Home Theater Recommendation

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Sorry, I wasn't clear that you were selling the 340's. Can you give me the details or a link to it? Thanks!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you can go listen to the Pioneers at Best Buy or The Infinities at fry's and see which one you like better. I bought the Infinities and didn't like them and sold them. Some board members here like them. I just thought something was missing for me. If I were in the market I'd get those new Pioneers. I'm sure the prices are gonna go up higher + you'll have enough to get good sub. Make sure you take a couple of CD's with you when you go listen.
SVS make some good subs as well here is a good one:
PB12-NSD - SVS
The pioneer bookshelves are rear ported. The infinities are front ported.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Ascend

So it seems like everyone really likes the Ascends. My follow up question is, given my room size and budget should I go with the 200's or 170's for the front and centers? I don't think I am going to be able to swing it on new 340's.

Based on the answer above, do you still recommend the HSU sub for me?

How about the rear speakers? Do I need to match the fronts and center or should I try and save some money with those?

My last option is the used 340's, always makes me a bit nervous to buy used though.

Thanks!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
So it seems like everyone really likes the Ascends. My follow up question is, given my room size and budget should I go with the 200's or 170's for the front and centers? I don't think I am going to be able to swing it on new 340's.

Based on the answer above, do you still recommend the HSU sub for me?

How about the rear speakers? Do I need to match the fronts and center or should I try and save some money with those?

My last option is the used 340's, always makes me a bit nervous to buy used though.

Thanks!
DOnt be nervous about used, you have a longer warranty left on them than a new car comes with...

But anyway, I would go with the 200's if you are going new, they are small, and dont need a ton of power to make a good amount of sound... I have ran mine all by them selves and they make big sound for a small speaker {not really that small either though, they are not like bose cubes or anything, still a 11lb speaker....

They are sealed and in my experience the easiest to place, they really don't care where you put them, I notice moving my 340's and 170's a little makes a huge difference in sound, usually degrading... I know they say the 200's are for small rooms, but they want to sell the larger speakers. Obviously the 340s will sound better, but they are rear ported and they are large...

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
ok, great. I am feeling much better now.

So if I go new, I should go with the 200's in the front and center. Based on that and my Onkyo 515 what do you suggest on the Sub? Rears?

Not likely that I will go the used route, but wanted to know what you would do. New 200's or used 340's?

Thanks again for all the time you all are putting into this.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
ok, great. I am feeling much better now.

So if I go new, I should go with the 200's in the front and center. Based on that and my Onkyo 515 what do you suggest on the Sub? Rears?

Not likely that I will go the used route, but wanted to know what you would do. New 200's or used 340's?

Thanks again for all the time you all are putting into this.
Hey dj, my 340's are like new, I could have just boxed them up and sold as new, they have been in a pet and smoke free home without children, they were used less than 6 months and have about 75 hours of use on them. Also 50 months of Ascend full factory warranty left. I will give you a two week in home trial guarantee, if you are not satisfied, I will refund the purchase price. I'm asking $600 + shipping for all three plus guarantee. What is your zip and I can give you an exact shipping quote. Total shipping weight is 85 lbs in original packaging, I will also include custom made 10 AWG jumpers with heat shrink tubing and of course the original gold plated jumpers that came with the speakers. You can buy new for $918 or from me ($600) + shipping (actual cost). If you are interested post your zip and I will give you a shipping quote. One other thing, they have mounting brackets on the back so that means you can also wall mount these with a little as three inches of clearance as long as they are crossed over at about 80 Hz, your cabinet or entertainment center should not be a problem. I think with your room you need the extra output the 340's can provide. I am not trying to push you into buying my speakers, I just want you to know that you are not buying from a a second or third owner, I am the original owner and purchased these new (not B-Stock) and I have been around this forum for awhile and offer you a satisfaction quarantee) Buy with confidence. ;)
Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

My zip is 02066. Where are you shipping from?
Hello,
I am shipping from 15001 PA. Shipping to your door is $48 for two original boxes, one has the two 340's and the other has the 340 CC, total shipping weight is 84 pounds. I paid $918 delivered. You pay $648 delivered, I think this is a good deal and thank you for the interest. I can get these out today or first thing in the AM tomorrow, let me know. :)
Sincerely, Jeff

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I see you are in scituate ma, thats about an hour and a half from here if you want to come and take a listen to my 340's...

I honestly if it was me, would get the used 340's vs the new 200's because the price is about the same.... But I have the room for them and can have them rear ported if you are building these in its something to consider...

The offer stands if you want to come and hear my 340 front stage play, I also have the 200's and 170's....

For your budget and how you want to mount them the 200's make sense, for your room size and just an overall larger speaker with more depth and a wider range the 340's are a better choice... But the only thing you want to keep in mind is your placement it is important with the 340's... A set of 200's properly placed will sound better than a set of 340's too close together, jammed into a cabinet, firing straight forward... The 170's I would stay away from because they dont sound good plugged, I tryed it with my pc system, you can tell its not rite{Im not sure why this is not the same for the 340sec because I have my center plugged and it sounds great}...

As for your sub Im learning that personal preference plays a big part in this, although everyone that hears my vtf2 agrees its a beast... I only know what I heard which is a lot for the amount of time I researched them and HSU's subs are under priced... So there $320 sub will cost you $450-550 to get the same performance out of another companies product... SVS comes in a close second but they dont offer much in lower priced units...

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

I see you are in scituate ma, thats about an hour and a half from here if you want to come and take a listen to my 340's...

I honestly if it was me, would get the used 340's vs the new 200's because the price is about the same.... But I have the room for them and can have them rear ported if you are building these in its something to consider...

The offer stands if you want to come and hear my 340 front stage play, I also have the 200's and 170's....

For your budget and how you want to mount them the 200's make sense, for your room size and just an overall larger speaker with more depth and a wider range the 340's are a better choice... But the only thing you want to keep in mind is your placement it is important with the 340's... A set of 200's properly placed will sound better than a set of 340's too close together, jammed into a cabinet, firing straight forward... The 170's I would stay away from because they dont sound good plugged, I tryed it with my pc system, you can tell its not rite{Im not sure why this is not the same for the 340sec because I have my center plugged and it sounds great}...

As for your sub Im learning that personal preference plays a big part in this, although everyone that hears my vtf2 agrees its a beast... I only know what I heard which is a lot for the amount of time I researched them and HSU's subs are under priced... So there $320 sub will cost you $450-550 to get the same performance out of another companies product... SVS comes in a close second but they dont offer much in lower priced units...
Thanks my friend for offering to do that, I appreciate all your input with the Ascend 340's, I'm going to miss them.:(
Jeff

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks my friend for offering to do that, I appreciate all your input with the Ascend 340's, I'm going to miss them.:(
Jeff
No problem, Once he hears them he will buy them, I auditioned everything up to 3 times the price, and although the ascends cabinet coating inst the best the sound is WAY above their price grade... I dont know why anyone on here recommends anything besides them for under $1200, the 340's will compete with any tower I have seen for under $1500. the closest I heard {that I liked} were the kef q900's and B&W 683's Them two sounded good, but they were larger and 3 times the cost...
PS {After I heard the Kefs, and 683's I think it was the bass they made that made me think they sounded as good as the ascends, but I cross my fronts at 80 so it doesnt really apply, I think crossed at 80 the kefs and 683's would be less likely to impress me...} I also tried f12's, jbl 890's and a few others, and bought the ascends...

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

No problem, Once he hears them he will buy them, I auditioned everything up to 3 times the price, and although the ascends cabinet coating inst the best the sound is WAY above their price grade... I dont know why anyone on here recommends anything besides them for under $1200, the 340's will compete with any tower I have seen for under $1500. the closest I heard {that I liked} were the kef q900's and B&W 683's Them two sounded good, but they were larger and 3 times the cost...
PS {After I heard the Kefs, and 683's I think it was the bass they made that made me think they sounded as good as the ascends, but I cross my fronts at 80 so it doesnt really apply, I think crossed at 80 the kefs and 683's would be less likely to impress me...} I also tried f12's, jbl 890's and a few others, and bought the ascends...
I share your impressions as well, looking at the 340's and hearing them it is very apparent where the money was spent on these speakers. I tried the CC in both vertical and horiz. position and the results are very rewarding in either orientation, you can't say that with most MTM designs. The EXBAC circuitry in the 340 CC Xover really makes the difference. A simple switch on the board can be selected for each application, the switch is set to horizontal placement from factory but can be changed for vertical alignment. That is an unique feature to have. These speakers can play loud and clean with little effort, and an easy load to drive. They really sound much bigger than their size would dictate. I think they are quite attractive and offer floor standing output in a compact enclosure. They are in my opinion very revealing of source material and present a wide and deep front stage. They are hard to part with, but I must let them go, I think my asking price is very generous and would like to see them go to a good home. ;) Thanks again my friend.
Best Regards, Jeff

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
Thank you both for the offers. Jeff, I am going to have to think about this. To be honest with you, I am pretty wary of buying used. Not bc I don't trust you, its just that I don't know if this reduction in price is worth it for me vs. the sure bet of buying new. I know its a big discount (alomost 30%) but I am trying to weigh the merits of buying the 200's new with your offer.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm wondering if you could build some in-wall speakers into the cabinets. I've never tried it so I don't know.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
My Call to Ascend

Thanks for the additional options.

I called into Ascend and they are telling me that if I can't afford the 340's, I should get the 170's over the 200's for my fronts. She was pretty adamant that this was the way to go.

What do you make of this?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis