Home Theatre Suggestions

B

boournsb

Audiophyte
Hi anybody!

I've got a denon avr 1912 hooked up to some old fischer speakers, and I was looking for suggestions on possible speaker combinations to complete my home theatre.

-I'm going to be using it to play video games mostly and also watch movies and listen to music slightly less often.

-I'm around a 12' by 20' room.

-This room is kind of crowded with furniture, but I'll be moving to a more open space eventually.

-I don't care if the speakers are big or clunky.

-I don't want to spend any more than $2000 on a whole 7.1 setup.

If anyone has good suggestions or needs to know more please let me know! I'm still towards the beginning of this whole process, but I'd like to do it right.

Thanks

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think you'll have more luck posting this in the speaker section. In the mean time I'll toss out some ideas. First unless you have at least 4' of open space behind your seating location I'd go with 5.1 with the surrounds to the left and right.

Option 1
2x Infinity P363 towers $200ea
1x Infinity PC351 center $200
2 or 4x P153 bookshelves as surrounds $75ea
That's $750-900 for pretty decent speakers.

Option 2
1 pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE bookshelves $568/pair
1 CMT-340SE center
1 pair CBM-170SE bookshelves mounted on stands or a Pinpoint AM40 wall mount.
A 5.0 set will run ~$1200 plus whatever stands that you buy.

Subwoofer
Depending on space limitations I'd look at a SVSounds PC12-NSD for $750 with a plan to buy a second if/when you move to a room more than twice that size. It doesn't take up a lot of floor space, plays deep and can very easily handle that room - assuming it can be closed off from the rest of the house. Or you could go with a Rythmik FV12 for $50 with a plan to buy a second if you move to a room much more than 50% larger.

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
I think it's great that I can come on here and just get a bunch of recommendations for my home theater. I'm not buying yet but will probably soon so it's nice to see how easy this site is to use.

B

Bassbinotoko

Enthusiast
If you agree with the "all speakers should be identical" school of thought, choose a speaker that's common on the used market and buy 4 to 7 of them. 4 is enough to enjoy 4.0 or 4.1 with a phantom centre. The cheap(er)skate approach is to begin with the best cheap pair you can snag from a yard sale or thrift store. Then buy more through other sources. There is also an argument to be made that rear speakers don't have to match the fronts. Identical speakers sound very different if they're located in different parts of the room. At least in my room. Perhaps a proper home doesn't do that.

For the subwoofer(s), I suggest a sheet or two of MDF from Home Depot, one to four quality drivers (10" to 15"), and a weekend or two making sawdust. There are "plate amps" ready to screw into the side of the box, but a secondhand hifi or pro amp usually gives more watts for the buck. [Example: The NHT SW3 12" sub, which listed for around $700, contained one NHT1259 woofer which could be bought for about $125. (Sometimes much less with group buys.) The powered version (with an external amp) listed for about $500 more. So, someone who bought two NHT1259s and a $400 used pro amp got about $2400 worth of subwoofage (is that a word?) for an "investment" of $650 plus MDF and decking screws and time.] If you have a spare receiver, integrated amp, or basic amp already, try that first. With the sensitivity of two (or more) subs, as little as 50 watts per sub may be quite satisfactory. Anyway, the NHT1259 is gone, but there's various current drivers that offer even better value. Check the DIY section of avsforums, kits & plans from Creative Sound Solutions, Madisound, Zalytron, Parts Express. (A few car subs also make good home subs, but they're usually overpriced to pay for all the marketing.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis