High end system to my living room, MOST HELP PLEASE!!!!!

S

SearchofSub

Banned
That looks like a great combo. I heard good things about McIntosch amps. Just order the Phil 3's already :D, if you take a look around, alot of very knowledgeable guys in audio gear has the Phil 3's. That should ring a bell. If I didnt want the "live" sound that I would like to try out like the Tektons, my second choice would be the Phil 3's. And who knows, once I get the Tektons in and I dont like em, I might ship em back for a refund, and my next speaker would definately be the Phil 3's in piano black gloss finish.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If i take the Phil'3 i will drive them by something 200 or 250w from Brystol or McIntosch amps.
Bryston and McIntosh, them are two pretty different amps, I would go with Carver Black magic {sexy in cherry, I just got a pair of black ones} mono blocks over a two channel McIntosh and if you aren't into the name game I would just go Emotiva or Outlaw, Ill bet you will have better reliability and much less money... I have side by sided a lot of amps with emos and no valuable difference was heard... I do like mono blocks but one of my favorite music amps is the xpa2.... Side by side with a McIntosh mc302 and I prefer the xpa2...

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Yeah just get the emotiva. I am getting the UMC-200 preamp and XPA 200 amp combo for the Tektons myself. Emotiva has been compared to many higher priced amps and have won numerous times. With the saved money, get the custom veneer on the Phil 3's and your all set.. And better yet, if you have enough saved over, get a sub.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'm not sure I ever got back to the OP about the issue of whether the Phil 3's were designed for music or HT or both. The answer is both, but with one obvious qualification. That has to do with extreme headroom. If you want to recreate the end of the world or a stampede of prehistoric reptiles at 108 dB, and if that is really really important to you, then there are probably better choices than the Phil 3 (or Salks, or Ascends). If, on the other hand, you just want to enjoy movies and devastation at loud--even very loud--levels, then a speaker that is designed for accurate reproduction of music over a wide bandwidth will do just fine in HT, particularly if a sub(s) is in play. The reverse may not be true. Colorations and other design limitations that may not be a critical issue in movie soundtracks may be very obvious on music. To repeat--accuracy is never a detriment for HT. The only issue is headroom, and even then it's only an issue if you
listen to movies at, uh, very special sound pressure levels.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure I ever got back to the OP about the issue of whether the Phil 3's were designed for music or HT or both. The answer is both, but with one obvious qualification. That has to do with extreme headroom. If you want to recreate the end of the world or a stampede of prehistoric reptiles at 108 dB, and if that is really really important to you, then there are probably better choices than the Phil 3 (or Salks, or Ascends). If, on the other hand, you just want to enjoy movies and devastation at loud--even very loud--levels, then a speaker that is designed for accurate reproduction of music over a wide bandwidth will do just fine in HT, particularly if a sub(s) is in play. The reverse may not be true. Colorations and other design limitations that may not be a critical issue in movie soundtracks may be very obvious on music. To repeat--accuracy is never a detriment for HT. The only issue is headroom, and even then it's only an issue if you
listen to movies at, uh, very special sound pressure levels.
I feel like you say don't play your phil 3 much loudy (if i take them). !!!!

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Dude I dont want to butt in but at even 85db, your neighbor will likely call the cops.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'm saying there are some speakers that will play louder, or as loud with less power input. I'm also saying I would never want to be in the same room with those speakers at those dB levels.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There's a difference between loud and LOUD. The Phil's do loud just fine; I've heard them in a fairly large space at levels where I couldn't have a conversation with the person sitting next to me, and they sounded clean and clear, without any sign of strain. However, then there is LOUD where your ears are ringing after an hour or two of listening. The Phil's aren't well suited for that and I wouldn't really recommend it anyway if you value the health of your ears/hearing long term.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
There's a difference between loud and LOUD. The Phil's do loud just fine; I've heard them in a fairly large space at levels where I couldn't have a conversation with the person sitting next to me, and they sounded clean and clear, without any sign of strain. However, then there is LOUD where your ears are ringing after an hour or two of listening. The Phil's aren't well suited for that and I wouldn't really recommend it anyway if you value the health of your ears/hearing long term.

You sure you couldn't hear the person next to you when u listen the phil'3 at high levels in a LARG SPACE.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You sure you couldn't hear the person next to you when u listen the phil'3 at high levels in a LARG SPACE.
Assuming I didn't have the memory nefariously implanted into my brain by Dennis, yes, I'm sure the Phil 3s can play loud enough to drown out a normal conversation :D

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
Assuming I didn't have the memory nefariously implanted into my brain by Dennis, yes, I'm sure the Phil 3s can play loud enough to drown out a normal conversation :D

You don't feel when you listening to them there is any deficiency in the low frequencies (Bass) and feel you need to add a subwoofer to them when you listening to them in high levels.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
Not at all; I'd be very happy just running them in a simple 2 channel setup.

If i take them i'll add the center then i'll add the bookshelf's.
I think the system will be 5.0 in the future, also maybe i'll add one or two subs for the system.
So the system with progress of age not stay 2.0 system.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If i take them i'll add the center then i'll add the bookshelf's.
I think the system will be 5.0 in the future, also maybe i'll add one or two subs for the system.
Seriously these speakers are better than anything you've probably ever heard. Obviously having a sub is nice, but not always necessary.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
Seriously these speakers are better than anything you've probably ever heard. Obviously having a sub is nice, but not always necessary.
Is there any videos about phil 3 on the internet, i found only one video on youtube, please can anyone tell me where i can found any another video please ?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Is there any videos about phil 3 on the internet, i found only one video on youtube, please can anyone tell me where i can found any another video please ?
Man--I didn't know I had to get into video production to sell these things. Other than the one youtube clip, the only other video is one of me yakking about them at the 2012 Capital Audio Fest. I've never had enough nerve to watch it, and I suggest you exercise similar restraint. You have my word you don't need a sub for music. For video, most people use a sub(s) no matter what they're running for mains.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not really sure what a youtube video is going to tell you, other than maybe getting a better look at the speakers from all angles. Personally, I don't use a sub with my Phil 3's. I find that I prefer the bass from the ML-TL woofer section and find that it provides a more realistic presentation to my ears than when I had tried them with a few different subs.

While they don't give the raw output of my HT system with the subs, I always find myself pleasantly surprised at the levels and presence that can be delivered with an 8" woofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis