F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
This is the room I have my budget home theatre in. I have nowhere else to put it. I have heard square rooms are the absolute worst...so am I totally screwed?

Edit: I can't post images yet, gonna have to double post. Sorry about this.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Square rooms are unusually prone to room modes that wreak havoc with subwoofer sound waves. You may want to perform the "crawling for bass" procedure to optimize your bass response. You might also want to look at some room treatments, particularly bass traps for the corners. I'm sure it's fixable. It's just a matter of optimizing what you have.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
You may want to perform the "crawling for bass" procedure to optimize your bass response. You might also want to look at some room treatments, particularly bass traps for the corners.
Adding an EQ for the subwoofer can help too.

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
My receiver has Audyssey 2EQ. I Think that has helped my room sound somewhat decent thus far. Is this similar to the sub eq you mention. Or do you mean a graphics equalizer solely for the sub?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
My receiver has Audyssey 2EQ. I Think that has helped my room sound somewhat decent thus far. Is this similar to the sub eq you mention. Or do you mean a graphics equalizer solely for the sub?
Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with how, and over what frequency range Audyssey's 2EQ works to to say with certainty how similar it is to a stand alone parametric EQ.

But, should you chose to add one (such as a SMS-1, or BFD, or R-DES), it would have the potential of reducing, or removing frequency peaks that will make bass sound boomy, muddy and slow. I would not recommend, however, using a graphic EQ as it would not have the precision needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis