How best to split analogue "outs" to multiple amps. It can't be as easy as a Y cable??

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Greetings All,

Currently running 2 simple, Radio Shack Y-RCA-cable splitters to run the signal from my brand new Emotiva XDA-2 DAC to 2 separate amps powering 2 sets of 2 speakers (4 total speakers)

I've read in forums that that is perfectly fine, that the signal from the DAC, unlike wattage to a speaker, will not dilute by a degree that would be audible to the average ear.

I've also read that the signal should be split, and powered to avoid loss. I should point out that I will be adding more amps and zones soon.

Would this be money well spent?: SB 1x8 s Video Composite Video Analog Digital Audio Splitter Dist Amp SB 3737SV | eBay

Or this: Neopro Borrego 8x4 Matrix Switch Component Video Digital Audio Analog Audio | eBay

Or this: Xantech ZPR68 10 Multizone Preamp 6 Zone 8 Source Audio Video Preamp Complete | eBay

I'm guessing I can't be lucky enough to learn that the Y cable is just fine...there's gotta be a much more expensive and complicated solution!!

Thanks in advance!

Onward and upward
Puff

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Since the XDA has both balanced and unbalanced outputs active simultaneously, you can simply use a XLR to RCA cable and not have to fiddle with any splitters.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4786&seq=1&format=2

Which amps are you driving? If the amp has balanced input, you don't even need to go XLR to RCA. Any balanced cable will do.

That said, the signal levels are different an the balanced vs unbalanced outputs. You will need to match the gain at the amps if you intend to have all four speakers level matched.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, it IS as easy as a "Y" cable. As withanything else, therare limits to how many times you can split it before any loss becomes apparant, but by then the impedance problems may be the bigger issue.

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Wow...2 amazingly easy solutions! Thanks.

I've never used any XLR cable...good to know/find a conversion cable that will allow for 2 separate delivery options.

The amps have no gain control. They are nice little antiques I've had for 30 years. I have two amps so I can run this system in BTL mode if needed. Toshiba System 15 on thevintageknob.org

Thanks!!

Onward and upward
Puff

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Uh oh. Well Houston, we have an issue. I am always running 2, 3 sets of speakers. Any thoughts?

thanks!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if going from balanced to unbalanced (using the cable I linked earlier) will resolve the problem since the signal level is effectively halved. Can someone with experience using balanced to unbalanced connections chime in?
Uh oh. Well Houston, we have an issue. I am always running 2, 3 sets of speakers. Any thoughts?
You can add a signal distribution box in the chain. So, XDA RCA to this box and then to the amps, Rolls DA134 4-Channel Distribution Amp DA134 B&H Photo Video

The caveat is that your gain structure (in this case, volume knobs on the Rolls box) needs to be carefully adjusted so that you don't clip the input and output stages while not giving up dynamic range.

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again.

I ordered some xlr/rca cables and will be trying to use both "outs" simultaneously. Whether or not I will hear any difference remains to be seen.

I will also be adding a third amp this week, requiring yet another set of inputs. In my limited time here (audioholic-world) it appears that there are a few ways to efficiently run multiple zones

1) Have a multi-zone amp
2) Have a distribution amp like agarwarlo suggested (which may/may not create "gain" issues, about which I am ignorant.
3) Use a multizone preamp
4) Stick with y-splitters

It would be great to use the Emotiva remote control to adjust volume, but if an additional preamp is added, I'm hearing the 2 volume "systems" will/can create issues, or at least require adjustment to avoid clipping?

So far, so good...the system sounds great, but I'd like to know if I am losing signal when running through the y-cable...

Onward and upward
Puff

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding using both inputs, I encourage you call Emotiva and do research/post on the Emotiva forum. All my talk is generic and it would be prudent to have the perspective of someone actually using both outputs.

PURELY THEORETICALLY: The number of "safe" splits depends on sum of amp input impedance (assume a low 10K Ohm per amp) and (divided by) HDA output impedance (assume same as XDA1, then balanced is 100 Ohm and for the unbalanced is 1K Ohm). So, 100 balanced and 10 unbalanced.

IRL: But remember, every split causes losses and degradation not counted in the impedance based calculation. Practically, I won't recommend more than a 3 way split on unbalanced (RCA) output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis