Home Computer Audio

C

C.W.

Audiophyte
Gooday Everyone!

So I am very fresh into this, and was looking for some good advice for a rather basic setup to use with my home computer.

The plan is to have a setup in my bedroom with a speaker tower or bookshelf on either side of the bed, and hopefully as few wires as possible connecting to my laptop(MacBook Pro) which I typically use on the bed or over on a desk not far from it.

I was looking at doing this mostly used, with likely the only piece of new equipment being the DAC(unless I can find one used as well) Looking to put down roughly 1000-1250 on this setup as it is mostly my first jump into this. So I wanna learn with something on the cheaper end before I build something more advanced.

The thought was to pick up a pair of used B&W DM303, and possibly a Arcam rDAC, however beyond that I haven't really figured much out. If you could offer me some advice as far as better options, good places to do some research or even a breakdown of a setup that would work within my price range, It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not familiar with the speakers you are considering, but why not just just consider too some powered remote speakers?

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
There are lots of ways you could do this. I'll describe my bedroom set up because I think it sounds really good and like you I had to do something with as few wires as possible. I use a squeezebox touch and a pair of audioengine A-5s (I haven't priced these recently but the pair will fall well under your $1k budget). The Touch works great streaming music and you have a remote. The new A-5s also have a remote. They sound good and the price is reasonable. Some folks argue that there are better powered speakers out there; there may be but I like mine.

The SB Touch, however, is the simplest way to stream music wirelessly. Another option if you like the the Apple Airport Express which has an analog/optical out. It sounds better feeding to a dac than it does using the analog output. Or you could get an AV receiver that does airplay and use it to drive a pair of passive speakers. Marantz and Denon both make stereo CD receivers that you can use to play your ipod, stream music via airplay, and drive your speakers (but they are modestly powered).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis