How can i blow up my SUB?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
if it is indeed flapping, then why sell a crappy sub? Just do what it takes to get the new one, even if it means smoking the old one... at least he can have some fun with it.

B

boarder1995

Audioholic Intern
Just be careful if you're intending to hook the sub any other way than intended by the manufacturer. Remember, we're dealing with 120v AC that can kill. If you don't know much about this, just play loud music or test tones through it. Don't pull the driver out and plug it into the wall directly.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I imagine half the people in this forum have losted a significant bandwith of their hearing. Especially those who have Dual SVS PB-13 Ultra's! I wont even mention Mike_C who probably has to wear hearing aids with all the subs he has in one room.

Seriously, i have considered making this a new thread, but wanted to do some research on this topic first.
I doubt that. How can you be an audiophile and have significant hearing loss?

Many have very acute hearing and can't even listen to music at a loud level without experiencing pain.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Too complicated, although fun. :)

Jumper cables, pop your hood, you can figure out the rest.

B

boarder1995

Audioholic Intern
People, keep in mind we're dealing with a younger gentleman that may or may not have experience with high voltage or high current applications - both of which can be deadly. This is in combination with him performing these stunts while parents are away, thus, if something does go wrong, it can be dangerous. Let's try to keep the destruction to standard methods of hooking up the sub...no car batteries (they can explode), no direct to 120V AC with the driver (it can kill) and no compressed gas (lots of stored potential energy).

Two things in my line of work that can kill and I can't see... electricity and pressure. Both of which I've been witness to ending someone elses life. Just my life experience.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
*Edit/removed* I just decided I didn't want to tell someone on the Internet how to make a homemade bomb.

Last edited:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Ok, fine. Does it have a port? Light an M80 and throw it in the port. :D

B

boarder1995

Audioholic Intern
Sorry guys, i just get a little anal about safety when young people (possibly minors) are involved.

I am active on another message board involving cars. A young (under 18) kid was asking how and where to drive his father's M car fast. Many suggested he not do that unless experienced (we all think we're experienced), but some suggested proper shift points, use of an air strip, safety considerations and other decent info. Unfortunately, I think that empowered him to try the high speed run, with 3 others in the car (only one over 18), at their neighborhood's private air strip. Sounds like a safe venue. Unfortunately, he didn't plan the stopping zone out very well and flew off the end of the elevated runway at about 150mph. All killed.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Sorry guys, i just get a little anal about safety when young people (possibly minors) are involved.

I am active on another message board involving cars. A young (under 18) kid was asking how and where to drive his father's M car fast. Many suggested he not do that unless experienced (we all think we're experienced), but some suggested proper shift points, use of an air strip, safety considerations and other decent info. Unfortunately, I think that empowered him to try the high speed run, with 3 others in the car (only one over 18), at their neighborhood's private air strip. Sounds like a safe venue. Unfortunately, he didn't plan the stopping zone out very well and flew off the end of the elevated runway at about 150mph. All killed.
I saw that thread, they flew off the end of the runway into some trees or something along those lines... you cant fix stupid. I also dont know what parent in their right mind gives their under 18 son the keys to something like an M3 or whatever it was... The apple doesnt fall too far from the tree.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
post#2 has your problem solved already.

if you can find lower than 20hz tones, those can fast forward your subwoofer's death.

it's also the "safest" way to do it.

http://www.ronelmm.com/tones/
http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

-0-0-0-0-0

actually, low frequencies are the least dangerous to your hearing, unless they're very very high (as in off the radioshack SPL meter scale)
if you have that subwoofer that can do 20hz at 130db, give me the link, coz i want it :)

Last edited:
B

boarder1995

Audioholic Intern
I saw that thread, they flew off the end of the runway into some trees or something along those lines... you cant fix stupid. I also dont know what parent in their right mind gives their under 18 son the keys to something like an M3 or whatever it was... The apple doesnt fall too far from the tree.
Yep, V10 M5, off the end of the runway over some trees, into others, parts of the car separated. Stupid, yes, bad parenting, likely. But I wonder what might have happened if the youngster was encouraged a bit more to NOT try a high speed run.

How many times have you heard or said, "Hey, watch this!" only to narrowly escape certain injury or death...I've been there.

Oh ya, 130 dB at 20Hz, sign me up too! Wouldn't that rearrange your gut? Or would it just help speed up the digestive process?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You want 130 db @ 20 hz., there are some cars out there that can do that.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
Oh ya, 130 dB at 20Hz, sign me up too! Wouldn't that rearrange your gut? Or would it just help speed up the digestive process?

IIRC, the Mythbusters tried that in the "brown note" episode, they were unable to produce any results.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Invidia

You want 130 db @ 20 hz., there are some cars out there that can do that.
My Invidia exhaust on S2000 come pretty close :D :D especially at redline of 8,000 RPM on my 2.2 liter 2006 model.

Later,

MidCow2

P.S.- Fun to drive in a closed garage or out in an open parking lot with "sophisticated" sound sensitive car alarms.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
... Chamistry Lab :)

*Edit/removed* I just decided I didn't want to tell someone on the Internet how to make a homemade bomb.
H'mmm remonds me of my advance Honors Chemistry course. Design your own lab experiments ... start with Potassium Permaganate :D

B

boarder1995

Audioholic Intern
H'mmm remonds me of my advance Honors Chemistry course. Design your own lab experiments ... start with Potassium Permaganate :D
Ya, in my high school Chem II class we had free reign and keys to the chemical room - including some radioactive items. We never screwed around though. I doubt that's the case anymore.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
If your sub isn't a downfiring design:

Step 1: Plug the port super tight with a t shirt, socks, anything to make it air tight.

Step 2: Tip it over so the cone is against the ground.

Step 3: Now you play the sub 20 hZ test tones for however long it takes to cook the thing

If it needs further enticing put duct tape over the vents in the amp section.

If this doesn't do it, you should keep it, it earned it's right to stay LOL.

If it did cook it:

Step 5: click on SVS website and get yourself a beast!

Good luck! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis