HK 3490 or Marantz SR-7008 or Marantz 2240 for 2 ch?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
So, I'm moving into a new house and for the first time will have a dedicated room for my office/music/listening room. The main room doesn't have room for my old HT system, so the AVR won't be in use there anymore. So, I'm trying to decide which of my receivers to use for the 2.1 ch setup. I have the three receivers mentioned in the subject line. I just purchased a new Arcam CDS50 for my source. I also have a Rega RP1 TT. In addition, I have several options for speakers, but that's for a different thread.

Back to my question, which receiver would you suggest I use for a 2.1 channel setup in a small (12x12) room considering DA will be taken care of by the Arcam?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thread is sufficient around here. I answered in your other one....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I was the original product development engineer for the 3490...
If U can find 1 in good working condition buy it!!! I remember when we proposed this product to Harman executive management they did approve it but totally underestimated its sales projection.. It was a very major seller.. :)

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If U can find 1 in good working condition buy it!!! I remember when we proposed this product to Harman executive management they did approve it but totally underestimated its sales projection.. It was a very major seller.. :)

Just my $0.02... ;)
I think he has all three....just trying to decide what to keep, if any, among the three. Yours has bass management?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I think he has all three....just trying to decide what to keep, if any, among the three. Yours has bass management?
The 3490 has no bass management capability. It does have digital inputs; 1 coax, 1 optical and can decode a stereo PCM stream...

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Just my $0.02... ;)
Did you have something to do with the very similar 3390 too? I compared the service manuals and found the 3390 almost the same as the 3490, seemed the only difference is the 3490 has 15,000 uf storage cap vs the 10,000 uf for the 3390 and the transformer is mostly likely larger too, may be by 20 to 30%. I just got a 3390 and will be trying it out as a power amp only soon, time permitting.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So, I'm moving into a new house and for the first time will have a dedicated room for my office/music/listening room. The main room doesn't have room for my old HT system, so the AVR won't be in use there anymore. So, I'm trying to decide which of my receivers to use for the 2.1 ch setup. I have the three receivers mentioned in the subject line. I just purchased a new Arcam CDS50 for my source. I also have a Rega RP1 TT. In addition, I have several options for speakers, but that's for a different thread.

Back to my question, which receiver would you suggest I use for a 2.1 channel setup in a small (12x12) room considering DA will be taken care of by the Arcam?
Based on available information, if you need the power, the choice would be between the SR7008 and HK3490. In my opinion, for use as a power amp only, the HK3490 is the better one though I doubt it would make an audible difference either way. The 2240 will have much higher distortions and less output power but you may prefer the sound of the harmonic profile it offers so there is no harm trying it out if you can live with the relatively low power output.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Did you have something to do with the very similar 3390 too? I compared the service manuals and found the 3390 almost the same as the 3490, seemed the only difference is the 3490 has 15,000 uf storage cap vs the 10,000 uf for the 3390 and the transformer is mostly likely larger too, may be by 20 to 30%. I just got a 3390 and will be trying it out as a power amp only soon, time permitting.
Yup... Also did the 3390.. :)
I recall the amplifiers of the 3390 and 3490 were the same as the 3390 did well no need to revise. Major feature upgrades of the 3490 were video composite switching, digital inputs and iPod connectivity. As U mentioned maybe the power supply was upgraded, I don't recall in my old age the dementia is taking over.. o_O

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis