Hooking up a 7.2 system amp + receiver

D

Deepwater

Enthusiast
Here is my question. I have a complete 7.2 system with all silver triads in the ceilings and 2x 12" Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1200F subs w/ custom boxes built into the walls. So far I've purchased a receiver which is a Denon AVR-4000. I want to add an amp so I was thinking of getting an Emotiva XPA-5 amp.

Could I hook up like this -
L,C,R and both subs run off of XPA-5
Surrounds and rears run off of Denon Avr-4000 receiver

XPA-5 | 200W x 5 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifier

Denon AVR-X4000 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You can do that, and I think you would likely be fine with it, depending on the exact subwoofers in question. Given the low impedance of your speakers (if they are the Silver/4 or Silver/6), using a separate ąmp for them seems like a really good idea, particularly for the front speakers, since they typically play the loudest (and for longer duration) for soundtracks. You will probably be okay with running the surround speakers off of the receiver.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, you can do that, though that's not much power for the subs. Using the XPA-5 may not be the best amp for this situation but it should work.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My concern would be the subs hooked up to the XPA-5, or any other amp that doesn't have gain controls. I'm just wondering if the volume on the subs will be too loud, and the Denon won't be able to turn the level down far enough. I say that because the gain on my sub amps has to be turned down pretty far to get them within range that my receiver can get the levels evened out with my other speakers (which is true whether I'm running external amps to my speakers or not).

I'm just throwing that out there. :) I know that other people here run passive subs with external amps, and they might know better.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you can do that, though that's not much power for the subs. Using the XPA-5 may not be the best amp for this situation but it should work.
Perhaps, but if the subwoofers are 4 ohms, the ąmp is rated to deliver 300 watts continuously with all channels driven. So a 3dB increase in one sub would require 600 watts, and another 3dB increase would require 1200 watts. So there would not be a lot of volume to be had with more power, even assuming that the subwoofers can handle it, and assuming that the XPA-5 cannot deliver any more power for peaks. But it is possible that that bit more might be needed.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
My concern would be the subs hooked up to the XPA-5, or any other amp that doesn't have gain controls. I'm just wondering if the volume on the subs will be too loud, and the Denon won't be able to turn the level down far enough. I say that because the gain on my sub amps has to be turned down pretty far to get them within range that my receiver can get the levels evened out with my other speakers (which is true whether I'm running external amps to my speakers or not).

I'm just throwing that out there. :) I know that other people here run passive subs with external amps, and they might know better.
Interesting. I don't use that particular ąmp, but I do use one without gain controls for my passive subs, and there is no problem at all.

G

Grador

What amp wold you guys recommend for the subs? The Dayton Audio SA1000 looks interesting. Could I run both subs off of that amp since my subs are 4ohm

Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier Rack Mountable 300-811
Pyrrho had an excellent point (quoted below). You could use that dayton, it would give you a little more control (that you probably don't want or need besides maybe gain). The big problem with it is that you would only get a marginal increase in power. The problem is that the emo would give you more power. Emo is 300x2 into 4 ohm (600 watts). With that Dayton you'd have go hook them up in series yielding an 8 ohm load which this will only give you 497 watts.

Perhaps, but if the subwoofers are 4 ohms, the ąmp is rated to deliver 300 watts continuously with all channels driven. So a 3dB increase in one sub would require 600 watts, and another 3dB increase would require 1200 watts. So there would not be a lot of volume to be had with more power, even assuming that the subwoofers can handle it, and assuming that the XPA-5 cannot deliver any more power for peaks. But it is possible that that bit more might be needed.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I would assume the receiver would have the ability to adjust subwoofer output level.

What amp wold you guys recommend for the subs? The Dayton Audio sub amps looks interesting. Could I run both subs off of that amp since my subs are 4ohm

Dayton Audio SA230 230W Subwoofer Amplifier 300-813

or

Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier Rack Mountable 300-811
You need to say what, exactly, the subs are that you will be using. My guess is that you will be fine with your original plan. The second of those Dayton amps is the only one I would consider an upgrade (if you bought two of them), and it may be unnecessary.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, would think you would e better off with two monolocks for the two subwoofers as opposed to a stereo unit. That way, each would have it's own power supply to drain.

Also, I'm not a "car guy", but these seem to be designated for a car, as do the recommended enclosure sizes. You do realize that the cubic feet in a home environment is much, much greater than that in an automobile and has much. much more air to move, thereby rendering the suggested cmclosure sizes pretty useless. Also, a 30 hz bottom end barely qualifies for subwoofer status.

Finally, I don't really understand dropping all these resources on a system that uses all ceiling speakers. That kinda defeats the purpose of a home theater, although it's great for background music.

D

Deepwater

Enthusiast
It's called a multi-purpose room. Also not really looking to rattle the walls.

G

Grador

Finally, I don't really understand dropping all these resources on a system that uses all ceiling speakers. That kinda defeats the purpose of a home theater, although it's great for background music.
When I read the OP's initial post I noted this part and then promptly forgot this part. I completely agree, using all in ceiling speakers anything more than the receivers amps is almost certainly complete overkill. Look at two monoblocks or a 2 channel for the subs.

D

Deepwater

Enthusiast
When ...... I completely agree, using all in ceiling speakers anything more than the receivers amps is almost certainly complete overkill. Look at two monoblocks or a 2 channel for the subs.
These Triad in ceiling which are arguably one of best inceiling systems made.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No doubt, but it's the "in ceiling" part itself that raises questions. Imaging will suffer greatly by having the sound eminate from overhead and, unless the screen is in the middle of the room away from all room boundaries. in-walls, at least for the LCR trio, while still not perfect, would afford a better overall effect. But, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis