Home Theater Recommendation

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the additional options.

I called into Ascend and they are telling me that if I can't afford the 340's, I should get the 170's over the 200's for my fronts. She was pretty adamant that this was the way to go.

What do you make of this?
I agree - I've heard all three and owned the 340s for a while. The 170 are too small for that room and the 200s are even less capable.

BTW if you change your mind on towers this gives you left, right, and center for $375 plus shipping. That gives you enough money for the surrounds and maybe a larger sub or a more powerful receiver.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/deals-deals-deals/81887-2x-infinity-p363-towers-pc351-center-$375-shipping-ymmv.html#post911689

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Ok thanks for the honesty. So if I shouldn't go ascend 200 or 170 and I can't do towers and I can't afford the ascend 340, what can I do? I realize it may not be ideal but given the parameters what is my best option?

I know I won't be getting the perfect sounding setup for my space but there must be something that will be ok.

This is all so confusing to me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ok thanks for the honesty. So if I shouldn't go ascend 200 or 170 and I can't do towers and I can't afford the ascend 340, what can I do? I realize it may not be ideal but given the parameters what is my best option?

I know I won't be getting the perfect sounding setup for my space but there must be something that will be ok.

The best thing is to buy something for an in-home trial period.
Forget about what everyone promises, or quarantees about the
best speaker for you - test something out.

This would be an option to test - they are really nice for the price.
HTD Level Three bookshelf and center
HTD Level THREE Speakers

Get a pair of Level Two for surrounds.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

If really tight on budget, then get a pair of NXG Pro 4.1 for temporary
surround duty.
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0044UHVOK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349388985&sr=8-3&keywords=nxg+speakers

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Do i just do something you mentioned early on? Hybrid 2 3.1. Then add some small/ cheap satellites for the rear? I believe I am left with $200 for the rears. Again I know it's not perfect, and maybe this isn't the right compromise setup, but what about something like this? Or something like it?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do i just do something you mentioned early on? Hybrid 2 3.1. Then add some small/ cheap satellites for the rear? I believe I am left with $200 for the rears. Again I know it's not perfect, and maybe this isn't the right compromise setup, but what about something like this? Or something like it?
I believe that you have been given some decent reccomendations.
Compromise tends to be the name of the game >> buy a pair of
speakers from 2 places that interest you the most - keep the pair
that you prefer, and then finish your system. I already answered
you about surrounds above. Sometimes you just need to go for it.

H

holt7153

Audiophyte
I agree - I've heard all three and owned the 340s for a while. The 170 are too small for that room and the 200s are even less capable.

BTW if you change your mind on towers this gives you left, right, and center for $375 plus shipping. That gives you enough money for the surrounds and maybe a larger sub or a more powerful receiver.

+1

I definitely think the 340s and/or Infinity Primus are the better choice and that the 170/200s are better for surrounds. I would also not worry about buying used 340s, but that's just me.

Did you bail on AVS? Haven't seen you around in a while.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
3.1 is a good way to start > you can always save for
the surrounds, Focal is a solid deal for $399 a pair.

Now interesting - Focal at AC4L
Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
Oh, man. If I had known that, I would have waited for them to carry the other Focal models and save some money. Bummer.

It would be cool if they start carrying Dynaudio, Revel, & B&W too. :D

I consider Focal, KEF, and the other brands above high-end. Being able to incorporate them into a home theater system is very cool.

The OP should consider this route. Maybe get the 4 Focal bookshelf speakers for $800. Add sub for $400-$500. Use one of the Focal bookshelf as center for now. Then add a Focal Center later with more funds. Then have a high-end system.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I know Deena at acend told you the 200s will be too small {when I called for 340's she tried to talk me into towers for $1500 more lol}, but here is where I am coming from...

You need...
an innexpensive
bookshelf speaker
no rear porting
smallish size
that dont mind being fired straight forward and are not too position sensitive

To me the 200 fits all of these, the only problem is that your room is large... But heres the thing, I dont know how many guys in here tried the 200's but I own 3 pairs {well 2 just sold one} and they are very capable, sure would larger speakers sound better, yes.. but they dont fit every other aspect you need... The 200s will get the job done, will you have rock concerts in your living room no, will hey easily get you to 90+db yes... And the only thing that the 200s lack compared to the 170s is the bass, where you are going to have a sub...
They have a 30 day trial period if you dont like them return them just buy your front 3 or 1 pair...

Sometimes you have to make comprimises, I understand why you dont want towers, and I cant blame you my kids are 11 and 13 now so I dont have to worry about them running behind my speakers pulling the wire and getting a 60lb speaker on their head.

Try them out, I cant see any other option and I think you will be impressed...

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, man. If I had known that, I would have waited for them to carry the other Focal models and save some money. Bummer.

The OP should consider this route. Maybe get the 4 Focal bookshelf speakers for $800. Add sub for $400-$500. Use one of the Focal bookshelf as center for now. Then add a Focal Center later with more funds. Then have a high-end system.
They are not weak, and they sound good - and the tweeter
is really nice - they will get loud enough for most people.

A good option for the restrictions, that the OP has.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
They are not weak, and they sound good - and the tweeter
is really nice - they will get loud enough for most people.

A good option for the restrictions, that the OP has.
I dont see the speakers you are talking about, I see a center and a pair of towers

If the op could find some used kef iq3's they may be in his price range

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Infinity P163 are on sale for $85ea right now and are decent budget bookshelves. You could either go with three or match them with a PC251 or PC351 center. The P163 are front ported and have pretty decent output. No they aren't in the same league as the the Ascend 340s but they don't suck. Could you recess the towers into the bookcase? The P363 are front ported.

Infinity P163BK

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall

What is your budget for the front three speakers? $648 delivered is beyond your budget? Or is it the fact that they are eight months old and have been boxed up for the last two months and have over four years of factory warranty left and I will give you the same option as Ascend does, free thirty day in home trial. The 340's are showroom condition with about seventy five hours of use if that, they were concieved from the excellent performance of the 170, they can fill a bigger room and dig deeper than the 170, both use the same proprietary 6.5" drivers and 27mm soft dome tweeter. I think you're hesitence is that they are used. You can buy the B-Stock 340's from Ascend for $801 delivered if you must have new. I could have said my 340's were new unopened box and you would never have known that they were used, even the styroform packing material is intact and not blemished. I am sorry for trying you to convince you that I am practically giving you a free speaker with my asking price of $648 delivered with in home trial. I promise not to respond again in this thread unless asked to. Thank you for listening, you have been given some excellent recommendations here but you say it's all confusing, you have heard actual Ascend owner's comments of the quality of the 340's, our intent surely is not to confuse but to inform you from actual listening experience of not only Ascends but others as well, good luck in whatever you decide.
Cheers Jeff

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone yet again. Great advice all around. Jeff - when I say I am confused, it's be of my ignorance on all of this and not knowing exactly which way to go, not bc of the great advice.

If I buy your speakers and the hsu sub, I am already just over budget. And i don't have the rear speakers. I would honestly love to go this route but need to stay on budget.

I do appreciate your offer and really wish I could make it all work.

I am going to check out the focal and maybe compare against the 200 ascends.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Sub Woofer Question

Ok, so based on all the recommendations from you all, I have decided on the Ascend 200's for my front's and surrounds. I will use the Ascend 340 for my center channel. This puts me at $864 shipped, without the sub.

I understand that most of you are recommending $600+ subs for my room, specifically the HSU VTF-2 MK4, but this will blow away my $1,200 budget.

I am looking for a good sub that will fill my room, but I don't need or want something that will shake the house or knock pictures off the walls.

So I have about $400 (shipped price) to spend on a sub that will meet those needs in my room (23X20 with 8 foot ceilings).

I saw a sale at newegg for the Klipsch Reference RW-12d. It can be bought today for $300 (shipped). Newegg.com - Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer Each w/ New box

I also am able to buy the Polk DSW PRO 550WI on Amazon for $386 shipped.

Lastly, I can buy the HSU STF-2 for $362, shipped.

2 Questions: 1) what is the best option for my system and room size from those 3 choices. 2) Is there something better suited for me in $400 or less price range?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Last edited:
J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I think you would be best to keep the front soundstage the same and go with all 200's up front. Put the extra $ into the sub.

If you can get the HSU VTF-2 MK4 for $362 then I'd go with that as msrp is $549 and it will give you more than either the Klipsch or the Polk.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Sorry, I meant the HSU STF-2. Edited my post while you were posting the reply.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Sorry, I meant the HSU STF-2. Edited my post while you were posting the reply.
If you take the savings from the 200 center and add it to your $400 budget for the sub it brings you right around $549 where the HSU VTF2 MK4, Outlaw LFM1 Plus, and Rhythmik FV12 sit. I would wait and check for b-stock or sales and grab one of those when it fits your budget. Given your room size I think you will benefit from the larger sub.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Subwoofer

Thanks, that seems like a good option. If you had to pick a sub for less than $400, which would you choose? Not sure I want to spend the $600+ on one.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Outlaw is currently out of b-stock lfm-1+, but it's $499 shipped. I think it would be worth waiting for.

If not I'd go with the HSU. I'm not sure if it's a better sub than the Klipsch. However, if you end up wanting more sub down the line the stf-2 should still be available so you can add a 2nd.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis