HK AVR 135 Question

O

OldStyler

Audiophyte
Hey, I recently purchased a HK AVR 135 Receiver, and I hooked it up to some lousy speakers just to test it out before the speakers i ordered arrived. Now I have my new speakers, BIC America DV-62s, and they have been hooked up with good wiring and all. Now I have just my mp3 player hooked up to the receiver just to listen to some music around my house as i work on it. But whenever I try to turn the receiver up it shuts off and says "protect" on the display. Now I imagine this is the receiver simply protecting my speakers, but it's cutting out at really low levels. at like -35dB. I don't have my sub yet, but these speakers should have no problem going louder at all. In fact they did on the first two days i had the receiver. If anyone knows how to mend this inconvenience it would be most appreciated, thanks.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I have an HK AVR235 (very similar) and my manual doesn't say anything about 'protect' but in the troubleshooting guide it does list a similar symptom in which no sound from any speaker occurs and the light around power switch is red.

Does this apply? If so, the manual suggests checking your speaker wire connections for shorts at either the speaker and/or receiver end(s) which can cause the amplifier section to into protection mode.

Whatever you do, do it methodically and document your steps performed while troubleshooting and don't attempt more than 1 change at a time to isolate the problem.

If your unit is in an enclosed cabinet, do you have proper ventilation? These units generate alot of heat.

Make sure you have good lighting (flashlight?) when checking for shorts, stray strands of wire are very hard to seen unless extremely close to the connections.

Remove your MP3 player connection and use another source (FM tuner?) to eliminate as a problem during your troubleshooting steps.

It may be possible you have a bad speaker but I'm not sure on this, try using your old speakers (before the Bics) to see if the problem reoccurs.

Good luck.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with HOS,

Does the unit go into protection mode at the same volume setting without any speaker wires hooked up? If not, make sure your splices are short and not touching where the speaker wires terminate at the receiver and speakers. Inexpensive banana plugs would be added insurance this doesn't happen in the future.

You have some sort of short going on, and it's only happening with increased current. After trying different speakers, also try running different speaker wire. If all else fails, call your local retailer or HK's 800# and ask them to exchange it. It could be internal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis