HiFi vs Pro / High Current vs High Wattage

K

Keith raufer

Enthusiast
Ok, lets forget about weight, cost & salesman bs. What would sound better?
Anything is going to be an improvement over just running them off my old Yamaha RX-765, but at a $200 difference in cost - $700 Crown vs $900 for the Rotel. There has to be a clear winner.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't expect much of an audible difference but only you really can be the judge of that. I find the sound quality of the XLS to be as good as my old 2ch "audiophile" amps. Amps are more about impedance load capabilities/spl/headroom rather than sound quality without those considerations. The Rotel is a tank and has great specs from what I saw, and probably still has some maintainance free years left (how old is it now?) but is there still a warranty? If its an in-store demo maybe they will extend warranty? Either is overkill for your speakers in any case...

K

Keith raufer

Enthusiast
5 years old. they'll give me 1 year warranty.

I'll just tell them i want a demo set up and to direct comparison. I'll let everyone know how i go. wont be able to get the for a week as i'm going away. thanks again for your help guys

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
5 years old. they'll give me 1 year warranty.
That 5 year old plus one year warranty versus the brand new Rotel seems like an even fight, may be go with the look, or flip a coin. If the Rotel was only lightly used and is in top shape then I would probably take it.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
I have a Crown XLS 2502 driving a pair of Salk HT-3's. Sounds great and those speakers are not easy to drive. I have an older Parasound 5 channel HT power amp that weighs 50+ lbs and they sound exactly the same at lower volumes, but the Para can't drive them to high SPL's like the Crown can. Guess 750 WPC into those speakers 4 ohm load makes some difference. ;);)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That 5 year old plus one year warranty versus the brand new Rotel seems like an even fight, may be go with the look, or flip a coin. If the Rotel was only lightly used and is in top shape then I would probably take it.
Think its the new Crown vs demo 5 year old Rotel in this case....

K

Keith raufer

Enthusiast

Rotel ordered, new cables arrived, now to get ready for the big day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis