High End Speakers for Music $1000-$2000

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I'm new to high-end audio and looking to make my first good speaker purchase. Hoping for some of your thoughts. I'm looking for floorstanders, new, in the $1000-$2000 range. Mainly for listening to music. I will have it connected to my home theatre setup, but 2 channel music is way more important to me. I primarily listen to classical, jazz and standards with an occasional pop/rock cd. The speakers will initially be paired with an Onkyo HT-R640 receiver (although I plan to upgrade this in the future when financially able).

As for what I've heard:
B&W: 683, 684, CM9
psb: Image T6, Synchrony 1
Monitor Audio: Silver RX6

I liked the RX6, the 683 (the CM9 was nice too, but too much for me and not sure that I thought it was worth twice the cost of the 683), and the psb Synchrony (really nice speaker but way out of my price range). So right now it seems to be down to the 683 or the RX6.
So really two questions:
1. Of the speakers I've heard which do you think is the best for music?
2. Any other speakers I should consider? I've read good things about Dali, Focal, KEF, Paradigm, Revel, and Totem.

Obviously I need to listen and decide for myself, but I don't have a trained ear and I'm not exactly sure what to listen for. Just thought some of you might have some input. Thanks in advance!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, of the stated models, the Synchrony 1, but that is WAY more expensive than the other models. :eek:

Check out instead the less expensive Imagine series to bring it back into budget.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard a lots of good things about PSB and their measurements are very good.
I think lower series of B&W might not quite measure up to some ID companies.
IF your are serious about 2k budget you should definitely checkout Jim Salk's SongTowers.

For best value thou - DIY kits would be cheapest way to go to get best possible sound on budget

p.s: Oh and btw: $2k for pair of good towers is not Hi-End :D Mid-Fi at best :)

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
LOL, of the stated models, the Synchrony 1, but that is WAY more expensive than the other models. :eek:

Check out instead the less expensive Imagine series to bring it back into budget.
Yeah, definitely out of my price range and a lot more than the other speakers, so not a fair comparison. Thought about listening to the Imagines, but they are rated at 4 ohms I believe. My receiver manual says it handles speakers in the 6-16 ohm range. Can't afford new speakers in the Imagine price range and a new receiver at the same time unfortunately. I did hear the psb Image T6 and it was nice, but I prefered the RX6 and the 683 to the T6.

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
I heard a lots of good things about PSB and their measurements are very good.
I think lower series of B&W might not quite measure up to some ID companies.
IF your are serious about 2k budget you should definitely checkout Jim Salk's SongTowers.

For best value thou - DIY kits would be cheapest way to go to get best possible sound on budget

p.s: Oh and btw: $2k for pair of good towers is not Hi-End :D Mid-Fi at best :)
Fair enough, Mid-Fi it is. :) Don't think DIY is for me. I have read good things about the Salk SongTowers. Any idea how the sound of the Salk might compare to something like the 683? Leaner, warmer, etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Any idea how the sound of the Salk might compare to something like the 683? Leaner, warmer, etc.
Only way to know this for sure if you personally audition both in DBT :D
Unfortunately neither B&W or Salk offer any sort of trials.

Best way is start visiting local stereo dealers and start listening to different speakers. Paradigm, B&W and MA dealers are pretty common.
I'd also check if you have RBH Sound dealer near you...
Regarding Salk , Ask around this forum - a few people got them and are very happy and maybe would be nice to allow you audition :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Fair enough, Mid-Fi it is. :) Don't think DIY is for me. I have read good things about the Salk SongTowers. Any idea how the sound of the Salk might compare to something like the 683? Leaner, warmer, etc.
Salk Song Towers are awesome but I'm not sure if your receiver will drive 4ohm speakers. If you're curious about the sound then check Salk's site for local customers that are willing to let you demo theirs. If that's not a possibility then stick to standard finishes so that you can use the 30 day home trail. Frankly I can't picture anybody wanting to return Salks. But keep in mind that they do need a subwoofer to help with bass heavy music.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Only way to know this for sure if you personally audition both in DBT :D
Unfortunately neither B&W or Salk offer any sort of trials.
From Salk's FAQ:
Do you offer an in-home trial period?

On lower priced models with a standard finish, we offer a 30-day in-home trial period. You can feel free to return the speakers within 30 days, in new condition, for a refund in the event they do not perform to your satisfaction.

With “custom” finishes and/or more expensive speakers, this is not practical. If we only offered three or four standard finishes, it would not be a problem. But normally customers who order our higher-priced speakers want them finished to their personal taste. So if they were returned, we would have to wait until another customer wanted the exact same finish before we could recoup our costs. Unfortunately, this would not work for us.

However, in a case like this, we would work to find a new home for the speakers and process a refund once the speakers were re-sold. Our speakers normally sell quite quickly on the used market, so it would probably not take all that long.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Salk Song Towers are awesome but I'm not sure if your receiver will drive 4ohm speakers.
His current AVR is rated at 170 W + 170 W (4 Ω, Front) according to manual...
Not sure how long or will it be distortion free that will last...

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
His current AVR is rated at 170 W + 170 W (4 Ω, Front) according to manual...
Not sure how long or will it be distortion free that will last...
I think the 170+170W at 4 ohms is dynamic power. Not sure that I understand the specs correctly, but dynamic power is not something the amp can maintain right? Plus, the manual specifies a speaker impedance of 6-16 ohms.
The Salk SongTowers are rated at 6 ohms nominal with a 4 ohm min. So maybe that might still work... I took a look at the Salk section on the audio circle board and I think there are people in the area who might be willing to let me hear theirs.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think the 170+170W at 4 ohms is dynamic power. Not sure that I understand the specs correctly, but dynamic power is not something the amp can maintain right? Plus, the manual specifies a speaker impedance of 6-16 ohms.
The Salk SongTowers are rated at 6 ohms nominal with a 4 ohm min. So maybe that might still work... I took a look at the Salk section on the audio circle board and I think there are people in the area who might be willing to let me hear theirs.
Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy (the designer) both say that SongTowers can be driven by any receiver or amp that delivers an honest 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms. I've driven mine by amps as low as 35 wpc and as high as 200 wpc. I don't believe your receiver will have any problem with them.

I've not heard the B&W 683, but I have heard the 603 (bookshelf) and CDM7 NT (tower) side by side with the ST, and neither B&W came close to sounding as good as the ST. I'm willing to guess that the 683 also will not be as good.

If you are easy driving distance from Gaithersburg, MD, come listen to mine.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy (the designer) both say that SongTowers can be driven by any receiver or amp that delivers an honest 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms. I've driven mine by amps as low as 35 wpc and as high as 200 wpc. I don't believe your receiver will have any problem with them.

I've not heard the B&W 683, but I have heard the 603 (bookshelf) and CDM7 NT (tower) side by side with the ST, and neither B&W came close to sounding as good as the ST. I'm willing to guess that the 683 also will not be as good.

If you are easy driving distance from Gaithersburg, MD, come listen to mine.
Like you, I really keen on hearing the Salks and the Imagine Ts. Would make for a very interesting session I bet. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From Salk's FAQ:
Do you offer an in-home trial period?

On lower priced models with a standard finish, we offer a 30-day in-home trial period. You can feel free to return the speakers within 30 days, in new condition, for a refund in the event they do not perform to your satisfaction.

With “custom” finishes and/or more expensive speakers, this is not practical. If we only offered three or four standard finishes, it would not be a problem. But normally customers who order our higher-priced speakers want them finished to their personal taste. So if they were returned, we would have to wait until another customer wanted the exact same finish before we could recoup our costs. Unfortunately, this would not work for us.

However, in a case like this, we would work to find a new home for the speakers and process a refund once the speakers were re-sold. Our speakers normally sell quite quickly on the used market, so it would probably not take all that long.
Thanks for posting that. It is good to know that Salk is offering a recourse for people to trial his SongTowers. I didn't realize he was doing this!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You should audition as many speakers, and as many types (ribbons, horns, domes, whatever) as you can stand to audition.

I recommend listening to some Magnepan 1.7 speakers:

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

Your current receiver many not be adequate for them, but since you are planning on upgrading that, it would be foolish to limit your choices to what that receiver can drive. If necessary, wait until you can afford to upgrade the receiver as well.

Most likely, you will want a receiver with preamp outputs, and a separate power amplifier to drive them, if you decide to buy the Magnepan 1.7.

L

lcool9

Enthusiast
I just bought some Imagine T's and I love them. Actually got them yesterday. Of all the speakers in that price range that I listened to I thought they were the best. I listened to Polk RTi 5, B&W 683, Paradigm Monitor 9's.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it most AVR's will run these speakers as they don't require a lot of power. I'm using Onyko 608 which is not the most powerful AVR. Whoever you buy the speakers from should be able to tell you if your AVR will run these speakers and I suspect they will.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just bought some Imagine T's and I love them. Actually got them yesterday. Of all the speakers in that price range that I listened to I thought they were the best. I listened to Polk RTi 5, B&W 683, Paradigm Monitor 9's.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it most AVR's will run these speakers as they don't require a lot of power. I'm using Onyko 608 which is not the most powerful AVR. Whoever you buy the speakers from should be able to tell you if your AVR will run these speakers and I suspect they will.
Congrats. Happy to hear you like them. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Like you, I really keen on hearing the Salks and the Imagine Ts. Would make for a very interesting session I bet. :)
There is a PSB dealer 30 miles from my house that carries the Imagine T. I will have to check them out on my next day off work - probably Feb 22nd.:D

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate it. Wanted to give an update on what I've heard since the last time I posted. Over the weekend I listened to the Paradigm Reference Studio 60, the Rega RS5, B&W 684 and 683 (again), the Dali Ikon 6 mkII. Wanted to hear the Totems, but the dealer didn't have the models I wanted to audition. I also heard a few minutes of the NHT Classic 4, but not long enough to really say anything more than it sounded nice. My impressions: The Paradigm seemed too forward in the mids. The Regas had a great sound, imaged well, nice soundstage, maybe a bit light on bass, and overall just a little thin. The B&W 684 was just okay while the 683 sounded much nicer to me. The overall balance and sound of the 683 seemed good, the mids and bass were nice, the highs maybe a bit off?, I also felt like the music didn't come together completely into a whole by the time it got to my listening position - maybe it was the room or maybe I was sitting too close (approx. 9ft. or so) - but it was the approx. distance that I would sit at home. The Dalis I really liked. Overall good balance, presented a coherent, unified musical 'picture', wide sweet spot for listening. Maybe a bit light in the bass, but I have feeling that could have been due to the room (a wide open store - not a separate listening room). Really liked this speaker. Would like to hear the Monitor Audio RX6 again, but I think the Dali Ikon 6 mkII is the front-runner. I'd still like to hear the Salk SongTower too. Given what I've read about it, sounds like a great speaker. I wonder if I'd find it too lean and/or bass shy?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if I'd find it too lean and/or bass shy?
If you use a sub with the towers, then it will not be a problem.

Otherwise, you better get towers that will go down to 35Hz @ -3dB from 90dB Reference/1 meter distance.

C

chitownaudio

Audiophyte
If you use a sub with the towers, then it will not be a problem.

Otherwise, you better get towers that will go down to 35Hz @ -3dB from 90dB Reference/1 meter distance.
I do have a sub, but I was hoping to leave it for movies and leave it off for 2 channel music listening. Maybe not a good idea?

I think the Monitor Audio RX8 goes down past 35Hz. Thought they might be too big for my room though, so looked at the RX6.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis