Home Theater System Start-Out

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
Apologizes for my lack of knowledge...
Basically I’m creating my first time home theater system for around $500 to $600 (I can raise it a little if it makes a difference) I'm not a sensitive audiophile but I can tell what sounds good or bad. Right now I'm looking at the Onkyo HTS-770 which has high ratings, and doesn't sound bad from the quick demo I heard. I basically have a 10' width x 17' length x 10' height room approx. (I can get exact measures soon if needed). I’m basically looking for advice if I should go with that system or a “custom” system and if so… what parts?

Primary use is movie and regular TV with occosional music.

I am also wondering about what you people have to say about speaker systems on Ebay such as these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5775493556&rd=1

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank You in Advance

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen a few guys here upgrading that Onkyo system as soon as they bring it home. The receiver is underpowered, and the sub leaves something to be desired. As far as those ebay speakers, they actually got a decent rating here along with some Canyon Audio speakers. The only problem is they are power hungry, and require an upper end $600 receiver to drive them. My suggestion to you would be to find a year old Yamaha or Pioneer higher end 7.1 receiver for $350, then buy your speakers a little at a time. You'll end up with a better system in the long run, as opposed to trying to do it all at once. You have a nice sized room, and you'll need some good equipment to fill that room. Athena and BIC are better choices than Fluance and Canyon Audio IMO for your money. They are higher quality and priced very reasonably. You could purchase 4 DV62's and one CLRS62 center for around $350, then get your subwoofer in a few months for around $250 when you save up. Take your time. You'll get a lot of good advice here.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Home Stereo:06-Category=ael:06-Category=ghomestereo:keyword=speaker:4168-Brand=BIC America:keyword=speaker;_ylt=AudntogUU0pD53lpstYGQe5OnMUu;_ylu=X3oDMTBmNzVhaTljBF9zAwRzZWMDd2VzdG5hdg--?y=g

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
Hmm I was expecting some sort of answer like that. Hehe.

But for the receiver and sub what kind of specifications should I be shooting for?
The speaker system seems nice and I will research them a little (don't care about looks unless its something really dumb looking such as lime). Also maybe some info on what to look for in specs in speakers?

Thanks for the fast reply... as you can see im pretty anxious to get all this but I'm barely moving into my new house in about 2 weeks...

Last edited:
J

James_Stewart

Enthusiast
I owned the 770 for 30 days and returned it. I paid $270 for it at pcmall.com. Like Buckeye said, the receiver is badly underpowered and the speakers are worth $5 in my opinion. In the 30 days I had the system I did a ton of reading and research. I finally settled on a harman Kardon receiver and AperionAudio speakers.
For a reciever check out harmanaudio.com, they sell last year's models at good prices, also try jr.com and try pricegrabber. You will obviously want something 5.1 and above. You can never go wrong with a yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Harman Kardon, or Onkyo (receievers not speakers).

The speakers is where you should concentrate most of your cash. I was not a sensitive audiophile, just like you, but after hearing the HUGE difference between the Onkyo speakers and the AperionAudio speakers I'm convinced all these cookoo audiophiles are onto something. So for 30 days I was going cookoo trying to find the perfect set of speakers. Aperionaudio has a local showroom and they treated me like a king. Their website is great and they have a ton of incentives if buy from them. In my situation my room is 10'x15' I bought bookshelf speakers for the front, a center channel, little satellite speakers for the rear surrounds, and a 8" subwoofer. All got all this for a great $800.

So the other day I invited my friend over and he was in awe, we watched Terminator 3 (bad movie great sound) I coudn't help but grin from ear to ear :D (he was at my house when I had the Onkyo 770, and he also couldn't believe the difference)

~james

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
pokeme5x said:
Hmm I was expecting some sort of answer like that. Hehe.

But for the receiver and sub what kind of specifications should I be shooting for?
The speaker system seems nice and I will research them a little (don't care about looks unless its something really dumb looking such as lime). Also maybe some info on what to look for in specs in speakers?

Thanks for the fast reply... as you can see im pretty anxious to get all this but I'm barely moving into my new house in about 2 weeks...
First off, I wouldn't touch those speakers with a 10' pole.

Second, Speakers are the most important part of your HT setup. I just bought a bunch of BIC speakers and am in the process of writing a review right now. I actually took them down to BB and did a comparo with some Klipsh speakers. If I were you, I'd get:

6 BIC DV62si
1 BIC V1220 sub
1 Yamaha RXV450

This would cost you around $765 getting the speakers from amazon, and the receiver on ubid. This would be a very good sounding system. I wouldn't recomend them if I didn't know it sounded good.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
See, now I keep hearing how happy people are with the Onkyo as an entry level complete system that gets the job done.

I keep doing price checks on 'cheap' equipment that seems to be doing well and nothing really comes CLOSE to the Onkyo for price vs. performance - new w/warranty. Yes, there are some online deals and a fair amount of stuff you can get good deal on. But, even the setup listed immediately above will run no less than $1,000.00 (I checked Amazon.com for pricing & eBay as suggested). MSRP is closer to $1,600.00

That is over 100% more than the complete Onkyo HTS-770 setup is! Now, obviously at under $500.00 for the complete setup it will be lacking in about every single area of performance that there is. But, when I needed audio, I went with a $400.00 HTIB setup, then saved up for a couple of years before buying nice speakers. I didn't want to piece together so-so equipment, I wanted a complete system to enjoy for a couple of years, then I got a killer setup. No mucking around with so-so stuff. BIC may sound better and dozens of others will as well, but they don't sound great and if I considered seriously upgrading a year or two down the line, then I would be happy with decent for that time.

I would love to see an audioholics review of that specific Onkyo system as it consistently gets good reviews from people who are just getting into theater. The worst remarks tend to be about the size of the speakers, not about the quality.

Just my 2 cents on it though. Yes, I recommend spending a lot more money instead of going with the cheap solution. But, if you are going cheap, then I think the 770 is the best way to go that I have seen. I would like to hear some other complete setups that are good alternatives that will sound better for a full delivered price of no more than $500.00. I'm definitely open to alternatives, but not eBay once only deals or non-warranty refurb items that a person is taking a risk on. Love to hear options at under 500.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
this is my shot at a budget system I'm assuming we're just talking speakers and receiver... DVD player would bump it another $ 100

I'm giving two options on the speakers. in either case, here's a quality receiver to build with:

a Yamaha HTR-5740 ($ 223)

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=YAM+HTR5740SL&JRSource=DealTime.datafeed.YAM+HTR5740SL

if you are looking for small speakers, you might want to go with this package for $ 199:

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_21573.htm

and put in a moderate quality sub for $ 130

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_26740.htm

this puts you in the game for under $ 500 incuding shipping

------------------------------------------------------------------
if you want to go a little more serious:

a pair of Athena FS-1 floorstanders for mains ($ 97 each)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5335924&type=product&id=1051806301800

a pair of Athena FS-B1 bookshelf speakers for rears ($ 90 for the pair)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5335693&type=product&id=1051806301325

an Athena AS-C1 center ($ 88)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5336754&type=product&id=1051806304282

this would be something to use for several years and still enjoy for about $ 600 including the receiver. :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I told you you'd get a lot of good advice here. Nice recommendations, MacManm and Lep. I still love that Athena Audition line. Damn them for pulling that system. :mad:

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
Yes you are right Buckeye, so far this forum has exceeded my expectations.
But... Beautiful Advice From Everyone... Thank you for taking your time to respond.

I've been able to raise my budget to $650 now (still working on raising it)

Those Athena speakers look beautiful and I am really tempted to get them after reading high reviews and they are visually appealing. I'm banging my head against my desk now seeing as it’s out of my range (receiver, sub, and speakers) and that it's on sale and I guess out of production too?!

But perhaps I could purchase these speakers now and a receiver and a sub later on… I’ll “calculate” if I can do that. Currently two towers, two bookshelfs, and center will cost me $494 with tax and shipping. But according to what I have read those $200 may not cut it? plus I'd rather get a nicer sub at around $200+. Next thing I know I could be spending $1000 (not saying it's not worth it) on this... What a pain in the wallet.

I guess I'll have to looking at the BICs again and seeing what I can work out with that.
I'm certain that I probally won't be disappointed.

Also what do you guys have to say about these?
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AthenaTechnologiesMicra6p1.html

Last edited:
ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
I would be shocked if you could find the following still in stock:
a pair of Athena FS-B1 bookshelf speakers for rears ($ 90 for the pair)

an Athena AS-C1 center ($ 88)
perhaps the bookshelves, but definetly not the center. (at least not in New England area)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
ducker said:
I would be shocked if you could find the following still in stock:
perhaps the bookshelves, but definetly not the center. (at least not in New England area)
they reportedbeing out of the centers when I checked two weeks ago, but the website currently says all three type of speakers are available for on-line order

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Leprkon said:
they reportedbeing out of the centers when I checked two weeks ago, but the website currently says all three type of speakers are available for on-line order
I checked Best buy's website yesterday...
AS-F1
AS-C1

" Store Availability Not Available"

Hm, perhaps that means you won't be able to buy it from the actual B&M store front??

But they can ship it? well crap, I wish I didn't pay $141 2 months ago for my center!

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
Have you thought about the new line of marantz receivers? I recently bought the SR 4500 which is their "budget high current" receiver. I auditioned this receiver and compared it to onkyo and yamaha . This receiver sounded more .... "warm" , " natural". It´s hard to describe but it just sounded so much cleaner. By the way this receiver has component- s video upconversion and preouts in case you need more power ( excellent for future use) It has has plenty of clean 80 watts power RMS , which will be enough according to your needs.

The only thing I dislike of this receiver is the looks. It looks very simple and plain. No flashy lights or modern look. I guess Marantz aims directly at the sound , but at the end of the day, that´s the most important part ! :D

Oh, I almost forgot, the price of this beast is $ 400. ( most bang for buck)

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
Well This is the System That Im Planning On Going with... I have searched many websites and scraped off as many dollars as I could. Total is $664

Here it is, comments would be appreciated (Prices Include shipping and California Tax if Applicable)

(Copy pasting...)
Center: BIC America DV-62CLRS Center Speaker $111
2 Forward 2 Rear: BIC America DV62si-B Tower Speaker $226
Subwoofer: Velodyne VX10 $147
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D912K $180
----Total----
$664 including Shipping and Appicable Taxes

If you have any better deals on the components listed or on components of equal or better performance, I would appreciate it. But it is already very low so I'm not expecting anything.

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
It's 6.1 and yes it's a older model. Bleh... The Yamaha Seems Technically Superior?

Since it's memorial day and all that I'll be looking for some nice deals on recievers in hope that I may be able to pick up a nice one locally to save on shipping.

---Anyone mind giving recommendations on these recievers--- 5.1 System on a HDTV -- Prices include shipping if applicable

Sony STR-DE598 $200
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Surround-Sound-Receiver-STR-DE598-/sem/rpsm/oid/119447/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Onkyo TX-SR502 $250
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Surround-Sound-Receiver-TX-SR502-/sem/rpsm/oid/91318/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Pioneer VSX-D912K $180
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11007280&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Yamaha RXV450 $232
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=900982007

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Please stay away from the Sony. That's my first and most urgent suggestion. That pioneer is about 3 years old now, it did really well on CNET and Consumer Reports, but it is old technology now. You can do better on the Onkyo and Yamaha pricing. If you wouldn't mind a refurbished 502 that still has a valid 2 year manufac. warranty then to can get it for $149 at JR.com . You will also be able to find the Yamaha 5740 for $199 brand new and the 5840 (the 5740's replacement) for $249.88. I can't tell you what to buy but I would limit your thinking to the Onkyo or the Yamaha from your original selections. However you can get a Denon 1705 from dakmart.com for $266 and a Yamaha 815 from Vanns.com for $279. All of these would make great entry level receivers IMO. You have to make the ultimate decision though. Good luck and have fun shopping around.

P

pokeme5x

Enthusiast
After Further Review I'll probally go with the Yamaha 5740 for $209 Shipped or Less If I find better.

<s>Ugh... I just noticed the Velodyne VX10 is not a powered sub. Will that bring total output power to speakers down? Would there be any certain advantages with a powered sub?</s>

Update: Well I Can get the BIC V1220 Sub for just $5 more to my total system price raising it to $697.

I have feeling this is the better deal :D

Last edited:
malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Onkyo 502

I bought the HT-770 a couple a months ago. The reciever is basically the 502. In response to it be under powered I would ask everyone to take note of the speakers that come in the 770. I don't know if you can buy less efficient speakers. I think they are like 83 dB. That to explains the under powered deal. I knew what kind of speakers I was getting. It was a quick answer with a good reciever that left more fun in the future of upgrading my speakers (don't tell my wife that was what I was thinking when I bought it!). The reciever has worked wonderful. I think it can drive even those inefficient speakers loud enough for my purposes (which I love to shake the apartment with movies. Just watched Top Gun Dts the other day). I am completely happy with this reciever and believe it would do much better with some efficient speakers. And I have heard many people have been happy with refurbs. Can't go wrong at something like $150.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis