Home Theater System & Bookshelf Speakers

P

Patoons

Enthusiast
Potentially a basic question, but I'm looking at some receivers. I DON'T want surround sound with my TV. I'm only getting a receiver for music.

I was still looking at a Home Theater receiver (Onkyo HT-RC360). I'm looking to run two different sets of bookshelf speakers in two different rooms.

My questions is this:

1. The Onkyo I'm looking at is a 7.2 channel. I know you can use zone 2 of this receiver for bookshelf speakers, but can you use BOTH zone 1 and zone 2 as stereo bookshelf speakers even though it's meant for surround sound speakers?

2. Am I overpaying and getting a HT system and should I just be getting a stereo receiver?

Thanks for the help.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The answer to #1 is yes. Zone 2 gives you an additional main L/R speaker pair in addition to the normal Zone 1 main L/R speaker pair. Neither is meant for surround - that's what the surround channels are for.

The answer to #2 depends on what you're spending. Personally I'd probably head to Accessories4Less and get a Denon stereo receiver. The DRA-397 is only $209, is 4-ohm stable, and will happily put out 80 watts per channel into 2 zones.

What speakers are you looking at?

P

Patoons

Enthusiast
The answer to #1 is yes. Zone 2 gives you an additional main L/R speaker pair in addition to the normal Zone 1 main L/R speaker pair. Neither is meant for surround - that's what the surround channels are for.

The answer to #2 depends on what you're spending. Personally I'd probably head to Accessories4Less and get a Denon stereo receiver. The DRA-397 is only $209, is 4-ohm stable, and will happily put out 80 watts per channel into 2 zones.

What speakers are you looking at?
Got it thanks.

I'm looking at either the Cambridge S30s or Polk RTi A1s. Haven't decided, but going to listen to them again some time this week.

The Onkyo I put up there in my OP I've found for 299 (at PC Richards through February) and is 8ohm and 100 watts per channel. In 2 zones as well. I was leaning that unless I've found something better for the price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing to note is while you looking for "simple" 2 speaker system you need to remember a couple of things:
a) most stereo receivers do not have ability to power zone 2 speakers
b) at one stage or another you'd realize your bookshelfs missing something: explosions and gun shots just don't sound realistic and you'd want to add a subwoofer. The issue is unlike proper AVR's , stereo only models don't offer proper bass management
c) economy of scale - for every 20 AVR only 1 stereo only receiver is sold, so AVRs are likely to be a much better value

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Got it thanks.

I'm looking at either the Cambridge S30s or Polk RTi A1s. Haven't decided, but going to listen to them again some time this week.

The Onkyo I put up there in my OP I've found for 299 (at PC Richards through February) and is 8ohm and 100 watts per channel. In 2 zones as well. I was leaning that unless I've found something better for the price.
Cambridge S30s are good speakers, but I couldn't say the same for any polk below LS/i line

Checkout Aperion Verus bookshelfs and you not picky for looks - Audiophile Loudspeakers and Subwoofers for Home Theater and Music - Ascend Acoustics, renowned speakers,subs,audio - the make amazing speakers which have virtually no competition at their price point (again if you not particular for looks) - Most models, except Sierra-1 and Sierra Tower lacking in nice finishes, but can boast of reference sound and great value

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The $209 Denon DRA-397 does two zones, has a dedicated sub output with bass management, and is a Denon.

So while many stereo receivers may have the mentioned limitations, many others don't. They are good things to keep in mind while shopping though.

The speakers you have listed are excellent choices too. But they will definitely want a sub. You could maybe get some tower speakers and do without a sub.

P

Patoons

Enthusiast
Cambridge S30s are good speakers, but I couldn't say the same for any polk below LS/i line
Interesting. What's your issue with the specific Polk's I mentioned. I've heard some of the lower end ones and aren't really a fan, but liked how they sounded on first listen.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The $209 Denon DRA-397 does two zones, has a dedicated sub output with bass management, and is a Denon.

So while many stereo receivers may have the mentioned limitations, many others don't. They are good things to keep in mind while shopping though.

The speakers you have listed are excellent choices too. But they will definitely want a sub. You could maybe get some tower speakers and do without a sub.
I didn't know anything about this receiver, so I took a quick look around. Yes, it does have a sub-out connection, but I saw no indication of any bass management.:confused: Plus, if one uses the extra zones, they require separate amplification.

P

Patoons

Enthusiast
After looking further upon reading these posts... going to take a look at:
- PSB Alpha B-1s
- Paradigm Atoms

In addition to the Polk RTi's and Cambridge S30's listed above....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. What's your issue with the specific Polk's I mentioned. I've heard some of the lower end ones and aren't really a fan, but liked how they sounded on first listen.
This is the story: One bright day a few years ago I walked into big audio store and in one of the rooms they had all polk bookshelfs models available at time.

I listened to all of them starting from basic Monitor 40 thru LSi/9 and until I got to the last I ether a) hated the sound or b) was simply not impressed
It's the LSI/9 which played the best (by big margin) from the rest. However Polk prices them way out of most people reach and even refub LS/i models on ebay I seen go for 1/2 msrp are still overpriced imo

p.s: Paradigm makes some good speakers, but Atoms are not worth considerations for main speakers. I haven't heard the Altha's but people whom heard both Alpha and S30 were impressed with the later...

I still highly recommended to checkout Apperion Verus bookshelfs

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I'm looking at either the Cambridge S30s or Polk RTi A1s.
The Cambridge are good speakers made by Mission for them. While your at it the Cambridge amps are awesome. I've owned one and the match is excellent w/ Mission which I've also owned.

The DRA-397 is only $209, is 4-ohm stable, and will happily put out 80 watts per channel into 2 zones.
I owned the Denon dra395 which has the same receiver minus ipod dock ability. Trying to me musical Denon made the sound a bit too muffled and muted. I does match super detailed speakers better.

- PSB Alpha B-1s
- Paradigm Atoms

In addition to the Polk RTi's and Cambridge S30's listed above....
These are also super speakers. I've owned the Paragons and they are very musical and would match a Cambridge amp better than the Denon.

My 2¢

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis