how big is your main HT room?

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I just moved into my new house a few months ago and am trying to decide which room to make my HT.. dedicate the larger main room for the cause, or a smaller, but less desirable (to me) basement room. For others, I'm sure it would be nicer to have the main room clear of electronic clutter :D But I don't think I'd be able to listen to music throughout the house if I stuff the HT down in the basement. Also, my basement is on the side of my house that is adjacent to a neighbor, while the main room is next to no one (I'm on a corner lot).

Dimensions of my main room are 15x16x12, vaulted ceiling.

The lower room is ~13x15x8.

what are your HT room measurements?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
going from a very open 12x18ish attached to other rooms to a 12x16 with high vaulted ceilings in another very open floorplan tomorrow.

Not looking forward to moving, I still have so much packing to do.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I just moved into my new house a few months ago and am trying to decide which room to make my HT.. dedicate the larger main room for the cause, or a smaller, but less desirable (to me) basement room. For others, I'm sure it would be nicer to have the main room clear of electronic clutter :D But I don't think I'd be able to listen to music throughout the house if I stuff the HT down in the basement. Also, my basement is on the side of my house that is adjacent to a neighbor, while the main room is next to no one (I'm on a corner lot).

Dimensions of my main room are 15x16x12, vaulted ceiling.

The lower room is ~13x15x8.

what are your HT room measurements?
The main room. Are there openings to other parts of the house? Pictures.

The smaller room. Is it a closed room?

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
The main room. Are there openings to other parts of the house? Pictures.

The smaller room. Is it a closed room?
Here's the main room. I'm standing in a ~5ft opening to the kitchen. To my right is one stair case going to the upstairs and another going to a lower room (my 2nd choice). The floor of this room is wood (there's an unfinished basement under it)

here's the second room. I'm standing at the base of the stairs (only 4 stairs) from where the first picture was taken. The room is 12x15x7.5ft. I would probably put the black couch across the room just on the far side of the door and the tv would be centered against the far wall. My neighbor is about 20ft past the window. That's why I'm hesitant about putting an EP500 or something against that wall :D Thoughts?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don't understand why you care about the rooms and your neighbors.

Upstairs photo--what is to the left of where you took the picture? And what is to the left of the stairway going down, behind the black couch?

Downstairs photo--what is to the left and right of the stairs?

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I don't want to bother the older lady next door with heavy bass (I'm assuming she may be able to hear it.. who knows, perhaps she won't be able to at all)

Here's an alternate view of the main room. I would probably mount two rear speakers on the wall to my immediate left, instead of trying to have them beside the listening position.

View from the other end of my lower room. The white door is to the garage, middle door goes to the basement, and the left door is a small closet.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well,

My opinion of the downstairs room would be to put the screen on the blue wall with your main speakers. The surrounds would be mounted on the opposite wall (wall with shelf).

Upstairs the room would stay the same and put the screen in from of the couch on that wall. The rears could go on stands right in the corner next to stairway, which looks like it would be out of the way. But on the opposite side to the right of the white door I don't know what it there for the other surround.

Upstairs looks like more room. :D More light in room. :(

Old lady might hear, but most likely will feel bass up or downstairs. :D

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I've thought about that as well for the smaller room. After remeasuring some things, I actually think the smaller one would better suit my needs. Mainly because I don't have to worry about making space to walk through the room from the doorway. My only concern is that the surrounds wouldn't actually be behind me at all (unless I set the room up lenthwise)

It's a pretty dark room with only one small window, so that would work nicely for a little entertainment center :D

Thanks for the input.

So anyone else.. what are your room dimensions? :D

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
(19 x 15 x 8)+ ~3600 cu ft leaky. I'd prefer the basement option w/ TV on the window wall. I wouldn't worry about your neighbor with the sub in the basement.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
My HT room is 15'x27'. If I were you I would also go with the basement option. I don't know what your audio equiptment is, but most current recievers and pre/pro's have two zone capability and you can set up a second set of speakers upstairs for music and control everything with an RF remote and an IR repeater on the lower lever. By the way, used to live in a townhouse laid out alot like you new place and the lady next door could almost never hear my HT when it was in the lower level even when I was watching stuff like U571.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Room size
Length 13ft.06”
Width 9ft.09”
Height 8ft10”

Well mines small but loud and with the presently installed JBL Control series loudspeakers with matching three-screen as well as two extra JBL Control for a later installation of inner left centre and inner right centre the fronts are well covered and ready! Driver size 6 ½ and there in the process of being modified via matching Alesis RA300 amplifiers and Behringer DCX2496. So far I have x1 DCX2496 and 1x Alesis RA300 once I reach x3 RA300 I’ll be making some new changes to the EQ with the Behringer DEQ2496 x2 for LCR sub bass extension LFE.1.

Sub bass extension and LFE.1 is delivered via the JBL professional JBL 4645 18”

Surrounds are covered from wall to wall to rear wall as well as height overhead surround arrays this will cater for just about any film, the surrounds are slightly boosted but are protected with an audio limiter, and when probably adjusted.

For example the Millennium Falcon flyby in Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, this is towards the end of the film as it passes down the right wall surround array, and can easily send the cat out of the room! Yes too loud but not here, even the softer sounds come though clearer! It’s all about design and balancing the levels.

So this home cinema as got quite a few surprises up its sleeves that will leave most pondering for days?

The picture here of the front was taken early this year and as since then changed slightly.

They’re hasn’t been any changes to the surround array since the installing of the height surround last December 2006. The sidewall and back surrounds where installed during the summertime of 2006. There are still plans to install more side and rear wall as well as four more for the height surrounds.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL!

My room is ~23x14 with a high vaulted ceiling.

I'd opt for the basement, however bass can be an issue with basements, so even though it is slightly smaller and has better dimensions, you may still need a fairly potent sub.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
LOL!

I'd opt for the basement, however bass can be an issue with basements, so even though it is slightly smaller and has better dimensions, you may still need a fairly potent sub.

23x14 sounds like it would make for a good ht room.

I'm debating between the modestly sized and healthy ep500, or the much larger, but half as expensive hsu vtf3 mk3. Decisions, decisions :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
LOL!

hey john, what issues are there with bass in basements?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With concrete surrounded by dirt, you get less room "sympathetic" response aka less tactile response from the room, so the sense of bass tends to be affected by the more dense room. I noticed this going from my upstairs apartment to my current place which I think my floor in this particular room is on concrete and there is NO resonance in the floor. That lack of resonance meant the lowest frequencies do not transmit through the floor as well as my previous place, so the perception is less bass. Having the walls being dense also adds to the condition I'm sure. I don't have enough experience to give an educated reason why this happens, but I do know that it happens.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
My room is 11 x 14 w/8ft ceiling. It's also the main living room with the main entrance to the house and doors to the kitchen, hallway and a closet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis