Home Theater Direct In Walls - Opinions?

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
I'm violating many of my own loudspeaker purchasing rules here by looking to purchase budget (less than $200/pr) in walls, with a high WAF, from an online vendor. Of course, if I play by the rules, someday I can have a dedicated listening room again. Has anyone here used either the HD-W65s or HD-W80s from Home Theater Direct? If so, I'd like to hear about your setup and thoughts on these speakers.

I'm also very open to other suggestions for budget in-walls that, at the least, won't make me cringe everytime I have to hear them.

Thanks,
Sam Smith
Knoxville, TN

A

AVJedi

Audioholic Intern
You might also want to check out Home Tech speakers. They're made by Sonance, with alot of the same technology, but in a cheaper do-it-yourself type niche. They have THX Select certified in-walls, as well as others. Best Buy carries them, as well as other online retailers. Could be what you're looking for?

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't able to get in touch with kkrambo, although our living rooms are painted the same color. I'm going to give the HD-W80s a shot. Customer service seems to be pretty good as HTD was quick to respond to my request for enclosure volume. Once I get them installed I'll report back with my impressions.

Thanks again,
Sam Smith
Knoxville, TN

K

kgturner

Audioholic Intern
i own a pair of the hd-w80 in-wall speakers. they are really good for the price in my opinion. i use mine mainly for left-right (phantom center) movie duty and to randomly play mp3 during parties and get-togethers. they are not audiophile quality by any stretch of the definition, but they are decent performers and a pretty good value in my opinion. i seriously doubt you will be disappointed with them unless you have an ultra large room and you are trying to run them full range.

kevin t

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I'm planning on using them pretty much for the same thing. Just curious; did you install them straight into the wall or in an enclosure? How much power are you using to drive them?

Thanks,
Sam

annunaki

annunaki

I am not sure what "budget" means to every individual, but some of the best "budget" inwalls I have found are from NXG and Emphasys. PM me for more details. I have worked with both.

Niles, Atlantic Technology, B & W, Sonance and Speakercraft all do really well with inwalls.

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
Went with a YSP-800 instead...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. After I carefull consideration, I went with a Yamaha YSP-800. The WAF on this device is unbelievable. I had to work a bit to get it to mount flush under a 32" LCD, but now not a power cord or cable can be seen by the wife. I should add that I picked mine up for about $500; compared to spending around $300 for low end C/L/R speakers alone, it just seemed to make sense. I'll be happy to share my impressions in a new thread if anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

Sam

Last edited:
X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
wave audio speakers are a line worth looking into. I haven't heard them, but they have an interesting pedigree.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis