How can i connect 2 subs to my receiver?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by r33v35, Jul 3, 2008.

1. r33v35 Audioholic Intern

r33v35
    I have a pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, I also have a paradigm pdr-12 and a paradigm PS-1000. I am wondering is it possible to hook up those 2 subs to my receiver that only has one Sub out??? Also another quick question what are the speaker terminals used for on the back of the subs? Would it be advantagious to use the terminals? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
  2. Midcow2 Banned

Midcow2
    Yes

The sub-out is a pre-out and you can buy an inexpensive splitter cable and hook up both subs.

Here is one cable source for $1.99 : http://www.amazon.com/Arista-18-002-Y-Adapter-Female/dp/B00009V6QF
  3. Adam Audioholic Jedi

Adam
    You can use a splitter cable that has one RCA jack on one end and two RCA jacks on the other. That will split the subwoofer signal from the receiver into two, and then you can hook up both of your subs.

The speaker terminals are used if you want to connect a high-level connection from the receiver (or amp) to the sub. Most subs have input speaker terminals and output speaker terminals. You will run the speaker wire for the main speakers (for example) from the receiver to the sub, then run speaker wire from the sub to the main speakers. The subwoofer would use the low frequencies and filter them out from the signal going to the main speakers, and this is done using the cross-over in the sub (typically there is a dial on the back of the sub to set the cross-over frequency).

Adam

EDIT: Midcow2 was faster on the draw, and with a nice link!
    Adam,
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mazersteven Audioholic Spartan

mazersteven
  5. r33v35 Audioholic Intern

r33v35
    Would it be benificial to use the terminals on the back of the sub???
  6. Seth=L Audioholic Overlord

Seth=L
    Which terminals? I would think so.:D
  7. Adam Audioholic Jedi

Adam
    I'm sure that you're asking about the speaker-level terminals. That depends on your equipment and your connection options. Most of the time, it's better to connect the sub to the receiver using the line-level (RCA jacks) connections.

:)
    Adam,
  8. MinusTheBear Audioholic Ninja

MinusTheBear
    I will be running dual subs soon and I have a quck question. I will be splitting the sub pre-out on the receiver with a y-adapter. What is the best connection input on the back of the sub to use. Can I just hook up the cable to LFE on both subs or do I have to use L/R input L input on one sub and R input on the 2nd sub (or do you use L input on both subs, or R input on both subs). What is most preferable? Thanks!
  9. Midcow2 Banned

Midcow2
    dual sub cables

If you have powers subs (which mosts subs are) instead of passive subs then you would use the splitter cable on the LFE output. The LFE output is a pre-amp level and not a line level output.

As far as the right and left input it doesn't matter, because you are basically getting a single feed from LFE that is bass for left and right combined. You can also buy a cable that connects the LFE to both the R and L input on the sub, but it is (probably) redundant unless you sub has separate processing for left and right signals!

If you want to hook up everything ( again the last two cables are probably redundant but they won't hurt)

from the LFE - male RCA y-cable to Two male RCA connectors

example : http://search.cablestogo.com/?qu=subwoofer+y+cable&c=y1

connect to each of the two male RCA connectors abover female RCA to two male RCA connectors; Connect to the Left and Right input of each sub.
    example http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/134139-REG/Comprehensive_SP_5_C_RCA_Female_to_2.html

You are in effect splitting the LFE signal to 4 outputs, but this is still okay because it is low level pre-amp output.

Again I would just use one male RCA splitter cable to two male RCA connectors and make only ONE (1), uno connection to each sub! connecting both right and left from LFE is redundant.
    =============

If you have Passive subs (i..e no applification) then you have to connect the subs to speaker or line level output. You CANNOT put those speakers in parallel because it will half the effective ohms on the circuit. And you possibly could have an amp ( though I have never seen one) that could output separate left and right subwoofer feeds. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MinusTheBear Audioholic Ninja

MinusTheBear

Thanks for that info, a couple more questions.

1) If my sub does not process Left and Right signals seperately than I can just hook up the 2 subs up with a Male to 2 Female RCA splitter from the subwoofer preout on the receiver. Hook up each subwoofer cable to each female input on the splitter and run each subwoofer cable to the L input on both subs, R input on both subs or R input on one subwoofer and L input on the other subwoofer? Is this correct?

2) Why can't you just run the single cable to the input labelled "subwoofer input" on each sub.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014