Home Theater Ceiling Speaker Recommendations

M

MrO

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I just moved into a new home with wired speaker ports in the ceiling (5 capped holes). I'd like to take advantage of these pre-wired pockets. I was looking at the Klipsch Jamo 360 S 25 HCS 5.0 Home Cinema System but... I think these speakers were meant for head level wall mounting or tabletop mounting, and the 5 pockets that I want to mount them in are in the ceiling... Any recommendations for the type of speakers that I should use for the best audio imaging? Any receiver recommendations? 5.1 surround is fine... Also, I take it that the 5th ceiling pocket is for the center channel - - - I thought center channel speakers rested near the bottom of the TV?

Thx!
Mark

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
MrO,

Welcome to the forum,
The Jamo speakers you referenced are NOT designed to be mounted in the holes in the ceiling (I believe you referred to them as "pre-wired pockets").
- You could mount the Jamo's on the ceiling surface hanging down, but with the pockets already cut into the ceiling, I would recommend you consider in-ceiling speakers instead, with one big caveat:

You will get a better front sound stage (LCR) from conventional bookshelf or tower speakers vice in-ceiling speakers. The pre-wired pockets may be, depending on placement in the room, suitable for Atmos, surround or rear surround duty.
- A room diagram with distances, screen and seating locations, and speaker locations would be very helpful to the forum members to provide better informed suggestions. A picture of one "pocket" would also be helpful.

Good HT or critical listening sound is difficult to obtain with in-ceiling speakers in many cases, especially if speaker locations were not made by a HT savvy designer (i.e. your typical home builder).

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
+1, ceiling speakers are just terrible for anything except for surrounds or maybe a PA system in an elementary school.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis