Home theatre build... budget: ~2-2.5k for speakers+receiver

N

neoinarien

Audiophyte
As thread suggests: moving into new house. This would be a home theatre build, 5.1. I would like to keep the net budget, not including any wires or stands, etc, to around $2,000 to 2,500 USD (less would be great... if I am still gaining a lot in the game of diminishing returns, I may be prevailed upon to flex further). I have no brand loyalties or axes to grind. Though not for music, I do prefer warmer tones.

Thoughts?

This is a from scratch build.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In that budget, I would be looking at some bookshelf speaker fronts, and some models I would be looking at are Ascend CBM-170s, Hsu HB-1s, and HTD Level Threes, with their corresponding center speaker. For subwoofers, I would be looking at a Hsu VTF3 mk5 or VTF15h mk2, Reaction Echo 15, or Rythmik FVX15. For an AVR, I would be looking at the best Denon or Marantz receiver that you can afford after that, based on the features that you want. Yamaha and Pioneer also make very good receivers.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Speakers: (since you briefly mentioned stands) do you want bookshelves or towers, for your left and right channel?
IMO/YMMV: If you are doing JUST HT, bookshelves for sure. If you are doing a lot of music I believe that towers offer a slightly- yet noticeably larger soundstage in most cases. Going with towers MIGHT challenge your budget, but then again, it might not. That said I wouldn't let this alone dictate your decision, but IMO it's a consideration worth mentioning.

Subwoofer: We'd really need to know your room size in cubic inches, and if it's a sealed room (nothing more than one open normal size doorway), or a typical 'greatroom' kitchen combination style room. Also, have you done any initial research as to where you'd like a sealed or ported style subwoofer? Do you know how this room behaves with bass (both at the main listening place, and around the room), and are you considering dual subwoofers now or in the near future?

Receiver: There are some good closeouts on the Denon X3000, and X4000 receivers which I'd initially suggest.

Last edited:
N

neoinarien

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses!

So the room is a great room, carpeted, drop ceiling about 9'. This is a nicely finished basement. I'll grab some pictures if you think that would help (let me know!).

I am neutral re. dual vs. single sub.

I was looking at some polk rti a7s for the front, their rti a3's for rear, and their csi a6 for front. This was just based on reading reviews and keeping in mind the budget and goals.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Polk is your call - I am not a big fan

Along with Ascend, HSU and HTD - I would look at the JBL Studio 2 series

Studio 230 front
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-230-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GJXSWZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432781195&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+230+series

Studio 235 center
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-235C-6-5-Inch-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GJYRWK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432781367&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+235+series

Studio 220 surrounds
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-220-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GK22DF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432781461&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+220

As posted in post #2 - look at the HSU, Reaction Audio and Rythmik subs

Marantz, Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha 10xx up receivers, are nice options.
depends on your preference and what you want.

Enjoy the search adventure.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'd add XTZ's offerings to the list for consideration with that sort of budget.

Also, looks like Tom V. has a rather interesting pre-order on a dual 18" sub until mid-June. Not sure how much space you need to pressurize, but I'm pretty sure that would be fine for filling the entire floor, as well as possibly adjacent houses in your neighborhood. If you don't like your neighbors, you should definitely consider this.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis