HK AVR630 vs Yamaha 5790 and 1500...

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone, a newbie here. I’ve been watching this board for a while and have found a lot of great and helpful posts. Well, now I guess it’s time for me to actually post a question and hope I can get some good advice or opinions. I’ve been checking out what’s available for receivers for some time now, and as usually happens when you look too much you end up buying something that wasn’t planned. I found a Harman Kardon 630 at a local big box store for $600, it was an open box. They had 2 actually, one was being used in a demo room, and another just sitting on a shelf not even hooked up. They had no new ones, so I assume they are getting ready for the new model. I picked the one on the shelf not connected even though it had a couple of minor dings. I figured since it’s already open, I might as well as buy it and demo it at home for a few weeks to see if I can tell a difference.

My current system is a Pioneer 509 receiver (4 years old or so), Cambridge Tower IIs for the mains, Centerstage, Surround 5.1’s, and a Yamaha SW305 sub. So far with the HK 630 I notice the biggest difference while listening to music in stereo. The HK definitely brings out more bass in the towers, even enough to the point where the sub isn’t a necessity. The only problem have I had with the Pioneer is that it has been overloading on me when listening to music for an extended period around -30db or higher. It has not had any problems with dvds. The HK sounds great when listening to DVD’s, I can’t really tell where the difference is specifically other than the bigger grin on my face while listening to it. I realize that for the price I got it, the 630 is a great deal, but I’m still not sure if I will keep it. I am planning on trying to find an opened box Yamaha HTR-5790 and/or Yamaha RXV-1500 to demo as well at home. I realize the HK is lacking in a few features, such as the component up conversion, the component connections are of a lower quality to my understanding, no THX certification, fewer optical connections, and a few other minor features. I am also looking to stay in the $600 range.

So here is where I am looking for feedback:
What kind of differences can I expect from the 1500 or 5790 vs the HK? I figure I can get them for around the same price, but am I crazy for thinking they will compare to the HK on quality and sound? I haven’t decided yet if the missing features I mentioned are of importance, however, even though they may not be important now I would like to be prepared for the future when the new receiver actually goes into the basement to a dedicated theater room (and still be used for music).

Also, a couple of other quick questions- so far with the HK I find myself listening to music in the -30 to -25db range and movies to -25 to -20db range. Does this sound about right for this receiver? I thought I’d have a little more head room on the volume, although it is loud enough that I wouldn’t actually turn it up anymore.

And the receiver is currently in an enclosed cabinet with an open back. It has a few inches all the way around, but I did notice it felt very warm. Will the Yamahas run any cooler, or do I need to find a 3 inch fan of some sort for more air circulation?

Thanks to anyone still reading this, and special thanks to anyone who has and opinions and thoughts to post.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I've always considered HK to have an edge in terms of sound quality over other consumer grade electronics, other than NAD or Rotel. And their conservative power ratings speak well of the manufacturer's marketing priorities and prudence. Further, there's rarely an HK that's THX certified. I guess that's becuase their emphasis has always been on audio. Not HT. THX has never really enjoyed any following among audiophiles. Just another marketing hype for them Most of HK's entry to mid-priced HT receivers just have basic HT features.

But if you like more DSP processing and other bells and whistles, Yamaha is it. They arguably have the most fun-featured HT receivers in the market in competition with Denons and Pioneers.

HKs can handle 4-ohm loads without the need for current limiting impedance switches that most Yamaha receivers have. So they do get hot to the touch when using 4-ohm speakers or during extended listening at high volumes. But that's no different from other receiver brands. I don't think Yamaha is any cooler in operation. One net reviewer uses the top of his Z9 as a food reheater. :D They make excellent heaters on cold mornings. As do many other receiver brands. Just train a fan over them.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.

But now I am wondering, has anyone demoed or compared the 630 to the 430? The 635 will probably be out of my price range, so I am wondering if there is a noticeable drop-off going from the 75w 630 to the 65w 435?

The extra features might be nice, but only if I'm not going to notice a significant drop in power. The place I got the 630 from no longer has one on the shelf to demo against the 430.
Thanks again.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
armaraas said:
Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.

But now I am wondering, has anyone demoed or compared the 630 to the 430? The 635 will probably be out of my price range, so I am wondering if there is a noticeable drop-off going from the 75w 630 to the 65w 435?

The extra features might be nice, but only if I'm not going to notice a significant drop in power. The place I got the 630 from no longer has one on the shelf to demo against the 430.
Thanks again.
I doubt you will notice much of a difference in sould quality or levels. From the levels you mention below you are not driving the unit too hard. The newer features will be the biggest difference between the 630 and 435. Unless the newer features are something you really need I'd stick with the 630 if you are happy with it.

I

ikarit

Audiophyte
i have the same doubt... :confused:

power with the avr 630 (and not only watts but more current too + or - 50Amps)

or new features with the 435 like prologicIIx and new dsp processor (by texas instruments) but less current (+ or - 40Amps)

im surpassing my budget limit but i want to be sure about buying a good receiver (its about time to my yam rxv 620 be retired) :D

sorry for the english im still learning.. :D

cya

ikarit

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
ikarit said:
i have the same doubt... :confused:

power with the avr 630 (and not only watts but more current too + or - 50Amps)

or new features with the 435 like prologicIIx and new dsp processor (by texas instruments) but less current (+ or - 40Amps)

im surpassing my budget limit but i want to be sure about buying a good receiver (its about time to my yam rxv 620 be retired) :D

sorry for the english im still learning.. :D

cya

ikarit
Prologic IIx is excelent for old rock concerts. I've listened to the Delicate sound of thunder album in this mode and i liked it very much.

A current of 40 amps is still a lot. As an example, if you get shocked by this amount of current, you will be dead, so, never open the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis