hooking up my receiver to my pc.

michael mccown

michael mccown

Audiophyte
I am using a sony str dn 1040 with 5.1. My stereo works just fine with a bluetooth connection with the 5.1, but when my pc tries, it can't do it.
I have gone into my playback devices (with my windows 7 computer) and select the HDMI setting(which the sound and video come from). I "configure speakers" and i get a few options including 5.1, but when i test the speakers, no sound comes from the surround speakers or my sub woofer. In fact when I "test" them i get sound out of my front speakers sometimes...

umm.. has anyone found this to be an issue like me?
What can I do?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you installed newest audio/video drivers for your pc? What pc/graphics card have you got? Also is your played material in 5.1 or stereo? If you play stereo material from your pc it wont magically appear in 5.1. Some media players might not support 5.1 format as well. So there can be many factors in this issue.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
As far as I know, BlueTooth's AD2P support stereo only, but I could be wrong. check to make sure your "surround" from BlueTooth isn't some kind of DSP automatically applied by you AVR.

Second, what transport are you using ? Analog, optical, TOSLink or HDMI ?

Third what software are you using ?

For bitstreaming, VLC, MPC-HC and JRiver work. Other software can do multi-channel, via PCM, such as Foobar2000. Apparently, it can also bitstream, but I haven't made it work yet.

There a few tips on this thread, called "Winamp, bitstream or passthrough". The OP never showed-up for his answer, but there's quite a bit of work in that thread which is related to your question, it may help you resolve your issue .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis