confused as to why on my on screen menu on remote, lfe has no + out only 0db to -20 db, as stated in manual, this is an older unit, however is pretty up to date, other than wify ect., i purchaced four monoprice msu-122bl 12" budget sub's, i have those daisy chained, as they come equiped with line out jack's, the manual did not say anything about them, so, i went online to monoprice, they list them as intended to chain other sub's to, this maybe ok, maybe not, just thought save wye's and cable, then i purchased a jbl es250p, better lot's more power, yet, not getting it, i even hooked it up alone, the wall's should be quakin, everytime something like this happen's, it's usually my fault,like tinkering with that extensive menu?, but back when i purchesed it, i had it installed by store tec. yet all those years i don't recal the sub, back then i didn't know what to listen for, unlike you audiofiles, i just bought and said put it in, now i'm just learning how to work it, as it's still like new, not used much,the jbl sub, wont even come of red=stand by to green=signal detected amp on, unless i go to menu and choose, lfe/mains and sub's,then light comes on, stay's on,signal or not,plus it does not have the lfe/sub sound, just a cheap mid bass thump,every reveiw iv'e read on the jbl are great,so it could be me, but i don't know what else to do but ask for help, has anyone had a simular problem? or any suggestion's on testing, thank's, i know this was lengthly but perhap's we ca narrow it down, thank's for any responce one more thing, even though the manufature, of the monoprise suggest's using the line out's on their sub's, how would you guy's do it, use wye's at the source, not chain?, but remember, i did unhook all but the single jbl, direct to reciever, still not much HELP

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL interrupting an almost 10 year old conversation? :) Without paragraphs TL;DNR in any case.

R

redd454

Audioholic
right, well anyway, on the monoprice subs, msub-122bl, have four. they come equiped with lfe line in and lfe line's out, for daisy chaining other sub's according to manufacture, would this hook up be advisable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis