Home theater system has failed

• Thread starter lakshmi narayanan
  • Start date
L

lakshmi narayanan

Audiophyte
I have sony dav dz270 home theater system. but now my system has failed. so I want to make use of the 5speakers and 1 sub woofers. what should I buy now to make use those speakers.
i need Feautures like dvd, usb, aux, amplifier, surround sound. I am new to this forum. Help me.

S

surajkandukuri

Enthusiast
You want to use the speakers that come with sony dav dz270 ??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have sony dav dz270 home theater system. but now my system has failed. so I want to make use of the 5speakers and 1 sub woofers. what should I buy now to make use those speakers.
i need Feautures like dvd, usb, aux, amplifier, surround sound. I am new to this forum. Help me.
Unfortunately there is no unit you can buy. The whole system needs to be disposed of.

The speakers are 3 ohm and will blow any other unit. The sub is passive, so even if you could buy another unit you would need an amp for the sub in addition to a receiver.

You have learned a lesson. Do not by these HTIB units.

You need a need to but a receiver, BD/DVD player, and a set of speakers and a powered sub.

You now have the expense of starting from scratch. Another HTIB will be much cheaper, but you will be back where you started in no time.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well, there are a few "home theater in box" speaker sets from known loudspeaker makers, which use reasonably good quality speakers and subwoofers. These are of normal impedance and can be upgraded as time and budget allow, if ever.

None of those better kits are going to come in at under $500US, most worthy of mention will be over $1000US, and none will come complete with a good receiver.

You would be best to just start over, following TLS Guy's advice.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

All-in-one “home theater in a box” (HTIB) systems like your Sony are basically stand-alone systems that don’t accommodate “mixing and matching” with the products of other manufacturers. The speaker-impedance issue TLS mentioned is one problem. The other is that the connections used to connect the speakers to the amplifier are proprietary. So basically, if the electronics go out, you have to trash the entire thing, speakers and all, and get another one.

The “lesson learned” TLS mentioned is that bargain-basement HTIBs are notoriously unreliable and typically last only few years. A system like he mentioned with separate good-quality components will be more expensive initially, but will last infinitely longer. And if the electronics dofail, the speaker system can be re-used, so that expense doesn’t have to be repeated. On top of that, even the cheapest speakers will easily sound better than what came with your Sony.

An unfortunate side effect of a system of separate components, however, is that set up is more complicated.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Then go on ebay and buy the same head unit. Nothing else is going to work.

Although if you ask me, or anyone else, and we know you don't, they'd tell you it's a waste of money to try to keep that system going. It's on life support and brain dead, just let it die.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Like TLS and evryone else mentioned, the speakers that came with that system aren't very good at all and their low impedance will hurt receivers. If I were you and you want to keep cost down, I would seriously looking at buying used components that do not belong to an all in one system. If you look at my equipment list, the secondary system was all used components that I have picked up. You can see it in my gallery.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis