HK AVR354 Issue - No display

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
The issue I've been having has been for some time now. Unfortunately after relocating a few times, I don't even have the receipt anymore for the receiver.

I can't get any Video Outs to work - ANY.

...and awesomely... with no video out... you have no AVR menu to adjust audio settings. ... I think she's kaput.

My questions are if anyone's encountered this or heard of it being a known issue?

Does video processing typically rely on an independent fuse in receivers?

If not a fuse replacement, when this occurs to most receivers, what is the cause and are you generally 'done for' when outside of warranty?

Really hope to hear from you guys. Money is tight and if I'd really like to repair rather than replace - so I can save for a better replacement when the time comes.

With lots of respect,

Faust

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
Wow, 142 views, nobody? ...pretty brutal community.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw this, but probably like the other folks who saw it earlier, I have no suggestions. I'm just writing so that we seem less "brutal." :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... with no video out... you have no AVR menu to adjust audio settings. ...
I know that on the older 30 and 35 series you could adjust the channel settings using just the remote and the rec'r's front panel display. Hopefully they didn't do away with that in subsequent models like yours.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
When all else fails..
Try a Processor Reset...

Just my $0.02... ;)

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I went with a processor reset for sure... as well as a reset of all default settings I believe. Hard to tell given the limited info the AVR's display shows. Luckily... default settings keep an optical-in on one of the sources... really murders me for balancing the audio for the room without menus.

Thanks Adam for opening it up :)

Don't suppose we have resident techs here familiar with HK hardware architecture eh?

...going to be fun explaining to the woman why I need to drop 1.4k on a new box lol. There's a thread needs making... "How to convince your spouse you need a new AVR".

Thanks guys. Hope to hear back.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yeah, I went with a processor reset for sure... as well as a reset of all default settings I believe. Hard to tell given the limited info the AVR's display shows. Luckily... default settings keep an optical-in on one of the sources... really murders me for balancing the audio for the room without menus.

Thanks Adam for opening it up :)

Don't suppose we have resident techs here familiar with HK hardware architecture eh?

...going to be fun explaining to the woman why I need to drop 1.4k on a new box lol. There's a thread needs making... "How to convince your spouse you need a new AVR".

Thanks guys. Hope to hear back.

HK AVRs use a slip-in ribbon connector for connecting various circuit boards. Once the cover is open and the AC line is unplugged..
You mite want to check these for each board as they can slip out over time..
They simply slide in...

Just my $0.02.. ;)

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I'm guessing you have tried this (from page 35 of the manual):
"Make sure that you have connected a video display to one of the video
monitor outputs on the receiver. When you turn on your display and the
AVR, if the display is connected to the AVR via an analog video (composite,
S-video or component) connection, you may see a plain black
screen. If that happens, press the front-panel Resolution Button, and the
current video output resolution will appear in the Message Display. Use
the ⁄Button to change it to 480i, which should be compatible with all
video displays, then press the OK Button to select the new setting. You
will be prompted to accept or cancel the change; the CANCEL message
will appear on the front panel. Press the ¤Button to view the ACCEPT
option, and then press the OK Button to complete the change to the output
resolution. The Main Menu should appear when you press the AVR
Settings Button on the remote, or the AVR Button on the front panel."

This should reset all of the video stuff - as should a processor reset I suppose. Anyway you should try to connect via an analog signal and just pass it through which this reset scenario assures. Best of luck!

A

Ac3d

Audiophyte
HK AVR354 Issue - No display - Probably your fuse

Hey man, don't know if your still interested......I have the same issue. AVR354 video processor quit, and no longer outputs any video. If I switch to AM/FM it works fine and gives me audio. My TV's HDMI works fine with all sources in the HDMI1 and 2 ports. The tv won't pick up any HDMI signal, or composite, from the receiver. I was playing CS through my HTPC when it just quit out of the blue. It's had issues for a long time, where I have to switch between inputs, or power cycle the device to get it to pick up inputs. I've never had an issue with the device output going out altogether though. (I know this because I can access the on screen AVR menu).

I'm a tech, so I didn't have an issue digging into it. After I tried the basic troubleshooting, factory reset, discharged the unit, etc, I pulled the case cover and the video processor is literally the very top board. I removed it. It wasn't burnt. No visable signs of damage, but it's impossible to see if a chip is burnt. I didn't (or don't) think that was the issue. I then found this nifty little service bulletin which says the HDMI will go out if this faulty POS fuse blows.......

Add a "w" to this URL.
ww.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/ServiceBulletin/AVR254,%20AVR354,%20AVR255,%20AVR355-hk2008-03rev1.pdf[/url]

I'm going to put my money on it being the fuse/jumper in both yours and mine. I'll let you know if this fix works.... Looks like I"m busting out the soldering iron boys. The PDF says, "Note: RoHS-rated* soldering equipment will be required." LOL I'm sure you need an RoHS-rated soldering iron or this fix won't work said nobody to no one ever...rofl

Side note, if you have Comcast cable, you have to modify the video output of your Comcast cable box to get this receiver to pick it up. Comcast tech support didn't know how to get into that menu and I had to find the option online. Royal pain in the comcrapper. I went through 3 cable boxes before I found one that played nice with the AVR354.

I know this isn't a review, but after all the issues I've had with this, it'll be my last Harman Kardon product. 2 HK receivers, and 1 set of HK speakers later...and I've now learned my lesson.

A

Ac3d

Audiophyte
I de-soldered and replaced the two 2.5 amp fuses with two 3.15 amp fuses that I was able to order from India... (cough) I mean Harman/Kardon (about 7-8 bucks with shipping). I then soldered the jumper cable in place. It worked like a charm. It fired right up. One word of advise.... Per the directions, do not remove the transformer assembly. I didn't listen, and it was a ***** to put back in, and I work on stuff like this often. The two fuses can be de-soldered from the side without removing that assembly. I'm irritated I had to deal with this, but I will give Harman/Kardon kudos for not hiding the fix from public view like some manufacturers.

I have pictures and a small vid. If I get more energetic I'll upload them.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Nice job.
I'm a terrible solderer, and my years of ironworking have left my hands less than ready for fine work. I'm jealous. Of course we want vids and pics!

M

mola ram

Audiophyte
Had to register here just to comment. I've had the same problem. First time I took it in to a repair shop and all they did was replace the fuses and add the jumper wire to the tune of about $100. It happened again and I replaced the two fuses myself for about $5. Now it's been less than a month and the same problem is happening again. I really don't want to have to keep replacing the fuses and reloading the firmware and setting everything back up again every few weeks. Needless to say, Harman Kardon is getting an angry email from me. Hopefully your problems don't become recurrent.

M

masso

Audiophyte
Trying to fix my AVR247 and your link leads to manual, yes I used the extra w . Need to find solution where the fuses are.

M

masso

Audiophyte
Same problem here with H/K . Can you tell me where these fuses are? Just location and how do they look like, why would they solder the fuses? Thanks.

rynoesco

rynoesco

Audiophyte
I'm having this same issue with my HK 354. Are you able to upload your photos and video so I can see if this worth fixing. Thanks!

D

David Lynn Myford

Audiophyte
Thanks for this forum. Same problem just happened to me. Wish I had some photos for this process, too.

D

David Lynn Myford

Audiophyte
I de-soldered and replaced the two 2.5 amp fuses with two 3.15 amp fuses that I was able to order from India... (cough) I mean Harman/Kardon (about 7-8 bucks with shipping). I then soldered the jumper cable in place. It worked like a charm. It fired right up. One word of advise.... Per the directions, do not remove the transformer assembly. I didn't listen, and it was a ***** to put back in, and I work on stuff like this often. The two fuses can be de-soldered from the side without removing that assembly. I'm irritated I had to deal with this, but I will give Harman/Kardon kudos for not hiding the fix from public view like some manufacturers.

I have pictures and a small vid. If I get more energetic I'll upload them.

D

David Lynn Myford

Audiophyte
would love to see a this video. Just had the same issue with my 254.

J

jfmartel

Audiophyte
Same here. I have an AVR 354 and I was hoping Ac3d would have posted pics and vid, but 4 years down the road, I doubt it will happen. Which is really unfortunate. I am next to completely ignorant when it comes to A/V equipment, and I've never held a soldering iron in my hands. Maybe I was a bit overconfident in thinking his pics would have been enough to do this myself??? Anyway, looks like I'll try calling the H/K help line, and then pay the big bucks to get it repaired professionally.
As future reference...which brand/model would you recommend for overall reliability/bang for your bucks/performance with a price ceiling around 750$?
Thanks in advance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis