House Republicans ready Volkswagen bailout vote

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Have you read the bill? I don't see how it would prevent a class action wrt consumers who have seen the value of their cars post emissions disclosure significantly diminish seeking financial redress.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
The above article was written by David Dayen, a former blogger who writes for various publications including that rag, The Daily Kos. He is not a lawyer, nor a journalist, and is decidedly progressive when framing his words. In my mind, loss of value is an injury and not especially difficult to demonstrate so I don't see where this is a bailout of VW. They'll be hit hard and rightfully so around the world through class actions, small claims, and governmental punitive actions.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here is hoping that there isn't any truth in it. The talk now for my generation of TDi is a buy back.

Should be interesting but I doubt anything will be resolved come this time next year.

I have no idea how small claims is going to enter into this as most small claims award ceilings don't begin to approach the monetary damage VW has inflicted.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's going to take a while for sure. Many years ago the wife had a Jetta. Drove well, spacious interior and trunk, decent mileage. She was rear ended on the way to work, which was in turn plowed the front into other cars. No scratch on her but the car was absolutely destroyed. Told her we should get another one seeing as she walked away but she felt jinxed and bought something else. How's yours been holding up mechanically?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
My understanding is that VW has been fined in the Billions and it seems like a software update and/or ECM replacement would be the required fix... Of course that better be paid for by VW.

How does the EPA get away with not doing actual road tests on cars?
Their 2014 budget was $8.2 Billion; sounds like a great place to start a class action.
That is, after the people sue the EPA for their forced use of MTBE and subsequent pollution.

By 2001, MTBE was found to have polluted the ground water in 49 states.
EPA knew about the danger of MTBE for ten years before the 1990 Clean Air Act but made no attempt to alert Congress or notify the public. In 2001 the popular CBS program “60 Minutes” displayed official documents from EPA itself showing the EPA was aware of the problem as far back as 1980. Yet EPA quietly let legislation pass in 1990 that would increase the use of MTBE—and then for another 15 years did nothing about the problem it had precipitated.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My understanding is that VW has been fined in the Billions and it seems like a software update and/or ECM replacement would be the required fix... Of course that better be paid for by VW.
From what I read VW knew about this back in 2014 and tried twice with a software patch.

1st Gen TDi 2009-2011 will require extensive hardware/software. That most likely isn't going to happen.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

How does the EPA get away with not doing actual road tests on cars?
Their 2014 budget was $8.2 Billion; sounds like a great place to start a class action.
That is, after the people sue the EPA for their forced use of MTBE and subsequent pollution.

By 2001, MTBE was found to have polluted the ground water in 49 states.
EPA knew about the danger of MTBE for ten years before the 1990 Clean Air Act but made no attempt to alert Congress or notify the public. In 2001 the popular CBS program “60 Minutes” displayed official documents from EPA itself showing the EPA was aware of the problem as far back as 1980. Yet EPA quietly let legislation pass in 1990 that would increase the use of MTBE—and then for another 15 years did nothing about the problem it had precipitated.

They are bigger crooks then VW and most likely are using VW to deflect as much unwanted attention to them, that corporate pool of pond sh?eating scum!!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Having owned several Audi's in my lifetime, I think I am done with them. I absolutely love my Q5 TDI as it is just a fun car that has so much torque that it surprises me daily. With just minor mods, I can spank about anything off the line which is crazy in a SUV and with just add-on sway bars, the thing handles like a sports car. I can easily get 30 mpg(combined) and I drive like a kid with his first Camaro.

The emissions "fix" on the 3.0'S will likely just be to inject more ADblue but the "cost" to the owner will be less HP and less MPG.

All that being said, I am not a tree hugger and I could care less about the environmental impact caused by the emissions work around done by VW. What hurts is my car has zero trade in value right now and who knows how that will change in the future. VW has only offered a $2,000 incentive for TDI owners so far and nothing for Audi 3.0's. Even if they offer us the same deal that's not a lot when you are sitting on a $60,000 car with no value. A buy-back is about the only thing that would please me at this point.

The fact that Audi begins building in Mexico vs Germany next year seals the deal for me to walk away for good.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yep, the absurdity of class action lawsuits isn't lost on me. The check was originally for $0.63 cents but the plaintiff has to pay for processing and postage ;-)

I'm just waiting for my $0.07 check.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's going to take a while for sure. Many years ago the wife had a Jetta. Drove well, spacious interior and trunk, decent mileage. She was rear ended on the way to work, which was in turn plowed the front into other cars. No scratch on her but the car was absolutely destroyed. Told her we should get another one seeing as she walked away but she felt jinxed and bought something else. How's yours been holding up mechanically?
So far so good. The check engine light came on and the R2D2 (OBD II Reader) says insufficient air flow so the EGR may need replaced (figures it's an emissions piece).

The drivers button that controls the front passenger window is a bit erratic.

I'm dubious as to putting a dime into it other than standard maintenance.

Really hoping for a buy back option. Technically in cases of outright fraud it's been mentioned that you would get your purchase price back. I'll take what I can get and if they want to give me back the purchased costs, plus tax, title fees I could live with that ;)

We'll consider the difference in value as just desserts for VW.

All in all sad because the car is thoughtfully engineered (in more way than one).

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Really hoping for a buy back option. Technically in cases of outright fraud it's been mentioned that you would get your purchase price back. I'll take what I can get and if they want to give me back the purchased costs, plus tax, title fees I could live with that ;)

We'll consider the difference in value as just desserts for VW.

All in all sad because the car is thoughtfully engineered (in more way than one).

They've got a fleet of 2016's that are not allowed for sale by the EPA, due to this fraud. Let's get those up to standard, and then we just trade them out!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The above article was written by David Dayen, a former blogger who writes for various publications including that rag, The Daily Kos. He is not a lawyer, nor a journalist, and is decidedly progressive when framing his words. In my mind, loss of value is an injury and not especially difficult to demonstrate so I don't see where this is a bailout of VW. They'll be hit hard and rightfully so around the world through class actions, small claims, and governmental punitive actions.
I want to see what the government does with the money they collect in fines- I think I saw $900M as what they want VW to pay and that has nothing to do with the payments to the car owners.

I know someone who has a 2012 Jetta and he got a $1000 gift card, he'll get free oil changes for as long as he owns the car and more prizes to be determined later.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis