Hours till Red Ring O Death?

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Raise of hands how many of you actually know why this problem occurs?

Yup....

Just Google "replacement xclamp".

You can take other users suggestions, and buy a PS3. Of course if you do that, you'll lose the ability to play games.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

Yup....

You can take other users suggestions, and buy a PS3. Of course if you do that, you'll lose the ability to play games.

Yeah, but you'll have a warranty (not that you'd need it).

SheepStar

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You didn't have THIS intercooler hooked up did you? Apparently they can cause a variety of problems. Sorry to hear about your broken box....I'm on #2myself :eek:[/QUOTE

That 'is' the fan setup I have.
I still have the original packaging, and looked to see what kind of a electrical load the fan put on the Xbox, and it doesn't show how many watts it draws.
On the NYCO Intercooler web site, they don't show electrical specs either. I'll have to take it apart, to get the specs from the three fans.
They say the fan is now in it's third version, and had a 1% failure rate with the first version; I have the first version.
That explains why it was on sale when I got it.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have 'about' 13 hours on the Xbox.
I'll bet I don't even have that many on it.
It was really babied, I never played it in the summer. The warmest, was a few days ago, sixties. In the winter, I played with the window opened, and the unit on the floor, where it was coolest. Paranoid I am.:D
Rick

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
You didn't have THIS intercooler hooked up did you? Apparently they can cause a variety of problems. Sorry to hear about your broken box....I'm on #2myself :eek:
That 'is' the fan setup I have.
I still have the original packaging, and looked to see what kind of a electrical load the fan put on the Xbox, and it doesn't show how many watts it draws.
On the NYCO Intercooler web site, they don't show electrical specs either. I'll have to take it apart, to get the specs from the three fans.
They say the fan is now in it's third version, and had a 1% failure rate with the first version; I have the first version.
That explains why it was on sale when I got it.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have 'about' 13 hours on the Xbox.
I'll bet I don't even have that many on it.
It was really babied, I never played it in the summer. The warmest, was a few days ago, sixties. In the winter, I played with the window opened, and the unit on the floor, where it was coolest. Paranoid I am.:D
Rick
You need to read between the lines here. The FAN had a less than 1% failure rate. That doesn't say anything about the Xbox it is attached to! It might be frying it like the article suggsted, or not. But the 1% applies the the intercooler only. Not the XBox...

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Damn.

So if I buy a PS3 I won't be able to play the 2 games I have been playing most of the time on my 360, Madden 08 or Oblivion?

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic

Yup....

Please explain what you mean when you say "you'll lose the ability to play games." Thanks.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Wow, this turned into another PS3 vs. 360 thread....what a surprise :(

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Wow, this turned into another PS3 vs. 360 thread....what a surprise :(
I could be wrong, but i don't think the two main instigators in these threads even *OWN* either console.:rolleyes: They just run around yelling "Call SVS for a recommendation, they won't oversell you". Oh wait, that's what fanboys post in other threads about products they don't own there either ;)

Last edited:
Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I could be wrong, but i don't think the two main instigators in these threads even *OWN* either console.:rolleyes: They just run around yelling "Call SVS for a recommendation, they won't oversell you". Oh wait, that's what fanboys post in other threads about products they don't own there either ;)
lol you like the N-gage.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX last week to order my coffin.
While I was on the phone, the rep(she was very friendly ) asked if the unit was plugged into a surge suppressor? I answered "Yes."
She informed me that my surge protector may have had caused my 360 death.
I said, "I thought they were heat related, the board warps, and that causes the BGA loosen?"

Then she read a prepared statement:
The Xbox 360 is highly sensitive to reductions in power, and even the slightest cut in power can cause things like the fans and even the DVD laser to malfunction. Surge protectors can cause this, and probably 90% of the consoles they see have all failed in 6-12 months of being plugged into a surge protector.

Even though that sounded like B.S. on many levels, I replied, "That doesn't speak well of the 360's power supply." " And, all electronics should be plugged into a good surge suppressor."

I dropped saying anything further, once I knew she was sending me an Xbox coffin.
So now it's a waiting game.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think it would be stupid to not plug a $350+ piece of equipment into a surge protector... not to mention most people would be using one anyways since they need multiple outlets for their stuff.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX last week to order my coffin.
While I was on the phone, the rep(she was very friendly ) asked if the unit was plugged into a surge suppressor? I answered "Yes."
She informed me that my surge protector may have had caused my 360 death.
I said, "I thought they were heat related, the board warps, and that causes the BGA loosen?"

Then she read a prepared statement:
The Xbox 360 is highly sensitive to reductions in power, and even the slightest cut in power can cause things like the fans and even the DVD laser to malfunction. Surge protectors can cause this, and probably 90% of the consoles they see have all failed in 6-12 months of being plugged into a surge protector.

Even though that sounded like B.S. on many levels, I replied, "That doesn't speak well of the 360's power supply." " And, all electronics should be plugged into a good surge suppressor."

I dropped saying anything further, once I knew she was sending me an Xbox coffin.
So now it's a waiting game.

That sounds to me like a cop-out statement to avoid saying the 360's power supply is severely inadequate.

Does it say anywhere on the box or in the user manuals to not plug the 360 into a surge protector? I can't say I've seen that statement in print in my mauals/box (not that i've read every cm of the fine print)...nor do I recall any piece of electronics making that kind of a statement.

Is this a first?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That sounds to me like a cop-out statement to avoid saying the 360's power supply is severely inadequate.

Does it say anywhere on the box or in the user manuals to not plug the 360 into a surge protector? I can't say I've seen that statement in print in my mauals/box (not that i've read every cm of the fine print)...nor do I recall any piece of electronics making that kind of a statement.

Is this a first?
My money is on cop-out.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, but that is total BS. How can you design a consumer product that can't be plugged into a power strip? HELLO, 99% of all users are going to do this... You can't tell me they didn't test this unit over the last YEAR for this after seeing the number of failures they've had. "Do you think we should test these with a plug strip?" "Nah, it will be fine..."

A

alexsound

Audioholic

Is this a first?
You'd think considering the power supply for the 360 is as big as a brick, and almost as heavy it would be the last part of the 360 that has problems. If anything, a regular type (cheap) surge protector will help stabilize what's coming out of the wall, at lease surge-wise. Won't do anything on lagging voltage.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Sorry, but that is total BS. How can you design a consumer product that can't be plugged into a power strip? HELLO, 99% of all users are going to do this... You can't tell me they didn't test this unit over the last YEAR for this after seeing the number of failures they've had. "Do you think we should test these with a plug strip?" "Nah, it will be fine..."
Next thing they'll ask is "Did you plug the unit into a wall socket ?" If so, that may be your problem, because electricity can cause the unit to fail, especially if you turn the unit on"

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Next thing they'll ask is "Did you plug the unit into a wall socket ?" If so, that may be your problem, because electricity can cause the unit to fail, especially if you turn the unit on"
So far that seems to be what's killing them... usage.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis